Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Pashbee Nicholls

James Pashbee Nicholls

According to the Cornwall OPC site, JBH was baptised on 26 Sept 1847 at Manaccan, the son of John and Mary Anne. His parents, John Nichols and Mary Anne Nicholls were married at Mylor on 26 Oct 1840. When JBH enlisted in the Royal Navy he gave his date of birth as 20 Sept 1848.

I have been unable to find an entry on either Free BMD or GRO Index that appears to be the registration of his birth. (His mother was not previously married, so no problems with mmn). Can anyone see some thing I have missed?

Perhaps his birth wasn't registered. There was no penalty before 1874. Were his siblings registered?

OC

Does he give Manaccan as his place of birth in census? If not, which place is given? ? Were siblings baptised at Manaccan? What was mother's maiden name?
    (Have to go out now, but will try to look in again this evening.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

My grandfather gave his birth date as December 25 for as long as I knew him. The year varied from 1884 to 1886 depending on what he thought. His WW1 conscription form gives an age that indicate a birth date of December 25 1884.

Nope ...... he was born January 9 1885. I have found a Private Baptism record for what might be him for January 25 1885.

Not only that, he lied about his age on his marriage .......... the certificate says he was 19 when he was only 17. His wife said she was 20 when she was 19.

Moral ............. people were not as concerned about birth dates as we now are. I believe than my gt grandparents told grandfather that his birthday was December 25 because it saved buying presents.

In your case, it could well be an honest mistake in the year.

If he was baptised on September 26, then he could well have been born on September 20.
    My parents at my brother's wedding, March 1952

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

FreeReg actually gives his baptism as 20 September 1847

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_re...9-20?locale=en

I wonder if that is a mistake by the transcriber??

However England Births and Baptisms 1538-1975 on FindMyPast also gives 20 September as the Baptism date

https://www.findmypast.com.au/transcript?id=R_955434555

In fact, Cornwall Baptisms on FMP gives the same 20 September.

It is just a niggle about the day.
    My parents at my brother's wedding, March 1952

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

It's a long shot I know but possibly worth checking for misspelling of names? Helston covers Manaccan too.
    NICHOLAS, - MALE - MMN NICHOLAS
    GRO Reference: 1847 J Quarter in HELSTON Volume 09 Page 133
    Chrissie

Here is the baptism on Family Search:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...9414&cat=44009

If you don't have one already, you need to create an account (free) and password.

I think his baptismal date is the 20th because if you go back a page the previous baptism was on the 19th.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

The only thing I would say is that the Pashbee part isn't very clear and could be spelled differently.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

His mother's sister married a James Pashbee, so that is probably where the name came from. But Pashbee is a very rare name, so it was probably something else originally - Ashbee, perhaps.

OC

Thank you, all who have contributed.

I was hoping that a birth certificate might include some little additional information that could provide a clue as to why the child was named James Pashbee. The "original" James Pashbee married Elizabeth Nicholls, sister of Mary Ann, in 1843. It seems unusual to name a child after a brother-in-law - unless he was more than a brother-inlaw!

In 1851 James "Poshbee" (Nicholls), aged three was in the household of his aunt, Elizabeth "Poshbee" as a visitor, living in Portsea.

Interestingly the name was passed down a generation. Philliphia E Nicholls, b c 1849/50, Mayo, daughter of John and Mary Ann Nicholls, married James Lyden in Killala, Mayo in 1868. Their son, James Pasbee Lyden was baptised in Reculver, Kent, in 1874.

All very strange.