Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: James Jack Esq. Glasgow

Well done Kat, I didn’t find that one. Should have tried FMP instead LOL

I see he’s ten years older than expected in 1851. 1841 has him as 1796.
    A birth place of Lesmahagow helps a lot.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 03-06-19 at 13:50.

Ancestry is playing me up at the moment - I put the exact details from your transcript in ancestry and it couldn't find that one on the 1841 It's happening a lot.
    Kat

My avatar is my Grandmother - Ida Lock 1897-1988

These are the only two Lesmahagow baptisms that it could be. Given that the couple only baptised one son and he was called Thomas, I would be inclined to go with the first one and assume the age on the 1851 census transcription is wrong. This one is a very good match for the person b.c.1796 in the 1841 census.

Surname
    JACK
    Forename
    JAMES
    Parents/ Other Details
    THOMAS JACK/MARGARET FORREST FR377 (FR377)
    Date
    08/06/1794
    Parish Number
    649/
    Ref
    20 97
    Parish
    Lesmahagow

Surname
    JACK
    Forename
    JAMES
    Parents/ Other Details
    THOMAS JACK/ISOBELL LANG FR358 (FR358)
    Date
    02/06/1788
    Parish Number
    649/
    Ref
    20 59
    Parish
    Lesmahagow

OOOOHHH! You could be on to a winner here. I think you should spend the credits on this death as it’s 1855, the golden year when civil registration started in Scotland. You get much more information than at any time since and it should even give you where he is buried. Although it is registered in Carstsirs, he may we’ll have died on the road while at work with his cart. Perhaps on his way through to Edinburgh. Even if you only manage to eliminate him it will be worth the 6 credits.

Surname
    JACK
    Forename
    JAMES
    Age at death
    Mother's Maiden Name
    FORREST
    Year
    Ref
    633/ 7
    RD Name
    Carstairs

Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    Ancestry is playing me up at the moment - I put the exact details from your transcript in ancestry and it couldn't find that one on the 1841 It's happening a lot.

It’s being a right pain lately that’s true.

Thanks for all of this guys, really appreciated. Can a carter have the title of esquire though ? Extra information, Margaret Rankin (Jack) died in Garvagh on 03/06/1867. Are you confident that this is the correct James Jack ?

Had some spare credits. The 1855 death sadly is not him but the 1863 one for Ann JACK is his wife. It tells you Cecelia was the informant and her father was already deceased. Cecelia’s surname is now KERR and she married 1856 so you could check that certificate and see if her father was alive or not. That should narrow it down a bit more.
    The Mitchell Library in Glasgow would be able to tell you more about Ann as she died in the Govan Poor House. There should be admission records and if you are lucky it might say where she was buried. They should also be able to find out which grave yard she is in from the lair books as they can check the nearest ones for you. There will be charges for the research of course but you can ask for an estimate. Hopefully despite her dying in the Poor House, she was in there for medical care and not totally destitute. Then there would be a chance of a family grave and if they find her, they should also find her husband.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 03-06-19 at 14:51.

Courtesy of ScotlandsPeople

Attachment 20109

The forum wont let me view any of your attachments. Any idea why ?

Sorry, I don’t know why as I attached them in the usual way. Maybe an admin can help.