No announcement yet.

Looking for George Tibbs and family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that George married Elizabeth Dubbins in 1827. James married Elizabeth Dedman (Dudman) in 1824. They must be 2 different Elizabeth's.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by thomasalbertedward View Post
      Sorry, I should have been more specific - if George Tibbs who married Elizabeth Dudman in 1827, was an illegitimate child of Betty Tibbs, born before she married Robert Hamilton, it would make sense because then Elizabeth Tibbs and Betty Hamilton would be daughter- and mother-in-law - but I don't think that's the case.

Dinah is the daughter of James Townsend and Hannah Dudman, Elizabeth Dudman's sister and her parents were William and Elizabeth Dudman - this is her baptism https://www.ancestry.com.au/interact...SAAEgKIT_D_BwE
      I had assumed Dinah/Diana was a Tibbs as she has Tibbs in her childrens names, so am now confused.

I hadn't looked at any of her records.
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-06-19, 20:20.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        I had assumed Dinah/Diana was a Tibbs as she has Tibbs in her childrens names, so am now confused.

I hadn't looked at any of her records.
        I don't blame you for being confused - they are an utterly baffling mob and very difficult to sort out. Your help has been really great, so thank you again

Dinah/Diana was born Diana Townsend in Tidcombe Wiltshire in 1821. Her parents were James Townsend and Hannah Dudman and Hannah was the younger sister of Elizabeth Dudman who became Elizabeth Tibbs when she married George Tibbs in 1827. Diana married George Gartrell in Sherborne Dorset in 1842: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource. They had at least 12 children and called 2 of them Joseph Tibbs Gartrell and Elizabeth Tibbs Gartrell.

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          I thought that George married Elizabeth Dubbins in 1827. James married Elizabeth Dedman (Dudman) in 1824. They must be 2 different Elizabeth's.
          Thank you for looking

Yes, 2 different Elizabeths. James Tibbs - who was the brother of Betty Tibbs who married Robert Hamilton - marred Elizabeth Dudman as his second wife in Somerset in 1824. They were still married when he died in Dorset in 1840 aged 77 and she is mentioned in his will.

The second Elizabeth Dudman married George Tibbs in Dorset in 1827 and she is the one living with Betty Hamilton in Sherborne Dorset in 1841 - when George and the children have mysteriously vanished

However the 2 Elizabeth Dudmans must be related - their names variously appear as Dedman, Dudman and Dobbins, but they are all the one family - and the marriage of James Tibbs and the first Elizabeth Dudman must have been how the second Elizabeth Dudman met George.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

MYSTERY SOLVED and I have been so dense!

Thank you and huge applause to everyone who has helped me with the Tibbs family - without your help I wouldn't have seen it from a different perspective.

Elizabeth Tibbs - a widow in 1841, living with Betty Hamilton in Dorset, born in Great Bedwyn Wiltshire in 1790, sister of Hannah Dudman and aunt of all the Townsends - DIDN'T marry George Tibbs. She married James Tibbs, the brother of Betty Hamilton, as his second wife in 1824. When they got married, she for some reason was living in Somerset and she is the wife Elizabeth named in his will - and of course, the land went to her after Betty Hamilton died in 1842, because she was the widow of her brother. Elizabeth and James Tibbs had no children and his only son Thomas - from his first marriage to Mary Notley - had died unmarried aged 24 in 1819.

The marriage of George Tibbs and the other Elizabeth Dudman in 1827 - I think she is the Elizabeth Tibbs who dies aged 40 in 1837 in Bishops Caundle. She was born in 1797 and is a niece of the first Elizabeth - she was probably visiting her aunt Elizabeth and met George Tibbs - that all makes sense now.

Also gives me some ideas of extended family and where to look for the children of the marriage after 1840.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

Comment

That makes sense, the Dudman family looks rather huge, I started looking yesterday before bed, maybe they are hiding with them!

so this should now read when she married James? and the Tibbs was a nod to the family as they had no living children with the name maybe?

Dinah/Diana was born Diana Townsend in Tidcombe Wiltshire in 1821. Her parents were James Townsend and Hannah Dudman and Hannah was the younger sister of Elizabeth Dudman who became Elizabeth Tibbs when she married George Tibbs in 1827. Diana married George Gartrell in Sherborne Dorset in 1842: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource. They had at least 12 children and called 2 of them Joseph Tibbs Gartrell and Elizabeth Tibbs Gartrell.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                That makes sense, the Dudman family looks rather huge, I started looking yesterday before bed, maybe they are hiding with them!

so this should now read when she married James? and the Tibbs was a nod to the family as they had no living children with the name maybe?
                Yes, definitely when she married James - thank you And the Tibbs would certainly have been a nod to the name being passed on

The Dudman family is huge - and somehow related to the Dobbins/Dubbens who lived in Dorset - so it's a big clan to look through
                Last edited by thomasalbertedward; 23-06-19, 10:25.

Comment

Hi all, I’ve been looking into my Great great grandfather William Joseph S Tibbs (1837 -1910) and I came across this thread. I wonder if he could be the William Tibbs mentioned in the original post?

Comment

hi TheyCallMeMrTibbs welcome to the forum. The original poster doesn't seem to have visited for a couple of years, they may have subscribed to the thread and get a notification.

Did you see any connection to your man from the posts made?

Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                    X