Clear All

Joseph Silver
    abt 1838
    Wellington
    Sydney, New South Wales
    9 Dec 1864
    Spray
    Fayal

It is possible that FYAI/Fayal is Faial da Terra, Azores, Portugal.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-08-19, 13:00.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Ha! there is a tree for Joseph Silver on Ancestry: Is this yours?

Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-08-19, 13:02.
      Kat

Comment

Sorry was reposting something already here.
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-08-19, 13:26.
        Kat

Comment

Faial da Terra is a civil parish in the municipality of Povoação on the island of São Miguel
          Parish records recorded Baptisms, Marriages, and deaths. The parish for Faial da Terra is Nossa Senhora da Graca,
          Kat

Comment

Nice finds, Kat
            Wonders if poster has checked for documentation of this information?

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-08-19, 15:06.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

firsty .. there is this:

February 10.—Sylph, from Sydney. CLEARED OUT. February 7.—Harriet Armitage, Holford, for Sydney. Passengers—Mr. and Mrs. Williams and child, Mrs. Oliver, Messrs. Orr, ...

the ship name is highlighted ..

secondly i'm not registered wtih the ancestry website ..

he was naturalised on oct 11 1895 .. am after confirmation for that ..

died aug 18 1908 .. born 1841 ... according to https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/.../joseph-silver

he married Laurence and Johanna Nowland’s daughter, Catherine (born c/ 1856 @ Lochinvar NSW) @ Tulcumbah near Gunnedah NSW Aug 8 1876
              Catherine died Oct 21 1941 @ Barraba NSW.

as for the marriage cert .. i have something .. which i will submit ..

and i don't have his birth cert ..

Comment

I've had a quick look at the National Archives search page (https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...sicSearch.aspx) which is free to search,although you will have to register as a 'guest' and can find only two Joseph Silvas mentioned as naturalised, one in 1893, the other in 1897. One gave his occupation as a hairdresser, the other a miner. I didn't look for alternative spellings of the name.

Beverley

Comment

The tree mentioned in post #24 has quite a lot of detail, including documentation of naturalization in NSW. Would suggest you use your public library which will probably give you free access to Ancestry to allow you to check out the tree mentioned in that post. Looks as though the tree owner has researched fairly thoroughly. I have saved the image of the naturalization and can send it to you if you like to PM your email address to me

Beverley

Comment

Most of what you need is available on line or through Australian Archives. Unfortunately like us you have to pay most of the time in order to retrieve the information.
                    You can apply for a free trial to Ancestry.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Then come back and click on the above links. Also you would be able to send a message to the person with the tree on Ancestry linked above.
                    Kat

Comment

Natuaralisation doc. 1895 a dealer living in Upper Manilla, NSW - from Azores. Arrived 1863
                      Kat

Comment

a "dealer" ??

ha ha ha ..

surely not drugs .. a dealer of antiques or something ..

hmmm ..

the document i "thought" i had .. is actually this .. https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au...earch/result?7

i'm not registered with ancestry .. so those links are no good to me ..

a PM is coming your way macbev ..
                        Last edited by the_colour_silver_82; 14-08-19, 00:45.

Comment

well .. the marriage cert .. i don't have .. only that reference ..

and the naturalization paper .. puzzles me ..

according to this he came to aus on the ship abrolhos .. http://marinersandships.com.au/1865/05/017abr.htmv

the birth year on his grave marking .. puts him on the harriet armitage ..

two different ships .. an age gap of 6 years ..

which one is it ???????????????????????????????? ...

and i must add this .. ..
                          Last edited by the_colour_silver_82; 16-08-19, 00:55.

Comment

Hi Silver, I can't call up any information at all on either of the links you posted:(
                            Looks to me as if you have come across two interesting family history accounts, but unfortunately neither of them contains any references to back up the details in the story.
                            If it were me, I would want to start the story afresh - beginning with myself and documenting each stage of the journey with the relevant certificates/alternative paperwork to show names, dates, places and prove relationships. Yes it will cost money to get any missing evidence (we are all aware that genealogy can be expensive!!) but without it we cannot establish the links between the generations and guarantee accuracy.
                            How far back from yourself, generation wise, do you have documentary evidence to prove your descent? I would suggest that you use these proven facts as your starting point for further research. I'm sure the family history accounts above will have many leads which you can follow up. I know very little about Australian genealogy sources, so can't give advice on WHERE to look to back up the information in the two accounts - but we have several forum members who will be able to help you.

