Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No further information

No further information

Hi there,

I've become stuck with my 4th Great Grandfather James Milne.

The information I have is as follows:

James Milne born approx. 1795 at Essie Aberdeenshire Scotland died 3 March 1841 married Margaret Watt born approx. 1795 Gartly Aberdeenshire, no record of her death. Her parents were William Watt and Mary McGregor. Their wedding date was 20 May 1821. They had one son Alexander Milne born 1821 in Gartly Aberdeenshire and James also fathered another son Robert around the same time that Alexander was born, the mother was Elizabeth Paterson. Elizabeth remained single.

I have no confirmed evidence of James Milne's parents, so my tree has come to a halt!

Can anyone see anything that I have missed? From my understanding Milne was a pretty common name in those areas at that time.

Thank you

She could be one of these three from a search at ScotlandsPeople. All are MILNE, Margaret or WATT with a birth year of 1795 +/-5

Surname
    MILNE
    Forename
    MARGARET
    Age at death
    Year
    Ref
    142/ 16
    RD Name
    St Andrews Llanbryd (Moray)

Surname
    MILNE
    Forename
    MARGARET
    Age at death
    Year
    Ref
    248/ 3
    RD Name
    Tyrie (Aberdeen)

Surname
    MILNE
    Forename
    MARGARET
    Age at death
    Year
    Ref
    218/ 46
    RD Name
    Longside
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-07-19 at 19:17.

Thank you GallowayLass,

I will give those a go.

Blog Entries
    You might want to look to see if Margaret remarried, being a widow until her death with a child to support might have been quite difficult. As James died in 1841 I'd be looking for another marriage after his death.

Then to see about James.... I would be looking at all the Milne births in 1795 +/- 5yrs on somewhere like Familysearch, see if you can create 'families' and then follow those to try and eliminate them.

I've not got many Scottish connections so not quite where aside from Scotlands People and Familysearch I'm not sure where else you can look.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Have you tried ANESFHS? (Aberdeen and North East Scotland FHS). They have burial records, amongst other things and I have found them useful for sorting out my Milnes!

OC

She may well have remarried after the 1841 death of James but it would not have been for the need of providing for a child. Alexander would have been 20 years old and most likely have become the breadwinner for his mother. If he was not married already then he probably soon would be.
    Also, as Julie suggested, try looking for James’ baptism and see if there were any with a father called Alexander. If the traditional naming patterns were followed then Alexander 1821 (first and only child going by the marriage date and the child’s birth year plus your research) would be named after his paternal grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Have you tried ANESFHS? (Aberdeen and North East Scotland FHS). They have burial records, amongst other things and I have found them useful for sorting out my Milnes!

OC

And OC has beaten me to my next suggestion LOL

I searched familysearch.org for an Aberdeenshire birth or baptism 1793-1976 for James MILNE with a father Alexander. There was only one result and it’s in the right area of the county to be a possible.

BF7863A0-9A55-4736-B850-33900A87C12F.jpeg

There is only one marriage in Aberdeenshire on SP (two entries but I believe the same marriage having been recorded in the bride’s and groom’s own parishes). Note the two parish names. One matches the baptism of James as found above, the other matches one of the deaths found for a MILNE or WATT, Margaret. As the earlier of the two dates was recorded in Longside, that should have been Margaret’s home parish. She could well have gone back to family in her old age. If you get some credit for ScotlandsPeople, I would plump for the Longside one first as the most likely.

Surname
    MILNE
    Forename
    ALEXANDER
    Spouse Name
    MARGARET JOHNSTON/
    Date
    23/06/1791
    Parish Number
    218/
    Ref
    20 48
    Parish
    Longside

Surname
    MILNE
    Forename
    ALEXANDER
    Spouse Name
    MARGARET JOHNSTON/
    Date
    24/06/1791
    Parish Number
    228/
    Ref
    20 348
    Parish
    Old Deer
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-07-19 at 09:48. Reason: predictive text!

Hi Julie,

Thank you very much for your information. I will try and give that a go with James, in regard to Margaret, I don't have any information on whether she remarried, I thought that Margaret she may of died young but have no proof..

Thanks again