Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Portuguese Ancestry ..

Portuguese Ancestry ..

Hello ..
    I'm a new member to this forum ..
    Does anyone know where i can get more info about Portuguese Ancestry ???

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum, our Portugal page is here with some links:

https://www.familytreeforum.com/cont...p/458-Portugal

You will have to know where in portugal your family came from. Have you got this information from birth, death or marriage records?

Familysearch has some portugese records, but i'm not sure what is covered.

well .. i have a full family history from my line .. back through to the 1800's being my grandfather from that era ..

the info i have about him is rather limited .. and even then .. its seemingly not accurate ..

he was a crew member of the harriet armitage which left lyttleton back in 1863 .. which came to australia ..

as for certificates about his birth (somewhere in azores) .. his marriage to his wife .. and his death .. i'm not sure ..

i do have some info about the date of his marriage .. but the handwriting is near illegible ..

hence why i'm on here .. and also doing general research via whatever google can find ..

What state did he settle in? Did he marry in australia? Or bring the family over after?

The eastern states have more detail in bmd's, vic, qsld and nsw. Tas and sa had limited info, like english bmd's. Wa started off limited but got more detailed.

If he married here, in the eastern states his marriage will record his age, birthplace and parents names.

Did he have children here? Once again in the eastern states their records will state his name, age, occupation and birthplace. Same for mother and details of when and where for their marriage.

The death cert should record place of birth and parents names, if known by the informant.

Do you have these records? If not, i advise obtaining them. I would also suggest getting all the births of the children, if you can. As the info on birthplace varies from birth to birth. Some may say "portugal" but one or more might be more specific.

If you can get a screenshot of the marriage details you can't read, post it here and see if we can help.

yes he did marry here ... and had children here ..

i do have info about his marriage date ..

and i know where he is buried .. which is another path i'm following ..

its his life in the portugal area that i have almost no info about ..

and then there is the ship he was a crew member of ..

You need to know where in portugal he came from in order to learn about his life.

Get all the australian certificates you can, as this will tell you. Then you can go about finding records in portugal.

As Kyle suggests, Australian bdm certs are generally quite informative. My grandfather (dead long before my birth) came from Ireland but married, raised children and died in Western Australia. From his marriage and death certs I found his place of birth in Ireland, his parents' names, his age, his father's occupation, trace his emigration records and his length of stay in 3 Australian States. I was then able to locate his birth in Kerry, Ireland, his siblings and eventually , some living Irish kinfolk. I was pretty thrilled by all this, as my father never spoke much of his family and I knew next to nothing about them.

You may also strike lucky by using the Trove website- https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r..._vIeZMXrk0pDcH
    Last edited by Macbev; 22-07-19 at 05:53.

he was born .. supposedly in the azores area .. and came to australia on the harriet armitage ..

as for the ship .. i only have a crew member list ..