Jay
                            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-08-19, 13:39.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

that link should work .. i copied it directly from the url ..

it starts from me, my father, my pop or as follows:

joseph da silva, born c/1836; married catherine nowland, on aug 8 1876, age 40
                              they had three sons.
                              1: peter silver born 1888; died 1909, no further info - he was 21.
                              2: francis silver born 1892; married on oct 21 1915 age 23.
                              died june 20 1966, chermside hospital, buried mt gravatt brisbane (july 22 '19, from page j24 of family history book).
                              3: paul james silver born 1894; married march 4 1919 age 25.

2) francis silver had two sons:
                              1: leonard silver born 1916; married 1940 age 24
                              no sons.
                              2: lawrence silver born 1918; married 1953 age 35* (married march 8 '53).
                              6 sons:
                              names removed
                              have some info about them.

3) paul james silver had two sons:
                              1: name removed silver born 1927; married 1948 age 21.
                              5 sons.
                              2:
                              name removed
                              silver born 1930; married 1969 age 39*
                              1 son.

name removed
                              sons, are
                              names removed

name removed
                              son
                              name removed
                              , born 1971; no current record of marriage.

name removed
                              born 1949; married 1977 age 28
                              name removed
                              born 1952; married 1984 age 32
                              name removed
                              born 1956; married 1977 age 21
                              name removed
                              born 1958; married 1984 age 26
                              name removed
                              born 1965; married 1986 21

name removed
                              son is
                              name removed
                              , born 1978
                              name removed
                              son is me, born 1982.
                              name removed
                              sons are are
                              name removed
                              born 1984 and
                              name removed
                              , born 1988.
                              name removed
                              sons are
                              names removed

that info is correct up to paul james .. being my pop's father .. well, thats what i know ..

before paul james is what i know, from the family tree booklet ..
                              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 17-08-19, 06:57. Reason: names of living people removed

Comment

Were Joseph and Catherine really married for 12 years before they had their first child? How old was Catherine at marriage?

OC

Comment

If the Ancestry tree here https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...61792906/facts is correct, there were several daughters also, one of whom was b.2 Dec 1876 (Anthony is not able to see this tree as he does not have a sub)

Beverley

Comment

I can see that there is a v on the end of the url re the ship
                                    mariners, crew, passengers, stowaways, whaling, cabin, steerage, barque, steam ship, brisbane, sydney, adelaide, melbourne, hobart, tasmania, new zealand, san francisco, australian, warner, genealogy, australia, new south wales, nsw, departure, travel, arrivals, shipping, ships, vessels, captain, trimmer
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks Macbev. So the written history is selected information not a full tree.

My advice would be the same as anyone else's on here - start again from scratch and prove everything with primary documents, not hearsay evidence.

OC

Comment

Actually, the handwritten history (post #32) contains the same list of children as the tree on Ancestry. I suspect there is also room for error as there seem to be two seamen of similar age and name operating in and out of Sydney during the early 1860s. Hard to be certain who is who.

Would have to concur with the advice from others.

"My advice would be the same as anyone else's on here - start again from scratch and prove everything with primary documents, not hearsay evidence."

Beverley

Comment

As I said in post #29 you need to get the FREE trial for Ancestry through that link. Then you will be able to see what we are all seeing. The two ships show he was an AB in 1863 on the Harriett Armitage from NZ and a 2nd mate on the Abrolhos which came from Rio in 1865. So it appears he was on both - not either/or.. he could have been back and forth several times in between. He must have got to NZ by another ship pre 1863 - assuming all these records are for him - I don't think you can ever be sure. You will need to look for ships arriving NZ pre 1863 to see if you can find him. He could even have been a stowaway.
                                          However as others have said you need to follow a paper trail from yourself backwards to prove each step of the way.
                                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-08-19, 10:59.
                                          Kat

Comment

Working...
                                          X