london clandestine marriages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• london clandestine marriages

is it possible to figure out where a marriage took place in the "london clandestine marriages" collection on ancestry?

the marriage was the 7 aug 1753 of robert spurling to sarah small.

according to Ancestry and National archives may were done at Fleet prison
    "Prisons like the Fleet and the King’s Bench Prison became popular destinations for couples interested in quick, no-questions-asked nuptials because of the number of clerics imprisoned for debt who had nothing to lose and welcomed the income. Many of them lived in the “Rules” or “Liberties,” which were areas around the prison where prisoners could pay for the privilege of living outside the gates."

if you go to the first image it says of that set it says Fleet prison, I am assuming each set is a different register.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Not sure if this is any help but I have the marriage of Joseph Harrison and Rebecca Scarborough married at Fleet London.

Someone else who was related to them found it on BMDregisters.co.uk.

I have the transcriptions and the original registers. Their marriage took place in 1754.

Hope it will help you
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

do you have this

Robert
        Last name Spurling
        Name note -
        Marriage year 1753
        Marriage date 07 Aug 1753
        Marriage place Westminster
        Spouse's first name(s) Sarah
        Spouse's last name Small
        Residence Westminster, Middlesex, England
        County Middlesex
        Country England
        Record set England Marriages 1538-1973

Comment

According to the BMD registers the marriage is recorded twice:

RG7/258 Folio 117 "Marriages and Baptisms from the Fleet Registers performed according to the Rules of the Fleet, London from 1751 to 1753 by Ministers Tarrant & Symson" and again in

RG7/142 “Marriages and Baptisms from Barrett's Register of the Fleet Registers performed according to the Rules of the Fleet, London from 1734 to 1738 and for 1753, by Ministers Tarrant, Patterson, Dare, Sindrey & Deveneu”

Comment

Thank you all. I had wondered if it was fleet st. I just couldn't find the name! It's not in the index.

Comment

But fmp has them too, and their index says it's fleet st.

Comment

Wikipedia has a map https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flee...rket_Roque.jpg
                Anne

Comment

They could have lived anywhere and the prison was just like 'gretna green' - I had no idea that such things existed! Always learning.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                  X