Hull History Centre Lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library: Hull History Centre Lookup

My ancestor, Moses Wilkinson, served in the East Yorkshire Militia in 1806 when his unit was stationed at barracks in Woodbridge, Suffolk. He was again serving with the East Yorkshire Militia in 1813 when they were sent to Edinburgh during the Napoleonic Wars.

The Hull History Centre has a volume entitled, "Ledger of the East Yorkshire Local Militia, 1813-1816" (http://catalogue.hullhistorycentre.o...talogue/U-DP17). I am hoping to find additional information regarding Moses Wilkinson, especially an approximate year of birth. In the baptism of his son, Aaron Wilkinson, dated 1810 from Sunderland, Durham, Moses states he was born in Sowerby, West Yorkshire. However, there are several Moses Wilkinson's born between 1750 and 1795 in Sowerby and I am unable to pin down the names of his parents.

Our family only has an oral tradition of Moses Wilkinson serving in the British Army. However, I recently obtained a copy of the baptism of his daughter, Sarah, at Woodbridge, Suffolk, from the year 1806. It has his occupation listed as, "East Yorkshire Militia". In the 1810 baptism of his son, Aaron, his child is listed as his 5th son. His occupation is listed as "weaver".

My 2nd great-grandfather, Charles William Wilkinson (c. 1813-1880), according to family tradition and verified by UK censuses, was born in Edinburgh while his father was serving again in the army/militia. I would be grateful to anyone who can visit the Centre and see if this volume has any particulars concerning Moses. Thank you!

Request has been completed through Hull History Centre. The Ledger of East Yorkshire Militia, 1813-1816, does not contain his name. The ledger was apparently indexed and his name not found.

Comment

There is a Moses Wilkinson baptised to an Aaron Wilkinson in 1787 at Sowerby.

Perhaps Moses's son was named after his grandfather?
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
        There is a Moses Wilkinson baptised to an Aaron Wilkinson in 1787 at Sowerby.

Perhaps Moses's son was named after his grandfather?
        Yes, this is certainly a possibility. I've only just learned today of the first child of Moses and Ann (Bailey) Wilkinson born at Brabourne Lees Barracks in November, 1805. Moses was listed as a member of Capt. Courteney's Company, East Yorkshire Militia and his home parish as Sowerby, Halifax Parish.

I had previously found a Sarah Wilkinson baptized at Woodbridge, Suffolk in December 1806. That record was the first I'd found that confirmed Moses was a member of the East Yorkshire Militia.

A year or more past, I found the baptism of a William Wilkinson at Peterborough, St. John Church, on 28 February 1808 to Moses and Ann Wilkinson. No occupations were listed. Someone with access to British newspapers found that the East Yorkshire Militia marched from Woodbridge Barracks to Norman Cross Barracks in the summer of 1807.

So in a relatively short time, we have found three children born to Moses and Ann (Bailey) Wilkinson whom we never knew existed. Now that I have the name of the company that Moses was a member, I will;D amend my Beverley, East Yorkshire Record Office lookup with more specific information. Perhaps I'll know his correct age soon! Thank you for searching but there are about 5 possible baptisms of a Moses Wilkinson in Sowerby and until we can establish an approximate age, we're all just guessing.

Comment

For information on your family in Sowerby you could contact the Calderdale Family History Society:

CFHS - Calderdale Family History Society - for people researching their family history, ancestry and genealogy in and around Halifax.

They have been very helpful to me in the past.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

This will probably eliminate one Moses:

Moses aged 18 weaver of Sowerby Yorks enlisted at Halifax 2nd Sept 1808 ----84th Foot 1St Battallion, Discharged 26 Sep 1816
            Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900

Moses baptism:
            23 Aug 1789 Sowerby son of Moses Wilkinson, weaver.

Father Moses Wilkinson also from Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900 - Transcribed as just Wilkinson but Moses on image.

Both his age and place during "your" Moses's movements eliminates him.

I agree with Elizabeth that Moses Wilkinson baptised to an Aaron Wilkinson in 1787 at Sowerby looks to be a better fit especially his age. There is an Aaron baptised at Sowerby 21 Aug 1785 to Aaron Wilkinson so just before Moses.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-06-19, 10:42.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

It's interesting that you should mention the Ancestry database, "Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900". I've made a thorough review of all the Moses Wilkinsons who appear in this database and discovered that these lists apply to many British Army regiments that never were deployed to Canada. On has only to look up the given regiment (and battalion, if applicable) on Wikipedia and you will discover deployments throughout the British Empire. I've written Ancestry about this and nothing has been done to correct it.

These "British Regimental Registers of Service" should be under England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. If anyone doubts my word, all they need do is go to the Kew Military Archives website and look up the regiment and battalion.

Comment

Having never had reason to use that database before I was unaware of that. Just shows how on the ball you need to be with regard to sources
                You only need to google to see where the regiment went. ......not Canada!!
                However it doesn't detract from the fact that this eliminates this particular Moses son of Moses from the search.
                There are a lot of trees on Ancestry for Moses and son Charles that are really good works of fiction. For example that Moses married 1808 and again in 1814, that he died 1839 but was naturalised in Utah 1866. Most have Ancestry Trees as sources.

I see the bap of Aaron 1810 has mmn as Bailey.
                Do you have a marriage for Moses to Ann Bailey?
                I wonder if any children born between Sarah and Aaron were born abroad - unusual to have this gap unless she didn't follow him abroad?

