Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service Record for The Royal Engineers 1891? finding Richard Kean b Manchester 1860

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holly View Post
    I have fairly high DNA Matches to a Kean family in Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. I match to the Father, Nephew and Grandson.

The only link that I have managed to work out is that Thomas Kean, Born Manchester 1860 married Mary Ann Elizabeth KAY.

Also, Mary Ann Elizabeth Kay's sister, Sarah Hannah Kay, married John Kean, Born Manchester 1866.

Mary Ann and Sarah Hannah Kay's Parents were Samuel James KAY and Sarah KAY.

At some stage, Thomas and Mary Ann Kean must have emigrated to Canada. I haven't found out when...

Holly.
    Thomas Kean is Richards Brother, and also there is a John

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 20-07-19, 22:03.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Mis transcribed as KEYE!

Thanks Carolyn :-)

Holly.

Comment

can't see him going to Canada
        here in 1911

couple of Thomas deaths that could fit, in Hulme.

could it be one of his 12 children that went?
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 20-07-19, 23:05.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

This could be his death:
          Name: Thomas Kean
          Death Age: 86
          Birth Date: abt 1858
          Registration Date: Jul 1944
          [Aug 1944]
          [Sep 1944]
          Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
          Registration district: Manchester
          Inferred County: Lancashire
          Volume: 8d
          Page: 300
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

I have fairly high DNA Matches to... the Father, Nephew and Grandson....

Holly.
            Have you migrated your results as much as you can? Gedmatch, familytreeDNA, MyHeritage and LivingDNA will all accept uploads from other test sites. Charges vary. Fish in as many ponds as you can!

And - you need at least the father, and preferably also the nephew, to also migrate their results, especially if they have only tested at Ancestry. Knowing where you match will allow you to created Triangulated Groups, indicating a common ancestor.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-07-19, 01:41.

Comment

Yes PhotoFamily,

I've up uploaded to GEDMatch, My Heritage, Family Tree DNA, etc. I've also tested with Living DNA.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to persuade my DNA match in Canada to upload anywhere else:-(

A lot of people have some funny ideas about DNA! I think that people also think that DNA test results are 'set in stone' and can't see the point of pursuing it further:-(

Holly.

Comment

A lot of people have some funny ideas about DNA! I think that people also think that DNA test results are 'set in stone' and can't see the point of pursuing it further
                Might be more the privacy concerns re what is done to your dna and who can access it. Especially after they are catching killers with the databases, the general public thinks the authorities are given rough shod access, when we all know they can only see what we do, the dna matches.

Comment

GedMatch updated their Privacy policy a short while back, - you can now choose if you wish to allow your DNA to be available for searching or not.

I'm guessing this was after 2 high profile cases were solved by using their data bases; the 'Buckskin Girl' murder and the 'Golden state' killer?

Holly.

Comment

I assume that they do not have any of this Kean family in their tree? Any Manchester Keans?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, they have several Thomas Keans, from Manchester, but some of it is guesswork. They haven't ordered any BMD Certs, or anything like that.

Holly.

Comment

I've now had a reply from The Royal Engineers Museum in Kent concerning who was at Shorncliffe Camp during the 1891 Census:

'A former Royal Engineers Librarian completed a list of companies and their locations for the period. I am pleased to say that after searching each company I can confirm that 38 Company were in Shorncliffe from 1889-1892 and the commanding officer was Major C H Darling

1892 moved to Chatham

1894 to Aldershot

1897 Curragh

1899 South Africa for the Boer War (no more detailed info into where though)

1905 Stobs Camp, Roxburgshire

1906 Disbanded

Before Shorncliffe the company was in Curragh.

Which is all very interesting, - however, it doesn't really help me to ascertain whether any records remain concerning possible desertions beween 1891 - '93...

Holly.

Comment

Have you managed to find any other data, not sure where you had got to.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Haven't made much progress I'm afraid Carolyn.

Have been dealing with my Mother's death and funeral.

Just got this reply from the RE Museum today.

Holly.

Comment

aww I am sorry to hear your news :(
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks Carolyn,

She was 95, - but we only have one Mother, - and so it's a loss:-(

Holly

Comment

how true, my parents are a similar age.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

If Richard Kean were a deserter - would there be a list of deserters anywhere, and can it be recovered?

But didn't you say that he seemed to have money that allowed him to set up his business, and that you thought (or knew?) that it was from the RE service? I don't think he would have had any reward for deserting ;)
                                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-10-19, 18:14.

Comment

No lists of deserters were kept in peacetime.

I'm merely guessing that he's possibly my Grandfather. Some of my DNA Matches are from the Kean/Butler families from Manchester. Richard Kean, born 1860 Manchester, was the son of Richard Kean and Frances Butler.

In the report into Bankruptcy proceedings against my Grandfather in Swansea in 1899, he says that he started his Business with the sum of £36 in 1895. There is no way of knowing where this came from!

Holly.

Comment

Just reviewing everything that I have on this family...

A kind person on the Manchester Forum found the Baptisms at St Wilfreds RC Church, Hulme, (now held at The Lancashire Archives) for Mary Agnes, Joseph, and Catherine Kean, between 1882 and 1885.

I’ve now found 3 Admissions for Richard Kean to The Manchester Workhouse (Withington) between 1891 and 1893. If I’m reading it correctly, it looks like he Died in The Workhouse in January 1893:-(

And so Richard Kean, born Manchester 1860, wasn’t my Grandfather...!

Holly.

Comment

• I don't recall all the details - wasn't there 2 Richard Keans in Manchester?

did you make any progress the DNA match?
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X