Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Wyatt bc 1790

Thomas Wyatt bc 1790

According to census returns, Thomas Wyatt was born circa 1790 in Devizes, Wiltshire. He married Martha Maslen in Market Lavington on 4 September, 1810 and after her death, Mary Bunn in 1827.

There are three possible baptisms for Thomas in Devizes between 1788 and 1792.
    1 Jan 1787 Particular Baptist, Devizes, son of Joseph & Martha Pead
    24 Mar 1788 St. Mary, Devizes, son of Cornelius and Susannah
    25 Aug, 1792, son of George and Mary (Thomas Weait)

My Thomas was a cordwainer (as was his son), but in 1861, his occupation was given as a barber.

On FMP, there are also two apprenticeship records for Thomas Wyatt:
    1800: Thomas WYATT, aged 11, son of James of Middlesex Militia, apprenticed to Thomas HARRIS, hairdresser of Devizes. Apprenticed by Bear Club in 1804.
    1801: Thomas WYATT, aged 11, son of Cornelius; apprenticed in 1805 to Joseph SAINSBURY, of Market Lavington, for 12 pounds. Source: The Bear Club, Devizes.

There’s also an apprenticeship record in 1792 for another son of Cornelius which gives his occupation as a carpenter. Do you think I can say the second one is mine? Is it possible that a son of a carpenter would be apprenticed as a cordwainer? I don’t have access to Wiltshire trade directories so don’t know what Joseph Sainsbury’s occupation was.

I’ve not had much luck tracing the other two Thomas Wyatts going forward. Thanks.
    Jenny

Do the names of the children give any useful information re the parents? You often find that children will be named after the parents back then.
    St Mary's Church, Bruera, Cheshire. This part of the church dates back to Norman times.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

I never seem to have that luck! No obvious naming pattern for Thomas's children - no names the same as any of the parents from the baptisms. Thomas had four children from his first marriage - James, John, Ann and Mary. From what I can find, Cornelius had sons John and James and George also had a son called John, but both are common names. Nothing definitive there...

Jenny

I also never seem to find a "naming pattern" with most of my families.

It does happen with one of OH's ancestral lines ......... but it doesn't help all that much because every generation has Cuthbert, Gilbert and Robert, so it's hard to distinguish between cousins. Plus, they all also seem to like wives called Elizabeth or variants of it.
    St Mary's Church, Bruera, Cheshire. This part of the church dates back to Norman times.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Did gamekeepers have apprentices?
    Record type Gamekeepers,
    Joseph SAINSBURY appointed for Bishops & West Lavington, by George Duke of MARLBOROUGH.
    Place West Lavington
    County Wiltshire
    Kat

My avatar is my Grandmother - Ida Lock 1897-1988

the trade directories that are on Ancestry came from here and are still free:
    http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/d...on/p16445coll4

no really early stuff for Witlshire, wasn't sure if it helps.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-06-19 at 10:08.
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Blog Entries
    County Record Offices have records of Gamekeepers . I have found many Gamekeepers Records recorded in special book in Northamptonshire CRO. Gamekeepers were usually appointed not indentured by the local landowners.

janet

I assume, not that I think it helps, you saw the baptism record for Thomas Jan 1st 1787? It states that Martha died soon after giving birth, and the sister of Ann Mullins (married name). It is on ancestry, maybe on on FMP?
    Carolyn

having re read the record, I know can't decide who died!
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...76/edit/record

I can see there was a another Thomas Wyatt born to Joseph and Martha in Dec 1787 and baptised Apr 1804

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...20/edit/record
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-06-19 at 21:00.
    Carolyn

Thank you all for your replies. I did see the entry about the gamekeeper but had forgotten about it. I have several gamekeepers in my tree and never heard of an apprentice gamekeeper before.

I’ve now found two Joseph Sainsbury marriages, one in Market Lavington in 1802 – Joseph, a carpenter to a widow Sarah Rutt. The other, in Devizes, Joseph Sainsbury of West Lavington, a cordwainer, to Sarah Calder in 1804. My Wyatt family lived in West Lavington but this doesn’t help at all!
    Jenny