Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    I don't have mine for the 24th of July - guess I better send a email then
    I wouldn't bother - Peter just said that from his observations it's just getting better:

"Will log-jam seems to be easing
    Judging from recent contributions to the discussion on the LostCousins Forum the Probate Service (or rather, their contractors) are at last beginning to clear the backlog of wills, many ordered as long ago as July, and supposedly due for delivery more than 2 months ago."

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

• All mine have now arrived and I have sent in for a few more. Glutton for punishment!

Bev
      Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

• I'm still waiting for my August 10 order of 4 wills. I wish they would send a note to say they are working on it BUT that would take a lot of time to send a note to everyone still waiting that would be better spent working their way through the orders. Oh dear about hiring outside help to catch up. Maybe the One pound fifty cost won't last.
        Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

• In the last few days, I have received 12 of the 16 wills ordered Jul 30, due Aug 14.
          Glen

Comment

• That's good, Glen. I hope they have been useful.

All the wills I ordered on 23rd July came ages ago. I think I was one of the first to order. Then I ordered 16 more on 12th August. They were due on 27th August. One came very quickly as it was from a couple of years ago, but I suspect I still have a wait for the others. I have more I want to order too.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              That's good, Glen. I hope they have been useful.

All the wills I ordered on 23rd July came ages ago. I think I was one of the first to order. Then I ordered 16 more on 12th August. They were due on 27th August. One came very quickly as it was from a couple of years ago, but I suspect I still have a wait for the others. I have more I want to order too.
              Still waiting for mine which were ordered in mid August ....
              Caroline
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

• Still only had one of mine ordered 24th July and waiting for the other. No sign of the ones ordered 19th and 31st August.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• I'm still waiting for my first lot due 25 Aug but have had some of the ones I ordered after then but the first ones were direct ancestors which will hopefully be useful to me.
                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

• No sign of mine ordered 6th August and no response to my query email either, despite getting the inital reply that said they dealt with queries in 2 days!
                    Lynn

Comment

• I was very excited to see that one of my wills ordered 10th August had arrived. Nope - rejected because there was no folio number so I have to reapply and repay. According to their instructions if there is no number leave the box blank - which I did, so a stroppy email has gone to them. :(
                      Caroline

Comment

• That's interesting Caroline. I may have a similar problem with one I ordered on the 16th August as the folio number last digit could have been one of two possibles and I put the most likely....Bet it turns out to be the other one!

Still waiting for my first one, ordered 27th July:(

Chris
                        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

• Oh no! I woner why Caroline? I ordered 3 about 2 years ago and they didn't have folio nos either yet I got them within a couple of weeks. I have only ordered 5 this time but none of mine have a folio number.
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• My first will arrived today - ordered on 7th August, with a delivery day of 22/8. So just over 2 months late. Still waiting for 2 more, ordered on 8th August - wonder if they will come tomorrow.
                            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• I don't understand why they didn't index them in an online ordering system. Then you don't need to fuss about with the images.

Comment

• I've been looking more closely at what went wrong and I think it wasn't the lack of folio number so we can all stop panicking and I will follow up yesterdays' email. I guess there will be others who get caught out from ordering from these pages in the index.

I remembered that I had had a job to find it in the first place and had another look. I am guessing that a relief searcher isn't very good at lateral thinking.

The will (administration) is for Benjamin Cheesman who died in Littlehampton in 1883.
                                He doesn't appear on the 3 pages of Cheesmans' search for 1883 ... he is on the bottom of the first of the next set of pages - the pages for 1884 deaths.
                                On these pages all the dates of probate are first and the date of death in the text, the second or latter date.
                                The registry is Chichester - not an issue there.
                                There is no handwritten number close by, just a typed page number.

Caroline

Comment

• Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  I don't understand why they didn't index them in an online ordering system. Then you don't need to fuss about with the images.
                                  you would think wouldn't you!, then when it all went wrong you would put up notices on the site, and then deal with the oldest first....

the management has been very poorly handled.

A friend of mine wants to buy a house and is waiting for probate for the family and apparently there is a massive delay on this too.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• great excitement here. ordered 4 wills on Aug 10 ... one arrived yesterday..One pound fifty to learn nothing. Just your standard convert everything to cash, wife gets income, kids get their share on death. Today I woke up to another one. It had the names of the children and I learned the name of the spouse of one of the daughters. So a useful one pound fifty. maybe tomorrow there will be another one. Good luck to the rest of you. Maybe the backlog of a dam has been broken and the wills have started to flow again.
                                    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

• I received my first one yesterday as well. Not a great deal of info on it, but it was interesting. Just one more to come now, although I might order a couple more.
                                      Lynn

Comment

• Just received one of my first wills I ordered of my 2 x G Grandmother.

She died in 1911, had been a widow from 1860 and was living with her son.

She owned 2 houses and had shares in Worskop Gas Light and coke company.

She left everything to her son for his lifetime and then to my G Grandma for her life time, then to be auctioned off to be shared between the grandchildren.

My Dad always said his Grandma, her daughter owned houses but I couldn't understand why if she lived in rented accommodation. He was right and now I feel a bit sad as he only died last year and I can't let him know it was true.

Never thought someone who was quite 'ordinary' and probably very poor bringing up 4 children on her own in those days and a widow would have been a house owner.
                                        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

• My first will of 15 ordered on 12th August has now arrived! All 15 pages of it!

The testator was a lawyer, which accounts for the verbosity of the testament. I could summarise it very briefly...
                                          Elizabeth
                                          Research Interests:
                                          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                                          X