1939 census - woldhams family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    In an effort to find your Lily in 1939, I took a look at who she may be. Doesnt help so far with the 1939 but there is a Lily b March quarter 1906 Runcorn, Cheshire. Mmn Dutton. She can be seen in the 1911 census with father John, mother Selina at Gt Budworth. A baptism record gives dob 01/02/1906 Gt Budworth. Mother Selina dies 1914. Couple had 12 children by 1911.

Vera

Thank you for looking!

They had 12 children and all had survived by 1911!

I wonder if Lily and John are using middle names?

I wonder If Lily was abandoned, orphaned, in workhouse and didn't know her name or her parents names, or chose a new name to forget - my great-grandmother gave herself completely different first names and last name in those circumstances, seeing nine out of eleven siblings dying before going to the workhouse, when her first husband came home from WWI and she witnessed his agonising death of lungs rotting away from the use of mustard gas, she changed her names again.

Unless you knew the story, you would never be able to find her in the records

Other relatives that have changed their names have by historical luck left behind addresses to cross-references on various documents

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineK View Post
      Unfortunately, the family didn't pass much knowledge down, so don't know I'm afraid

Lily is an enigma, can't find Lily's birth, baptism or 1911 census

On the 1932 marriage image for Lily Scott and Horace Wodhams:
      Father John Scott is RETIRED! Doesn't even say from what occupation so could cross-reference the 1911 censuses!
      Lily and Horace are both living at 4 Wigram Square, Walthamstow
      Wedding witnesses are: Walter Moss and Horace Wodhams, so no other Scott relative to try and trace with father John and daughter Lily in the 1911 census
      Frances E Wodhams is living at 4 Wigram Square in 1965

Have found several Lily Scotts living with a father John in the 1911 census - the only sensible one living in London is still single at home with her father John and mother Catherine in 1939, so the only Lilys with father John left are found around the country, also tried Lilian.

The Wodhams family lived in London, moved from Norfolk to London but had moved from Scotland to Norfolk - the father was a Scottish drover and the drovers would bring their prized cattle to Norfolk and settle there, the Norfolk cattle breeds not of such good quality in 1841/1851

Amazing what you can find out!

But then there are some ancestors that are completely elusive!

Maybe Lily is not her first name, maybe John is not her father's name, giving out false information, orphan, came from workhouse, abandoned, don't know?

Do know that Horace and Lily were completely devoted to one another, Horace a great cook kept Lily at home until her death.

Have found a possible record link to marriage witness Walter Moss and Lily Scott.

The Lily Scott b Gt Budworth 1/2/1906 had a sister Esther D b 1894 who married in 1920 Macclesfield to Walter Moss. Esther Dutton Scott Moss died in 1931 Bucklow aged 37.

Walter Moss remarried 1937.

Vera

Comment

Thank you very much Vera - I think you've cracked it!

Comment

Would be great if you could find out what she was up to Shame that there is no one around to tell you.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Yes people travelled around the country (and abroad) far more than we realise, train network, coach network, passenger ships.

Comment

Working...
            X