Help with a gravestone inscription, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a gravestone inscription, please

It records that Mary Ann Meachen was the relict of Thomas Meachen and also the daughter of John Meachen of Mundesley. I can't decipher the bit in between:(

(In 1841 & 1851 Mary was in the parental home in Mundesley. I haven't located her in 1861. In 1865 she married mariner Thomas Chaplin Meachen, but I think the marriage was very short with Thomas dying a few months later. In 1871 widowed Mary Ann was back at Mundesley, keeping house for her father. In 1881 she was recorded as a patient in Lowestoft hospital and died later that year.)

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-06-19, 14:11.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I think the 1866 death was perhaps for a different Thomas, who was a railway porter living in Cosford in 1861, with a wife and three children.
    ETA - perhaps not! That Mrs Meachen died in early 1865 and the children were with different family members in 1871.

Finding a conundrum serves me right - Mary Ann was the sister of the wife of a relly and I was just being nosy, wondering what became of her

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-06-19, 14:34.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I can only make out that she was the 'youngest' daughter of John etc. I am afraid I cannot read the first part of that line. However a high resolution copy can be obtained via gravestonephotos.com. The following address should lead you to being able to obtain a copy. Usually they are sent by the next day, sometimes immediately. It is a free service, I have photographed and transcribed many a churchyard for the project, so don't feel bad about being 'nosey' I always hope that one of my photos will help someone.
      grave, monument, image, photograph, gravestone, photographic, resource, gpr, tombstone,Mary Ann Meachen,Thomas Meachen,John Meachen,Municipal,Kirkley, Suffolk,England
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks, BB - youngest daughter is a great help in proving I've got the right lady.
        Just done a bit more digging and according to census Mary Ann's father was born in Dovercourt Essex. A tree on Ancestry has the father of Thomas Chaplin Meachen as born in Dovercourt a few years later, so it seems highly likely that Thomas Chaplin & Mary Ann were first cousins. Perhaps she went to look after his children following the death of Thomas's first wife, Eliza?? Mmm, wonder where she was in 1861 census. Thomas Chaplin M started off in the merchant navy (I found his seaman's ticket) but must have given it fairly soon to go and work for a the railway company.

Thanks also for the advice about obtaining images from gravestonephotos.com - I was unaware of the service.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Sorry Janet, we had a power cut from 15.00-18.00hrs, so wasn't able to do any further investigation. I have been unable to find her in 1861 census either but I have found this death notice in Norfolk News 13 Aug 1881
          MEACHEN Aug 9, at Lowestoft, Mary Ann relict of the late Thomas Meachen of Hadleigh, and youngest daughter of the late John Meachen of Mundesley, after a long painful affliction.

I will see if I can find anything else. Meanwhile it is interesting re the Chaplin reference. I have a Chaplin link within my Norfolk Youell family, ie Charles Chaplin Youell 1843-1872 although I haven't found any further 'Chaplins'. Now on my to do list
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

1855 Thomas Chaplin Meachen married Eliza Blanch in Southwark
            1865 ditto married Mary Ann Meachen district Erpingham. So appears to be the same man and Mary Ann 2nd wife. Sorry I still haven't found her in 1861. There is however another notice related to her death. Wording is very similar although 'deeply regretted' is stated rather then 'after a long painful affliction.' So somebody must have thought well of her as I cannot find any notices related to Thomas or John.
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Just had a final look at newspapers, filtering Suffolk. Found notice for John

Ipswich Journal 2 Dec 1873
              MEACHEN 25th ult, at Mundesley Norfolk John Meachen aged 81.
              Bubblebelle x

Comment

Thank you for the additional newspaper references,BB, which reinforce my theory. Mary Ann had just one sibling, an elder sister Sarah, who married William Kirk of Mundesley, eldest brother of my gt-gt-godmother. William was a master mariner and when he retired from the sea, he, his wife and their son moved from Mundesley to Kirkley, where they were recorded in 1881 census. I had gathered that perhaps Mary Ann was in Lowestoft hospital because she was very poorly and I would imagine that after her father's death she had moved to Lowestoft with the Kirks, before entering the hospital. It must have been her sister Sarah Kirk who arranged for the burial in Kirkley cemetery and for the erection of the gravestone, which also includes the name of her husband Thomas Meachen. I'm assuming that as Thomas died in late 1865/early 1866 he would have been buried elsewhere.

With regards to Youell of Norfolk, another of my rellies (from a different line) married solicitor Edward Pitt Youell of Great Yarmouth. He had four children from his first marriage, then five from the second marriage with my relly, and then another five from his third marriage!

Thanks again for your help.

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-06-19, 20:39.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I am sure you noticed from the census returns that John Meachen was a coastguard.

My Youell family do not appear, at this time, to have any relationship to the Great Yarmouth Youell family. I am directly descended from a long line of Carpenters, who were from the Norfolk/Suffolk border, although moved via Leicestershire to London. Of course they may link up earlier in history.
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...hoto=156530638

It records that Mary Ann Meachen was the relict of Thomas Meachen and also the daughter of John Meachen of Mundesley. I can't decipher the bit in between:(

(In 1841 & 1851 Mary was in the parental home in Mundesley. I haven't located her in 1861. In 1865 she married mariner Thomas Chaplin Meachen, but I think the marriage was very short with Thomas dying a few months later. In 1871 widowed Mary Ann was back at Mundesley, keeping house for her father. In 1881 she was recorded as a patient in Lowestoft hospital and died later that year.)

Jay
                    Hi. I managed to enhance the image a little and the line you cannot read includes a place name where Thomas Meachen presumably lived. Something like Hasleicham. As others have said it then says youngest daughter of.....Don’t know if that helped.

Comment

Thank you, Stephen.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                        Thanks, BB - youngest daughter is a great help in proving I've got the right lady.
                        Just done a bit more digging and according to census Mary Ann's father was born in Dovercourt Essex. A tree on Ancestry has the father of Thomas Chaplin Meachen as born in Dovercourt a few years later, so it seems highly likely that Thomas Chaplin & Mary Ann were first cousins. Perhaps she went to look after his children following the death of Thomas's first wife, Eliza?? Mmm, wonder where she was in 1861 census. Thomas Chaplin M started off in the merchant navy (I found his seaman's ticket) but must have given it fairly soon to go and work for a the railway company.
                        Jay
                        My grandfather was a sailor all of his life starting as a fisherman and oyster dredger in Tollesbury progressing to ferries of the Great Eastern Railway (GER) running from Harwich to the Hook of Holland. During 1891 he served aboard GER Ferry "Brandon" as an AB. 15th May 1908 he gained his Masters Certificate for a home trade passenger ship.
                        Is it possible that Thomas followed the same route?

Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-06-19, 13:13.
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

That was an interesting career development, Kat. Anything is possible - the longer you play this game, the more fascinated you become with possible twists and turns. I can honestly say that, in over three decades of researching, I've never become bored!

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                          X