Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No further information

Hi there,

I've become stuck with my 4th Great Grandfather James Milne.

The information I have is as follows:

James Milne born approx. 1795 at Essie Aberdeenshire Scotland died 3 March 1841 married Margaret Watt born approx. 1795 Gartly Aberdeenshire, no record of her death. Her parents were William Watt and Mary McGregor. Their wedding date was 20 May 1821. They had one son Alexander Milne born 1821 in Gartly Aberdeenshire and James also fathered another son Robert around the same time that Alexander was born, the mother was Elizabeth Paterson. Elizabeth remained single.

I have no confirmed evidence of James Milne's parents, so my tree has come to a halt!

Can anyone see anything that I have missed? From my understanding Milne was a pretty common name in those areas at that time.

Thank you

She could be one of these three from a search at ScotlandsPeople. All are MILNE, Margaret or WATT with a birth year of 1795 +/-5

Surname
    MILNE
    Forename
    MARGARET
    Age at death
    Year
    Ref
    142/ 16
    RD Name
    St Andrews Llanbryd (Moray)

Surname
    MILNE
    Forename
    MARGARET
    Age at death
    Year
    Ref
    248/ 3
    RD Name
    Tyrie (Aberdeen)

Surname
    MILNE
    Forename
    MARGARET
    Age at death
    Year
    Ref
    218/ 46
    RD Name
    Longside
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-07-19, 19:17.

Comment

Thank you GallowayLass,

I will give those a go.

Comment

You might want to look to see if Margaret remarried, being a widow until her death with a child to support might have been quite difficult. As James died in 1841 I'd be looking for another marriage after his death.

Then to see about James.... I would be looking at all the Milne births in 1795 +/- 5yrs on somewhere like Familysearch, see if you can create 'families' and then follow those to try and eliminate them.

I've not got many Scottish connections so not quite where aside from Scotlands People and Familysearch I'm not sure where else you can look.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Have you tried ANESFHS? (Aberdeen and North East Scotland FHS). They have burial records, amongst other things and I have found them useful for sorting out my Milnes!

OC

Comment

She may well have remarried after the 1841 death of James but it would not have been for the need of providing for a child. Alexander would have been 20 years old and most likely have become the breadwinner for his mother. If he was not married already then he probably soon would be.
            Also, as Julie suggested, try looking for James’ baptism and see if there were any with a father called Alexander. If the traditional naming patterns were followed then Alexander 1821 (first and only child going by the marriage date and the child’s birth year plus your research) would be named after his paternal grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Have you tried ANESFHS? (Aberdeen and North East Scotland FHS). They have burial records, amongst other things and I have found them useful for sorting out my Milnes!

OC

And OC has beaten me to my next suggestion LOL

Comment

I searched familysearch.org for an Aberdeenshire birth or baptism 1793-1976 for James MILNE with a father Alexander. There was only one result and it’s in the right area of the county to be a possible.

BF7863A0-9A55-4736-B850-33900A87C12F.jpeg

Comment

There is only one marriage in Aberdeenshire on SP (two entries but I believe the same marriage having been recorded in the bride’s and groom’s own parishes). Note the two parish names. One matches the baptism of James as found above, the other matches one of the deaths found for a MILNE or WATT, Margaret. As the earlier of the two dates was recorded in Longside, that should have been Margaret’s home parish. She could well have gone back to family in her old age. If you get some credit for ScotlandsPeople, I would plump for the Longside one first as the most likely.

Surname
                  MILNE
                  Forename
                  ALEXANDER
                  Spouse Name
                  MARGARET JOHNSTON/
                  Date
                  23/06/1791
                  Parish Number
                  218/
                  Ref
                  20 48
                  Parish
                  Longside

Surname
                  MILNE
                  Forename
                  ALEXANDER
                  Spouse Name
                  MARGARET JOHNSTON/
                  Date
                  24/06/1791
                  Parish Number
                  228/
                  Ref
                  20 348
                  Parish
                  Old Deer
                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-07-19, 09:48. Reason: predictive text!

Comment

Hi Julie,

Thank you very much for your information. I will try and give that a go with James, in regard to Margaret, I don't have any information on whether she remarried, I thought that Margaret she may of died young but have no proof..

Thanks again

Comment

Thank you OC,

I will try that when I get home from work today, thank you for the tip!

Glenys

Comment

haha got to be quick! Thanks again GallowayLass

Comment

Hi GallowayLass,

I have some records of her parents. Margaret Watt born before 4 April 1795 to William Watt b. 6 Oct 1751 and Mary McGregor b. 1758.

Is Longside near Gartly? I will get on to Scots People when I return from work this afternoon.

Thank you for your help once again

Comment

Longside parish borders Old Deer parish on the west side. On its east side Longside borders Peterhead parish.
                            Rhynie and Essie as it was known when the parishes combined borders Gartly parish but those two are not near Langside parish. They are way over to the west of there.

Here’s link to a parishes of Aberdeenshire map. http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-aberdeen.htm
                            Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-07-19, 18:31.

Comment

I have found a tree on ancestry which has James and Margaret but the baptism of that James is 1786 about a decade before the date you posted. The parents are given as James MILNE and Catherine LUKE. They have four children and there are no death dates for James or his wife Margaret WATT.
                              How sure are you that your date is correct and where did you get the death date of 3 March 1841 from?
                              The tree owner is an active user who logged in yesterday. His username is laburnum31. I think you should contact him and ask about how sure he is about the facts he has for James.
                              There are also two private trees which I found searching for James and Margaret’s son Alexander. One is unsourced (username Kindness1965) but the other has a lot of sources and the user is actively searching the Milne family from your area. Username is JackieC and again she has logged in today. I think you should definitely contact her.

There are heaps of other trees found by entering nothing other than James MILNE and spouse Margaret WATT in Aberdeenshire. Some have the 1786 baptism date and some the 1795/6. From a quick look at the public ones, it’s clear that folks have quite a few differing facts including one where James did not die till 1891 in Banff!!!
                              Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-07-19, 19:24.

Comment

Bearing in mind all the above - my theory that your James MILNE’s father should have been Alexander as James called his son Alexander could well be a red herring making the people in posts #8 and 9 wrong.

Comment

Hi Galloway Lass,

I have been in contact with JackieC and she gave me the date of death because she went to the grave. There is no birth date but this is the information that she gave me after she saw the grave.

Two of the Headstone in EssieChurchyard. which reads
                                  1862 - In memory of James Milne latefarmer in Glack of Essie who died. 3d Mar.1841 aged 45 years; also inloving memory of Mary Gall wife of Robert Milne, mason, Tonburn, Rhynied. 2. Oct 1866 aged 36 years; also the above Robert Milne who died at Newtown,Sydney, N.S.W. 11 July 1898 aged 77 years. Erected by his son Robert.

This is the only clue I have to the death dateand birth date of Alexander and Robert's father James Milne. Robert Milne was astone mason so I'm glad he erected this stone but there are no burial recordsfor Rhynie and Essie in Aberdeenshire. They are described as deficient.

I hope this helps.

Glenys

Comment

Thanks Galloway Lass,

Yes, the fact that there are so many James Milne's around that time in that area, makes it very difficult.

As mentioned, JC and I have been in contact, she is very helpful. However, she does not have any parents for James, as she has no proof and will not accept parents' names without proof, being such a common name.

JC and I have turned out to be 3rd cousins from DNA tests, so we are definitely related

Cheers
                                    Glenys

Comment

Working...
                                    X