Mary 1805 Smeeth, Kent
                Sarah 1806 Woodbridge
                Aaron 23 Sep 1810 Sunderland
                Sally 26 Feb 1815 Sowerby - father weaver
                Betty 03 Nov 1816 Sowerby – ditto
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-07-19, 11:08.
                Kat

Comment

I believe I have found the marriage of Moses Wilkinson to Ann Bailey. It is dated 11 March 1805 and took place at Wye, Kent. The names were transcribed as Moses Willson and Ann Bayley but it appears too much a coincidence that their first child would be born at Brabourne Lees Barracks and baptized at Smeeth, Kent. The parish of Wye is on familysearch.org under, "England, Kent, Cambridge Parish Registers, 1538-1986". Unfortunately, I am unable to access this record at home and the local LDS Family History Center is on the opposite side of town more than 30 minutes away. Neither my wife or I drive any longer (she due to neuropathy related to her diabetes and I due to the strong meds I take) and a Lyft or Uber ride to and from is out of the question.

For whatever reason, I am not yet enabled to view attachments (much less download them) and I would love to see & download Mary's baptism. I will write the webmaster directly and request permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Caryndanielle View Post
                    I believe I have found the marriage of Moses Wilkinson to Ann Bailey. It is dated 11 March 1805 and took place at Wye, Kent. The names were transcribed as Moses Willson and Ann Bayley but it appears too much a coincidence that their first child would be born at Brabourne Lees Barracks and baptized at Smeeth, Kent. The parish of Wye is on familysearch.org under, "England, Kent, Cambridge Parish Registers, 1538-1986". Unfortunately, I am unable to access this record at home and the local LDS Family History Center is on the opposite side of town more than 30 minutes away. Neither my wife or I drive any longer (she due to neuropathy related to her diabetes and I due to the strong meds I take) and a Lyft or Uber ride to and from is out of the question.

For whatever reason, I am not yet enabled to view attachments (much less download them) and I would love to see & download Mary's baptism. I will write the webmaster directly and request permission.
                    I am afraid that this because you are a very new member. New members can't download attachments which have been uploaded to the site. Once you have been with us for a few days then this is possible. In the meantime, it should possible to view them if they are linked from an external site or for it be sent another way.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

It appears that we will have to wait a few days before I will be allowed to view the attachment. ;D

Comment

It appears that we will have to wait a few days before I will be allowed to view the attachment. ;D
                        I have just been double checking the settings and if you make one more post - like replying to this one, you should be be fine!
                        Caroline
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

1754-1805
                          Archive Canterbury Cathedral Archives
                          Archive reference U3/174/1/D1
                          Record set Kent Marriages And Banns
                          Wye, Saints Gregory & Martin
                          Moses Wilson to Ann Bayley
                          1805 Moses Wilson amd Ann Bayley.jpg

William Wilkinson
                          Event Type: Baptism
                          Baptism Date: 28 Feb 1808
                          Baptism Place: Peterborough, St John, Northamptonshire, England
                          Ancestry.com. Northamptonshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1532-1812

1808 Baptism William Wilkinson.jpg

Baptism
                          Name:Sarah Wilkerson
                          Moses Wilkerson
                          Anne Nee Bailey Wilkerson
                          Woodbridge, Suffolk
                          Ancestry.com. England, Pallot's Baptism Index, 1780-1837

1806 Sarah Wilkerson.jpg

Date of Baptism - 18 Dec 1806
                          From transcription: Ancestry.com. England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

If you click on my name in the box next to my post you can send me a private message (pm) . If you include an email address I can send you the attachments.
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-07-19, 07:49.
                          Kat

Comment

you may have to wait until you have been a member for 10 days, and then you have all the features, I had same problem
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              you may have to wait until you have been a member for 10 days, and then you have all the features, I had same problem
                              https://www.familytreeforum.com/show.../120389-Images
                              What can't be seen on this shared thread is the series of posts made by me when sorting out the settings for you. A 10th post will fix the issue and Caryndanielle was notified by email as well as on here further up the thread, but since she had logged off and she is in Arizona she unfortunately may not see any of the solutions or my email until later on.
                              Caroline

Comment

I will try again later on to view the attachment. I do appreciate your concerns about how an unknown person might muck up a forum with solicitations and such.

Although I couldn't access the marriage dated 11 March 1805, one of my cousins contacted one of her LDS cousins and forwarded me a copy from the Wye, Kent parish register. Unfortunately, it does say Moses Wilson and not Wilkerson. And the register states that both Moses and Ann were "of this parish". What I will do is search for other Wilsons and Baileys/Bayleys in the parish and surrounding parishes. I won't be surprised if I can't find any because the 1806 baptism of their daughter, Sarah, at Woodbridge, Suffolk, has Moses' name as WILKERSON. I'm guessing he either had a strong accent or was soft-spoken and this led to some confusion outside of Yorkshire. Just a guess but let's see if it I'm correct about a dearth of Wilsons & Baileys in the vicinity of Wye, Kent.

Comment

Under the category of "For what it's worth" Department, I joined the forum and posted this thread on 19 June. Today is 2 July and I have exceeded 10 days in forum.

Comment

Under the category of "For what it's worth" Department, I joined the forum and posted this thread on 19 June. Today is 2 July and I have exceeded 10 days in forum.
                                    Your registration was the 24th June 2019.

You email wondering why you could not post an the forum was the 25th. - time difference meant that I am afraid I was asleep and had been unable to process your membership instantly.

This thread is dated 25th June.

According to the settings available to me you should be able to post having now made 10 posts. There must be something hiding in the software which will need changing.
                                    Caroline

Comment

I have manually changed your user group as you have reached 10 posts. Hopefully you can now see the images.
                                      Caroline

Comment

I am sure that everyone will be pleased to know that the attachments were visible once she had logged in, which also mean that she could access her PMs and carydanielle now has all she needs.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X