Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone explain what this is about please?

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    Yes, I think that the dollar amount is a transfer fee - it seems way too low, and too consistent, to be the sale price of the property. Farmland would probably be given by coordinates, so not an address. This could be used as an index to look up property records, if you had access to them.

I wonder if women's property had to be formally transferred to their spouses?? I don't know women's rights to own property in the time period, and it would vary by state.

I know that when my grandparents bought property in Ohio in the 50's, the local newspaper carried a notice of the sale.
    I did wonder if it was some kind of family transfer as most share same surname, so father to son etc, tried to google - but couldn't think what to search for.
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

OK, this would be a labor of love, also known as an exercise left to the reader, but FS has the deeds for Erie county online, but are unindexed, except by county then year (and the index that the county itself used):
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/...3Fcc%3D2078654

Happy hunting
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-06-19 at 04:21.

Hi,

Thanks all. Sorry, I got waylaid this weekend. I didn’t mean to not check back in!