Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best site or program for tracking ancestors (family tree)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best site or program for tracking ancestors (family tree)

I use ancestry.com to keep track of all my ancestors and I really dislike their site, the set up, etc. I want to download my family tree and put it on an entirely different site or computer program so i can stop using ancestry.com's set up. I have over 1,500 ancestors i've tracked so far so it needs to be something that works well with large family trees.

I want to be able to attach documents/photos etc to the person directly as well, not have random files saved separately.

Does anyone recommend a specific program or site that they like to use? Or if anyone knows of more than one just program could you list the ones you do know so i can do research into the one that works best for me?

Thank you so much

I only have a very small tree on ancestry, and have no intention of putting more on there. Everything is kept on my hard drive at home, with back-up and paper copies ..... but I don't have the traditional format tree for family reasons.

Other FTF members will be bale to guide you to sites that offer free tree making.

The sites I use for my research are ..............

ancestry.co.uk ...............MUCH better than ancestry.com IMHO, though most of my research is in the UK not the US. I've had a sub to this since about 2004

FindMyPast, a UK site that also has member trees ........... an English site, I had a brief subscription back in the day, but have had a World sub for the last 3 or 4 years. That gives me access to newspapers.

FamilySearch

then free sites in the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand for bmds, military records, government records, etc.
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 03-06-19, 04:05.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

For security of being sure you'll not lose your tree you should have a program on your own computer .... one that is independent of any online website and that you can back up yourself. There is a section of this Forum about the various programs available. Many people on here use Family Historian or Family Tree Maker. Both will allow you to attach documents to the tree. Also both programs are able to cope with MANY more people than you mention. Your tree of 1500 is still quite small compared to some. I have over 5000 one one of my trees but that is not large either!
      Anne

Comment

I think most software lets you do far more to your tree, searching, mapping, reports far better than the online data portals like ancestry/FMP etc.

I use FTM as it synchs and downloads all of the images I have on Ancestry, with no effort from me.

Rootsmagic - does that too, but far more cumbersome, but seems good software too. I think it maybe depends what you expect/want from software, I would guess they all allow you to attach media.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          For security of being sure you'll not lose your tree you should have a program on your own computer .... one that is independent of any online website and that you can back up yourself. There is a section of this Forum about the various programs available. Many people on here use Family Historian or Family Tree Maker. Both will allow you to attach documents to the tree. Also both programs are able to cope with MANY more people than you mention. Your tree of 1500 is still quite small compared to some. I have over 5000 one one of my trees but that is not large either!
          Anne
          This is exactly what i am looking for, cannot find forum, could you attach a link to this forum you're speaking of? Thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            I think most software lets you do far more to your tree, searching, mapping, reports far better than the online data portals like ancestry/FMP etc.

I use FTM as it synchs and downloads all of the images I have on Ancestry, with no effort from me.

Rootsmagic - does that too, but far more cumbersome, but seems good software too. I think it maybe depends what you expect/want from software, I would guess they all allow you to attach media.
            I do not know what FTM is but will look it up now, thank you for the recommendation

Comment

This is the page from put own Reference Library which gives you the links to the main software packages. Family Historian will let you download a free fully working copy.

Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
              X