Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a gravestone inscription, please

Thank you, Stephen.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Quote Originally Posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
    Thanks, BB - youngest daughter is a great help in proving I've got the right lady.
    Just done a bit more digging and according to census Mary Ann's father was born in Dovercourt Essex. A tree on Ancestry has the father of Thomas Chaplin Meachen as born in Dovercourt a few years later, so it seems highly likely that Thomas Chaplin & Mary Ann were first cousins. Perhaps she went to look after his children following the death of Thomas's first wife, Eliza?? Mmm, wonder where she was in 1861 census. Thomas Chaplin M started off in the merchant navy (I found his seaman's ticket) but must have given it fairly soon to go and work for a the railway company.
    Jay
    My grandfather was a sailor all of his life starting as a fisherman and oyster dredger in Tollesbury progressing to ferries of the Great Eastern Railway (GER) running from Harwich to the Hook of Holland. During 1891 he served aboard GER Ferry "Brandon" as an AB. 15th May 1908 he gained his Masters Certificate for a home trade passenger ship.
    Is it possible that Thomas followed the same route?

http://www.harwichanddovercourt.co.u...stern-railway/
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-06-19 at 13:13.
    Kat

My avatar is my Grandmother - Ida Lock 1897-1988

That was an interesting career development, Kat. Anything is possible - the longer you play this game, the more fascinated you become with possible twists and turns. I can honestly say that, in over three decades of researching, I've never become bored!

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree