Writing your Family History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing your Family History

I have been putting it off for years, like many of us, to actually write the stories behind the BMD’s. To get behind the data and find out more about the individuals on my tree. I set myself a bit of a summer project, to write up the life stories of my 8 great grand parents. Also helped me to focus on any missing gaps as well. I was thinking if I don’t write this up now some of my elderly relatives might never get to see the family stories.

Anyway enough rambling. Here’s the first two.........

This is the first in a series of blogs that will tell the tale of my eight Great-grandparents, first up is William Chiddicks. William Chiddicks was born on 18th March 1866, the first born child of …

Next up for my eight Great-Grand parent blog is Frank Day who was born 28th January 1878 at 11, Peacock Street, Gravesend, Kent, the youngest of seven children, born to Thomas Frederick Day and Lou…

I am hoping to encourage others to not keep putting it off like I have for years. I would encourage anybody to get started, however and whatever way suits you best, just try to get the stories down to share with your loved ones.
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

I've been reading your stories via twitter. I read your Essex one with interest the other day to see if I recognised any names/locations from the Manning's diary.

I've been doing mine on and off since I retired in 2008 and am on the 4th or 5th incarnation of my website now but I need to get some more articles done.

In case new members haven't come across it, lots of our members contributed to the 500+ articles in the online magazine which ran from August 2007 to Autumn 2010. I am in the process of moving that from joomla to wordpress as the current version has hiccups - like not being very phone friendly!! There is a link in the bar above and also via the Reference Library Menu.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Caroline, I have put off writing my story for many different reason over the years, but it has helped me to see where the gaps are and ask the questions of elderly relatives that I might not have done otherwise.Thats why I would urge everyone to get something down in writing now, before its too late! My tree had grown far too big, without enough depth to the stories, so I am trying to slowly add the story behind the cold facts.

Comment

It is looking good.

I did quite a bit ages ago for my Dad, and included general history of the area, and how it changed whilst the family lived there, they were in North London and it changed from semi rural to urban, must revisit and add more pictures. it was too wordy really!

I have a gallery for lots of items 'collected' like photo albums and stories sent to me by other distant relatives, I will be honest I don't really have anyone that seems interested, so somehow do not get spurred on to do it!
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          It is looking good.

I did quite a bit ages ago for my Dad, and included general history of the area, and how it changed whilst the family lived there, they were in North London and it changed from semi rural to urban, must revisit and add more pictures. it was too wordy really!

I have a gallery for lots of items 'collected' like photo albums and stories sent to me by other distant relatives, I will be honest I don't really have anyone that seems interested, so somehow do not get spurred on to do it!
          That's where I was lucky - my mother and brother were both interested and both wrote articles for the magazine for us and thus my website. :D

I also found some interesting occupations to follow up in my Glaswegian potters and cotton weavers and my carpet weavers and glass decorators.
          Caroline
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

...that is what I need, love the thought of all those occupations.

My mothers grandfather (and Father) moved on from wheelwrights to be coachbuilders, and I have some lovely pictures of 3 'vehicles' that they built. We have a museum with loads similar in Luton - the Mossiman collection, sadly none by the Lugg bros!

they are in this album

Scan3_001.jpg

Apparently one of my Luggs walked from Cornwall to London, and made the newspaper, but I can't find the article. My mum had a copy and we can't find it...one day I am sure it will be found.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

There are lots of fellow family tree enthusiasts who are always very interested to hear the stories of other people’s families.....

It is looking good.

Comment

Love the photos Carolyn, some great pictures in your album. The three carts look wonderful, if only they could tell a story.

...that is what I need, love the thought of all those occupations.

My mothers grandfather (and Father) moved on from wheelwrights to be coachbuilders, and I have some lovely pictures of 3 'vehicles' that they built. We have a museum with loads similar in Luton - the Mossiman collection, sadly none by the Lugg bros!

they are in this album

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20174[/ATTACH]

Apparently one of my Luggs walked from Cornwall to London, and made the newspaper, but I can't find the article. My mum had a copy and we can't find it...one day I am sure it will be found.

Comment

Very good looking work. I wouldn’t dare attempt anything like this. I exported a part of my tree to form a new one for some cousins. I noticed a few missing facts, then I thought that my master sources could do with a tidy up and improved as what I made up for myself all those years ago when I started out are far from up to scratch. Rather than pass on something sub standard, I spent ages sorting it so they will hopefully carry on with good habits. I thought I was nearly done but hey ho! now I see there are loads of unsourced facts. The result of cramming in as much as I could during visits to Edinburgh and forgetting to add in the sources later. I think I will just let them add them in as they find them. They can ask me if I know what they should be.
                  The really big job comes when I have to upgrade my master tree. The thought of starting on that is mind numbing LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                    Love the photos Carolyn, some great pictures in your album. The three carts look wonderful, if only they could tell a story.
                    they are great aren't they, these were wheelwrights that came from Cornwall, and I think the one that walked to London, then must have set up business, not quite sure how, but my grandfather did still run the business in the 1940s, and guess it was all change with Ford etc, and all the small independents were finished. My Mum doesn't really know what happened. it certainly peaked my interested in the motor industry, never realised that these coachbuilders built "cars" around engines.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      Very good looking work. I wouldn’t dare attempt anything like this. I exported a part of my tree to form a new one for some cousins. I noticed a few missing facts, then I thought that my master sources could do with a tidy up and improved as what I made up for myself all those years ago when I started out are far from up to scratch. Rather than pass on something sub standard, I spent ages sorting it so they will hopefully carry on with good habits. I thought I was nearly done but hey ho! now I see there are loads of unsourced facts. The result of cramming in as much as I could during visits to Edinburgh and forgetting to add in the sources later. I think I will just let them add them in as they find them. They can ask me if I know what they should be.
                      The really big job comes when I have to upgrade my master tree. The thought of starting on that is mind numbing LOL
                      you could give word press or blogger a go, I find blogger really easy and costs nothing to use.

I have a few set up see this one:
                      crafting and making, handmade bags, accessories and cards for sale. Gardening and day to day life.

and completely different style:
                      A blog about trips out from Ampthill, such as gardens, shopping, eating
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

and well done Paul C at getting Thurrock to use the surname - that is lovely
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

wow ..

Comment

In a similar I wanted to prune my tree and almost decided to completely start it again, but the thought of that was soul destroying. So I decided to resource the main trunk of my tree and from there came the idea of documenting their stories. I would encourage anybody to start this, even if you don’t publish anything online, get it down and share with your own family.

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Comment

It’s wonderful that you know the story and that the business stayed in the family for so long.

they are great aren't they, these were wheelwrights that came from Cornwall, and I think the one that walked to London, then must have set up business, not quite sure how, but my grandfather did still run the business in the 1940s, and guess it was all change with Ford etc, and all the small independents were finished. My Mum doesn't really know what happened. it certainly peaked my interested in the motor industry, never realised that these coachbuilders built "cars" around engines.

Comment

That’s almost a story in itself, it took years to achieve that

and well done Paul C at getting Thurrock to use the surname - that is lovely

Comment

CD585F59-1C02-40D5-9280-CBA2BF27E619.jpg

Using these family record sheets that I made, helped me to focus on where the gaps in my tree were

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20181[/ATTACH]

Using these family record sheets that I made, helped me to focus on where the gaps in my tree were
                                    That's very handy - we have some in the Reference Library (made by Elaine ..Spain if memory serves) which would also help the cause, but not all on one page.

Caroline

Comment

If anybody wants a copy feel free to pm me and feel free to add this to the reference library if you think it will be handy

Comment

This was a particularly difficult story to write......

This is the third in my series of eight blogs, telling the life story of my great grandparents, next up is “Granny Ens”. This story covers the very tough life of my Great-Grandmother El…

Comment

Working...
                                        X