Strange Land/Deed Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Land/Deed Issue

I have an interesting conundrum I'm hoping someone may have seen or has an idea. I have an ancestor who left Hector, NY in May 1836 and sold his land, brought his family and bought land (80 acres) a month later in St. Joseph County, MI. I have the deeds from the sale in NY and for the purchase in Michigan.
    I had some assistance from an angel on another group who went to the county courthouse and looked for other deeds, as well as a probate record for this ancestor as it appears he died 4 years later (his wife was listed as head of household on 1840 census). She was unable to find a will for him at the courthouse, yet somehow we have found over a period of 9 years (1841-1850) 3 of this ancestor's sons and 2 son in laws conveyed the exact same property (in its entirety, not a portion each) to the youngest son, their brother. The weird part is no will to show inheritance, there is no deed transferring the property to my ancestors children, and they didn't convey the land at the same time, each issued a deed for the exact same property (and size) a year or two apart from the other over 9 years, until the youngest son who they all conveyed it to, sold it to someone before left moved out of state himself.
    Has anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions?

Originally posted by MFletcherGA24 View Post
    I have an interesting conundrum I'm hoping someone may have seen or has an idea. I have an ancestor who left Hector, NY in May 1836 and sold his land, brought his family and bought land (80 acres) a month later in St. Joseph County, MI. I have the deeds from the sale in NY and for the purchase in Michigan.
    I had some assistance from an angel on another group who went to the county courthouse and looked for other deeds, as well as a probate record for this ancestor as it appears he died 4 years later (his wife was listed as head of household on 1840 census). She was unable to find a will for him at the courthouse, yet somehow we have found over a period of 9 years (1841-1850) 3 of this ancestor's sons and 2 son in laws conveyed the exact same property (in its entirety, not a portion each) to the youngest son, their brother. The weird part is no will to show inheritance, there is no deed transferring the property to my ancestors children, and they didn't convey the land at the same time, each issued a deed for the exact same property (and size) a year or two apart from the other over 9 years, until the youngest son who they all conveyed it to, sold it to someone before left moved out of state himself.
    Has anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions?
    No, sorry - wonder if he died intestate. Not sure of the MI procedure, and it was way back then, but there probably would have been an administrator appointed.

There are county tax assessment records; FS has them in their catalog, but apparently they are not online:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Have you found the county biographies? There are several listed in the FS catalog, and includes at least one of them online:

Even if they lived there at the time the book was written, they could have been missed, but sometimes you get lucky and find your peeps. Warning, sometimes the information in these books is a variation on the truth

Comment

Working...
    X