interesting snippet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting snippet

found an entry in the burial register of kirby le soken in essex which was quite intriguing, so had to share:

6 mar 1759- "john taylor, who upon death was found to be a woman, she had lived in the parish above 20 yrs in a man's habit, and got her lively-hood by the trade of a taylor."

What a find!

Comment

Lol! No wonder we can't find some of our ancestors!

OC

Comment

what a great find.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Lol! No wonder we can't find some of our ancestors!

OC
          It gives me so much anxiety haha

especially when you see notes about travellers or unknown people dying in inns or found drowned. There are so many ancestors you can't kill off, some would have had fates such as this.

Comment

I also wonder who she was. Was she a lesbian? Transgender? Escaping an abusive family? Someone who wanted to work and not be constrained by the roles of their time?

Comment

This is the version on FreeReg .............

- - - - - - - -
              Burial person forename John
              Burial person surname ?
              Notes John ye Taylor who upon death was found to be a woman - she had lived in ye parish above 20 years in a man's habit and got her livelyhood by the trade of a Taylor.

- - - - - - - -

In other words, they didn't know the surname, so I guess that someone who transcribed the Parish Register that you saw had assigned the surname "Taylor to her. This transcription says John ye Taylor, or John the Taylor.

I did try to google the name to see if there was anything to be found!
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Great find that
                My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Sorry, it's my nit picking rising up again ..........tailoring was exclusively a male trade and apprenticeships started young, so how did a very young female get away with it?

(Oh for a time machine!)

OC

Comment

OC

that's probably why she dressed and behaved as a man!

Could have learnt her trad as a dressmaker, or been dressing as a man since before apprenticeship
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

But she would have been little more than a child, apprenticeship started at 12 and someone would have had to either pay for that or sponsor her. Whoever was responsible for her, parents or poor law guardian, who would have known her sex.

As I said, oh for a time machine!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        But she would have been little more than a child, apprenticeship started at 12 and someone would have had to either pay for that or sponsor her. Whoever was responsible for her, parents or poor law guardian, who would have known her sex.

As I said, oh for a time machine!

OC
                        Perhaps her father was a tailor?
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline

Yes, that would work! Thankyou, I can now have a good night's sleep, lol.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                            OC

that's probably why she dressed and behaved as a man!

Could have learnt her trade as a dressmaker, or been dressing as a man since before apprenticeship
                            That's exactly what I thought too

Comment

Working...
                            X