Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for George Tibbs and family

Hi all

Having no luck at the moment locating George Tibbs and his elusive offspring.

Cannot find a birth date or baptismal record for George that seems to fit.

In 1827, he married Elizabeth Dudman/Dobbin who was born in Wiltshire in 1790.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

They had 3 or 4 children:

Mary Ann in 1828: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...&rhSource=2162

Thomas Samuel in 1831: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...&rhSource=2241

and either a William in 1834: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource
    or then died and a second William was baptised in 1837: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource
    or the same child who for some reason was baptised twice

The trouble is that I cannot find any evidence of George and the children practically after their births. In the 1841 census Elizabeth Tibbs is in Dorset, with Betty Hamilton who also started her life as an Elizabeth Tibbs before she married Robert Hamilton and had a son Andrew who by 1841 was in America. George Tibbs must be related to Betty somehow, but despite trying to establish the connection, have had no luck thus far. Also with them are Isaac, Emily and George Townsend who were Elizabeth's nephews and niece. https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource

Elizabeth in 1851 is with another niece, Diana, who married George Gartrell: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource

And in 1861 is visiting: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource

She died in 1869: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...&rhSource=8767

I think this could be daughter Mary Ann Tibbs in 1841: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource

But apart from that, I cannot find any trace of George and the children or work out where George was originally from - I suspect Dorset, but could be way off track. And no luck thus far finding them emigrating anywhere.

All and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Just has a quick look bur unfortunately I can't view any of the ancestry sources you have put on as don't have Australian Ancestry,

Have managed to find a will for Elizabeth, the index is on ancestry but the executor is a banker.

Also the banns and marriage are there and both are of the county and with parental permission.

Looked for a birth for George and death but nothing jumping out at me,

Will have another look later though
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks so much for looking and sorry that the links don't work - technology is not my greatest talent

Comment

It's not your fault the links don't work. I only have ancestry.co.uk.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

thanks

I've really hit a brick wall with George Tibbs and family - must not be seeing the forest for the trees as they say

Comment

The links do work if you have Ancestry World.
            I have searched FMP as well and cannot find anything extra to what you have.
            Dorset OPC site is not showing much up either. https://www.opcdorset.org/index.htm although this could be useful for you for other searches if you haven't already used it.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The marriage is also on FreeReg, and can be accessed on ancestry.co.uk ............

records on ancestry do NOT change much whether you join .co.uk, .com. .aus, etc

What does it say on the censuses fro Elizabeth's status?? Married, Widow or Single
              Last edited by Sylvia C; 17-06-19, 17:23.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I've been checking Elizabeth .........

in 1851, she is shown as born ca 1785, Widow, HEAD, and Farmer of 60 acres. I can't make out the name of the farm). George Gartrell is Manager of the Farm.

It took ages, but I finally found her in the 1841, as Farmer. Betty Hamilton and the others are shown as living independently but in the same residence as Elizabeth, with Betty shown of Independent Means

I find this interesting as George Tibbs seems to have been a labourer according to one birth certificate ............ but the indication is that Elizabeth is a) a widow, and b) has received money from somewhere

I also noticed that Betty Hamilton was shown as born in county, ie in Dorset.

If she was indeed related to George Tibbs, then it is possible (or at least a hint) that George might also have been in Dorset.

I'm wondering whether the marriage between George and Elizabeth broke down, or if there was some accident resulted in the loss of George and the children, and this is how Elizabeth got the money to become a Farmer, whether that was a tenant or owning the land.
                Last edited by Sylvia C; 17-06-19, 21:05.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

She is a widow on the 1841 census too.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I looked at same as Sylvia, and can't work out how George was a labourer on baptism records, yet Elizabeth is a farmer once widowed. The fact that she has family with her - made me wonder if she had been in a family with a farm.

She is the head in 1841 as well, farm not named in that one, but is in 1851.

I only have .co.uk Ancestry as well - so links don't work for me, have found the same records now.

Was the Mary Ann link at Cerna Abbas?
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 17-06-19, 23:44.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Carolyn ....... that was the only Mary Ann that I found, but it seemed inconclusive. She was living in a separate part of the house, with no occupation shown for her so hard to tell what relationship she had with the others.

I've tried searching for Tibbs, T*bb*, and *ibbs, as I noticed one correction for another Tibbs from the transcript's Jibbs/Fibbs.

Nothing seems to come up for George or the children.

Emigration or death???? Or change of surname???

