Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service Record for The Royal Engineers 1891? finding Richard Kean b Manchester 1860

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Typed having not seen latest posting. Not sure if that is a crossing out or underline.

Bit of a quandary with the 1924 death in April. I can see on Ancestry WW Herbert and Catherine on a manifest

Laconia leaving Liverpool for Boston 08 July 1913

Johnson Herbert 24 Clerk b Oswaldsworth
    " Catherine 27 H /Wice b -

Last permanent residence USA Waterto?n
    ​​
    Destination 70 ? Ave, E Waterto?n, Mass

Then a manifest for same ship and date of 08/O7/1913 but not sure if that is the arrival date or departure. It is typed and overlays an Aliens Arrivals passenger list. This has Herbert on passenger list but then has list of 'not on board' which includes Mr H Johnson and Mrs Johnson.

​​​​Will look for later arrivals to Boston.

Carolyn newspaper article re marriage on FMP

Vera
    I couldn't decide what the line was, maybe you are right and underline - although wonder what its purpose?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by Holly View Post
      I did wonder about the Catherine en route to Australia...

But Minnie Tucker doesn’t sound the sort of lady who would (knowingly) Marry a bigamist?

Why is nothing about this family straightforwards?

Holly.
      I guess she may not know, if it was the case. The marriage was in Boston area and they are now in NY area.

this can't death though, as the manifest must be written closer to July surely ?

"Death for a Catherine Johnson in New Haven Connecticut - 24 April 1913 (no further info)

Page 2."
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I guess she may not know, if it was the case. The marriage was in Boston area and they are now in NY area.

this can't death though, as the manifest must be written closer to July surely ?

"Death for a Catherine Johnson in New Haven Connecticut - 24 April 1913 (no further info)

Page 2."
        I did wonder about Herbert describing himself as 'single' when boarding with Minnie in 1920. Also last night noted a military naturalization record for Herbert. Need to look at that again. He was at that time ? I 917 in the 7th ?. He is recorded as single again

Vera

Comment

• I am getting confused with him too. Just found him on manifest for Mauretania as clerk - so think the one I found with mechanic must be clerical error?

I have a few records downloaded - that are confusing.

He seems to be born Oswaldtwistle, then lived in Nelson - 259 Southfield St, born 11/8/1888 seems uncertain of his marital status, and have him as a foreman and an accountant/clerk/charity official (which kind of go together)

I am going for crossings out on the sailing record, if this is him on another boat at same time!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

• Another manifest

and Ireland outward passengers

Madonna 08/07/1913 Liverpool to Boston

Johnson, Herbert 24 Clerk. Last residence foreign countries. Intended permanent address USA.o

Ticket no 10499

EDIT

I think I have Catherine arriving December 12th. Will post more info.
            Looked again a lines on other manifests. Agree crossings out.

And how on earth did Madonna get there!
            Vera

Comment

• .https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Capture Petition for nat 1.JPGCapture Naturalisation 2.JPG

Hope you can read them. Petition for naturalisation 1918. Strange he actually says he is not married. Maybe for the purpose of the application it is not relevant if wife has died

Vera

Comment

• he is saying he is single too many times for my liking, I reckon something is fishy! although no idea how you could even proceed with Catherine.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Have found Herbert on leaving manifest on Mauretania and is a mechanic
                  Your photos very useful for reference Carolyn

Same ticket no as the one with the occupation Clerk

So the couple were booked on the Laconia 08/07/1913 but didnt show

Herbert was booked on the Mauritania 08/071913 as a clerk
                  presumable did not show

Herbert was booked on the Mauritania 12/07/1913 . Will check out arrivals after that date EDIT I think you have that one Carolyn. Never quite sure if that is arrival or who has left the UK. Either way not with Catherine. I think she stayed in England

Vera

Comment

• Definitely looks like she stayed and I can't see her again, so maybe back to Kean?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

• https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Arrivals UK

Catherine Johnson Wife aged 27 b 1885

Boston to Liverpool 11/12/1912 SS Ivernia

Vera

Vera

Comment

• oh doh I had that one - but stopped at Kathleen Johnson and thought it was mistranscribed! So she has come over on her own, and had ticket back together that wasn't used.

Maybe she did live and have children.

Lucky I revisited that record, I hadn't spotted her below him last night as was all crossed out.
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 09-09-20, 20:43.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Capture Johnson fmp death.JPG A possible for Catherine

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Burnley reg (for Nelson)from whence Herbert came on manifest 12/07/1913

Catherine Johnson b 1885
                          Died 2nd q 1913 aged 28

This is a death announcement for Burnley at the hospital

Express and Advertiser
                          BMD Burnley
                          23rd May 1913 Catherine Johnson
                          At the hospital

Vera

Comment

• that is interesting, aww, so she did die. Fits better with the crossings, although still unsure why he thought he was single, but maybe it is easier to say that, as correct for pensions etc.
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 10-09-20, 08:32.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

• I have found a newspaper article re another family member in 1921 and the were still at 259 Southfield Street, Nelson. Just in case anything is out there.

Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

• I can't see anything additional on FMP. The brothers mentioned are likely to be Herbert, Arthur and ? James. Sister is Elizabeth Ellen m to Thomas Varley

Have looked at the Keans. Not throwing any links to Richard Kean Jnr. Even the visiting Soldier has no links I can see b Bombay to ?Parents Francis Mackay Colour Sergeant and Mary Jane King nee West. It is possible George Mackay was a fellow Soldier of Richard Kean Jnr

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                  I can't see anything additional on FMP. The brothers mentioned are likely to be Herbert, Arthur and ? James. Sister is Elizabeth Ellen m to Thomas Varley

Have looked at the Keans. Not throwing any links to Richard Kean Jnr. Even the visiting Soldier has no links I can see b Bombay to ?Parents Francis Mackay Colour Sergeant and Mary Jane King nee West. It is possible George Mackay was a fellow Soldier of Richard Kean Jnr

Vera
                                  I have the 1911 census - 10 born - 8 alive it says, just thought if anything found and address was quoted, was interesting to see that there were still there in 1921

I couldn't find anything about George, I feel he must have a link as a visitor and not down as a boarder.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

I have the 1911 census - 10 born - 8 alive it says, just thought if anything found and address was quoted, was interesting to see that there were still there in 1921

I couldn't find anything about George, I feel he must have a link as a visitor and not down as a boarder.
                                    It was sad to see memorial of brother Hugh. Only 18 years old when he died. Such brave young men.

I would have hoped for a memorial for Catherine but then the children were much younger when (and if it is Catherine Kean) died

That visiting Soldier is a puzzle. Think maybe one of Richard's brother's was in the military. Or was that Julie's thread.

Vera

Comment

• Many thanks for looking.

I’m just back from Cornwall, where Internet access was limited, but have been puzzling about this family while away...

So far I’ve been concentrating on Richard Kean’s family and whereabouts, but it seems impossible to find any direct descendants... I can’t help wondering what became of his other daughter, Mary Agnes Kean? I’ve never been able to find a Death for her.

Holly.

Comment

• I looked for Mary Agnes and had no luck, don't know if Vera looked.

Richard is certainly looking good for morphing into someone else as he seems to have vanished.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Yes, I agree Carolyn...

And of course William James Wilson is nowhere to be found before 1893!

Holly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X