Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service Record for The Royal Engineers 1891? finding Richard Kean b Manchester 1860

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW - I have lost count of the times that "Mary" has been read as "Marg" and corrected by some over enthusiastic clerk to "Margaret".

OC

Comment

Well it is all looking very logical, not sure if you can ever prove it all, but a marriage cert and death cert may help?

can't find them in 1881 though.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

They're Lodging with Mary Gallagher at:

7 Gardner St, Manchester on the 1881 Census:
        Ref:RG11 Piece 3931 Folio 19 Page 32.

Now all I need to do is to try and find him on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses!

Holly.

Comment

Which was the last certificate you have that took you back to Richard Kean jnr Holly?
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The Marriage between Richard Kean (Senior) and Frances Butler, - Parents of the Richard Kean that I'm trying to follow.

Holly.

Comment

Thank you
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                They're Lodging with Mary Gallagher at:

7 Gardner St, Manchester on the 1881 Census:
                Ref:RG11 Piece 3931 Folio 19 Page 32.

Now all I need to do is to try and find him on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses!

Holly.
                doh - yes I knew that...no idea what I was thinking
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

For those who haven't/can't see it:
                  From his service Record
                  Address 6 Harper St Manchester a painter.
                  No 2014 - 3rd Battalion Manchester Regiment. Militia.
                  Ashton under Lyne was the County Depot
                  He signed up for 6 years (actually 7y 4 m) from 17 Nov 1886. age 22y 10m

He was unmarried according to his father Richard of 6 Harper St who vouched and signed for the recruit!!!!!
                  Do you think he was lying?
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I suppose if you're Widowed, then technically speaking you're Unmarried?

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      For those who haven't/can't see it:
                      From his service Record
                      Address 6 Harper St Manchester a painter.
                      No 2014 - 3rd Battalion Manchester Regiment. Militia.
                      Ashton under Lyne was the County Depot
                      He signed up for 6 years (actually 7y 4 m) from 17 Nov 1886. age 22y 10m

He was unmarried according to his father Richard of 6 Harper St who vouched and signed for the recruit!!!!!
                      Do you think he was lying?
                      I think the 7 years 4months was how long Richard had resided at 6 Harper Street??

Cant see a death for Mary Ann or Mgt between 1880 and 1886.

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 16-07-19, 12:37.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                        I think the 7 years 4months was how long Richard had resided at 6 Harper Street??

Cant see a death for Mary Ann or Mgt between 1880 and 1886.

Vera
                        If he had been there that long then he would be a different one to the lodger in 1881 - or that is a fib too!
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

I've tried comparing the Signature of his Attestation Form, to my Grandfather's Signature on the 1911 Census.

They look very similar to me!

Holly.Richard Kean -signature.jpg

Comment

WmJasWilson1911Crop.jpg

Comment

I've copied the part of the 1911 Census where he lists his son's names, - the 'Richard Wilson' looks very similar to the 'Richard Kean' Signature to me?

Holly.

Comment

How weird! I posted a death earlier today, it has vanished!

Mary Ann Kean aged 29 in 1891, Hulme district.

OC
                                Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 16-07-19, 18:21. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                                  I've copied the part of the 1911 Census where he lists his son's names, - the 'Richard Wilson' looks very similar to the 'Richard Kean' Signature to me?

Holly.
                                  it certainly does, but would say a lot of handwriting is similar, wonder if there is a way you can get it analysed, maybe a piece of software that does that sort of thing?
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                    If he had been there that long then he would be a different one to the lodger in 1881 - or that is a fib too!
                                    actually we know it to be a fib, as he is not with the family in 1881
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

This might make it easier to see:Richard-cf.jpg

Holly.

Comment

Who is William James Wilson? Did he sign the 1911 census? If so then the William from that census would have written out all the family names himself. I cannot see why you are comparing Richard Wilson b 1904 with a Richard Kean.
                                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) was my late Grandfather. I've never been able to find him anywhere before his Marriage to my Grandmother Margaret Rees in Swansea in 1893. I've been looking for him for the last 40 years.He says on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses that he was Born in Manchester.

Richard Kean was Born in Manchester in 1860. I have DNA matches to many of his descendants. After he signed up for The Manchester Regiment in 1886, he is nowhere to be seen until (possibly) the 1891 Census. There is a Sapper in The Royal Engineers who could be him. He then disappears. He doesn't appear on the 1901 or 1911 Censuses.

I think it possible that Richard Kean/William James Wilson were one and the same person. That's why I'm comparing their writing of the name 'Richard'. Richard Wilson on the 1911 Census was my late Uncle.

Holly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X