Comment

Originally posted by thomasalbertedward View Post
                        Hi all

Also with them are Isaac, Emily and George Townsend who were Elizabeth's nephews and niece. https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource

Elizabeth in 1851 is with another niece, Diana, who married George Gartrell: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource

Diana (I think) is also a Townsend, and has many children a few with Tibbs in the name. So am think her mother must be Georges sister, but am now getting confused on her birthplace, seems to be wilts or berks, clearly something getting lost on census.

liscombe. berks or titcombe, wilts. So maybe George birthplace also.

Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                          Carolyn ....... that was the only Mary Ann that I found, but it seemed inconclusive. She was living in a separate part of the house, with no occupation shown for her so hard to tell what relationship she had with the others.

I've tried searching for Tibbs, T*bb*, and *ibbs, as I noticed one correction for another Tibbs from the transcript's Jibbs/Fibbs.

yes me too, wonder why we can't find a death for George, parish records maybe patchy.

and odd no trace of any of the children again. I feel emigration!
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                              The links do work if you have Ancestry World.
                              I have searched FMP as well and cannot find anything extra to what you have.
                              Dorset OPC site is not showing much up either. https://www.opcdorset.org/index.htm although this could be useful for you for other searches if you haven't already used it.
                              Thank you

Comment

in 1851, she is shown as born ca 1785, Widow, HEAD, and Farmer of 60 acres. I can't make out the name of the farm). George Gartrell is Manager of the Farm.

It took ages, but I finally found her in the 1841, as Farmer. Betty Hamilton and the others are shown as living independently but in the same residence as Elizabeth, with Betty shown of Independent Means

I find this interesting as George Tibbs seems to have been a labourer according to one birth certificate ............ but the indication is that Elizabeth is a) a widow, and b) has received money from somewhere

If she was indeed related to George Tibbs, then it is possible (or at least a hint) that George might also have been in Dorset.

I'm wondering whether the marriage between George and Elizabeth broke down, or if there was some accident resulted in the loss of George and the children, and this is how Elizabeth got the money to become a Farmer, whether that was a tenant or owning the land.
                                Thanks so much for looking.

We presume that the money/land that Elizabeth eventually came into was from Betty Hamilton since the Dudman family that Elizabeth came from were all pretty poor farm labourers from Wiltshire/Berkshire.

Betty Hamilton was born Elizabeth Tibbs in 1767 to Ann Tibbs and Henry Notley, who weren't married at the time. Henry Notley had an ale house and some land in Longburton, Dorest. They also had twins, James and William Tibbs in 1762. William died as a baby. Ann Tibbs married Henry Notley in 1785. James married Mary Notley, a cousin, in 1793 and had a son Thomas in 1795. Betty Tibbs married Robert Hamilton in 1791 and had a son Andrew in 1804. Thomas Tibbs died in 1819, aged 24. Andrew Hamilton went to America in 1827, aged 23 - and was still there in 1840 when James Tibbs died, as mentioned in James Tibbs' will. - https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource. His goods and chattels seem to have been inherited by Betty.

Robert Hamilton had died in 1832. Betty Hamilton died in 1842 and I think that was when Elizabeth Tibbs acquired land etc.

But how that all ties into George Tibbs and where he went with the children I don't know.

There were other Tibbs cousins through the brothers of Betty's mother Ann and none of them are with Betty Hamilton, so you might assume George was also related somehow and working as a labourer on Betty's farm when his children were born.

Comment

Betty Hamilton was born Elizabeth Tibbs on 8 June 1767 in Longburton Dorset.

Would there be some mention of the deaths of George and the children in the newspapers at the time, if that's what happened?

Comment

Thanks for the ideas

I've looked for emigration records - no luck thus far.

A change of name is an interesting idea.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      Diana (I think) is also a Townsend, and has many children a few with Tibbs in the name. So am think her mother must be Georges sister, but am now getting confused on her birthplace, seems to be wilts or berks, clearly something getting lost on census.

liscombe. berks or titcombe, wilts. So maybe George birthplace also.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...YaAvSSEALw_wcB
                                      Diana was the daughter of Elizabeth Tibbs' sister Hannah. She was born in Tidcombe Wiltshire in 1821.

Comment

Dunman/Tibbs/Notley

There was intermarriage between the Notleys and the Dunmans and the Tibbs families in both Berkshire/Wiltshire and Dorset.

Is it possible that George wasn't originally from Dorset?

Comment

Working...
                                        X