No announcement yet.

My Park Family - A dead end so soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay so it seems that John may of moved back to Scotland at some point before marrying Williamina. I can't find a birth cert for John, however, it seems from the above census that he must of been born in England along with his brothers.

Thanks Sylvia, you are a gem.

Glenys

Comment

Which census did you find him on born in Scotland, living in England and a coachman?

I don't have Ancestry.com.au, just .co.uk, and I can't find it
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi Sylvia,

I have the census in England which places John in England living with Robert and Annie

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

also his marriage certificate to Williamina Christie in Aberdeen Scotland

Oh sorry, this is from Ancestry.com.au. I don't know how to get this to you any other way. (Not great on computer)

Glenys Ill try and download onto computer and send it.

Glenys

Comment

Well, I've found John Park with father Robert a coachman and mother Annie on the 1891 Census. It says John was born in Scotland, but they're living at Levens, near Kendal in Westmorland

1891 Census
          Robert Park 55
          Annie Park 51 b.ca 1840, Worcestershire
          Robert H Park 24 b.ca 1867, Scotland
          John Park 12 b.ca 1879, Scotland
          James Park 10 b.ca 1881, Scotland

I do wish we could find John's birth certificate to find out if this is the correct one.

It's right in the centre of where OH's Parks lived!!

But it looks as though Robert moved back and forth as he found places to work!
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Glenys .........

it's OK, I've managed to find the census. Thank you.

Comment

Oh fantastic!!

So the "Park" side seems to be Scottish but the Honiblow is English. That is a great breakthrough.

Sorry but what are you referring to when you say OH Park. Who is that?

I also presumed Robert might be a bit of a traveller too.

This is so great Sylvia.

I can tell my Dad a lot of information today, as when I asked him, he said it was a mystery in the family and that he knew nothing beyond his own dad who died at the age of approximately 42 years old.

Also, moving countries, disconnects the family too, to a lot of information.

Cheers
              Glenys

Comment

I've managed to find some baptisms on FindMyPast

Robert Horniblow Park, born 1866, Lanark, Lanarkshire in 1866. Parents Robert Park and Ann Horniblow

George Alexander Park born 1867, baptised Lanark. Parents Robert Park and Annie Horniblow

Henry Rawlinson Park, born 1869, baptised Lanark. Parents Robert Park and Ann

Frederick William Park was born 1873, baptised Lanark. Parents Robert Park and Ann Horniblow

Those are the only 3 showing up with Horniblow

Comment

Glenys ............

OH means Other Half ............. so my husband has Parks in his ancestry!

Comment

Oh your other half has Park's! What a coincidence is that!!

I am surprised by those baptisms as other than Robert H Park the other names do not appear in that 1891 census at all, and also John and James are missing? The plot thickens.

Thanks Sylvia

Comment

Bit of a break through!!

from ancestry

1871 Scottish Census

Name Age
                      Robert Park 34 b.ca 1837, New Deer, Aberdeen, Coachman
                      Ann Park 31 b.ca 1849, England
                      Robert Park 4 b.ca 1867, Lanark
                      George A Park 3 b.ca 1868, Lanark
                      Henry B W Park 1 b.ca 1870, Lanark

Address:- Brafield Coachman (Gourg???)

The full transcript (but not the image) can be seen on FindMyPast, and it looks as if Robert is Coachman for Thomas Dobie, Farmer of 7 acres, although I'm guessing here, as the Dobies address is Whitehill, It would help to be able to see the image!!

and they live in the Braefield Coachman House (!!!)

Then there is a wonderful mistranscription of Horniblow in Robert Jrs. name

1881 Scotland Census

Name Age
                      Robert Park 45 b.ca 1836, New Deer, Aberdeenshire, Coachman Domestic
                      Annie Park 41 b.ca 1840, England
                      Robert Hornibbon Park 14
                      H R W Park 11
                      Frederic W Park 9 b.ca 1872, Lanark
                      Charels W Park 6 b.ca 1875, Lanark
                      John Park 2 b.ca 1879, Lanark
                      James Park 4 Months b.ca 1881, Lanark

Address:- Braxfeild (that's what it says)

Note that Robert is now older than Ann, although he was younger on the marriage.

I think George might have died

Comment

Oh wow! I cannot thank you enough Sylvia.

That is amazing and I will now get to work putting the rest of the bits and pieces together.

Soooo am I your other halfs relative????

Kind regards
                        Glenys

Comment

In 1901, Robert Park, Coachman Domestic, is a visitor with George Fowlie and family in New Deer.

It's possible that Ann Park died in 1896, registered in Kendal

According to a tree on Ancestry, George Alexander Park was killed in action in 1918 .... that should be easy to trace

Robert Horniblow Park also became a Domestic Coachman, and seems to have stayed in the Levens/Kendal area.

That's me done!!! It's bedtime here :D

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenysFlegg View Post
                            Oh wow! I cannot thank you enough Sylvia.

That is amazing and I will now get to work putting the rest of the bits and pieces together.

Soooo am I your other halfs relative????

Kind regards
                            Glenys

Glenys .......... I enjoyed doing it.

I don't think there is a connection , just coincidence.

Though it might be interesting to get far enough back to find out when a Park went to Scotland, and where from in England.

Comment

Thank you and big thank you Sylvia.

I did wonder if you ever went to sleep

That is amazing and I do have a lot to tell my family.

I am so happy now!

Goodnight!

Glenys

Comment

Glenys ..........

I'm on the west coast of Canada, so it is "only" 10:30 pm here :D

You're very welcome, I'm glad I could help
                                Last edited by Sylvia C; 21-06-19, 05:38.

Comment

Here is the probate reference for Robert Horniblow Park died Lancashire 1955

(It came up as an Ancestry hit when I clicked on Sylvia's link to the 1871(?) census - also a reference to his marriage and other bits)

Jay
                                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-06-19, 06:59.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay,

Thats him!

I appreciate you sending that through

Kind regards
                                    Glenys

Comment

Coming to this a bit late as have been busy this morning. Taking up from the birth in New Deer on the 1881 census and the fact that Robert appears to have altered his age a bit, I checked on ScotlandsPeople for a baptism of PARK, Robert in Aberdeenshire, New Deer 1830 - 1840 and found only one match. If you register with SP and purchase some credits (if you haven't already), you will get the original parish register image which you can download to keep.

PARK, Robert.JPG

Comment

Other baptisms to the same couple

PARK baptisms.jpg

Comment

I have checked familysearch.org main records and the IGI and also ScotlandsPeople and can't find a marriage for Robert PARK to Agnes FORMAN. I tried with her surname (and variants) and also her forename as separate searches but didn't find anything.

Comment

Working...
                                          X