Claude henry uhthoff, 133 finborough road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    1911 census is often quite searchable if you put road name in the keywords and enter the lived in as the area, bit hit and miss - but often works.

Also if you locate other residents nearby you can use them to find the address.

I am assuming he may own some of the properties he has lived in so would check a few out, here is how I look in Ancestry as that is the only sub I have:

I have him at 17 Glazbury Road in 1905 in a directory and could easily find that road, an 1911 Clanton Thomas is living there in 1911, so had moved on from there.

1909 and 1910 I have him in Saxonhurst, Effingham Road Epsom
    here is a resident in the road:

Registration district: Kingston
    Registration District Number: 40
    Sub-registration district: Esher
    ED, institution, or vessel: 7
    Household schedule number: 40
    Piece: 3555

enter piece as exact, effingham in keywords and esher gives you the road, all properties are named and not numbered, so at a quick glance not found property, so need a bit of time on that one, Saxonhurst not showing on a search.

1914 and 1915 He is in Birds Oak, Oxshott, Epsom Surrey

this one is quite searchable, Birds Oak in keywords as exact and oxshott as lived in

and have found Ida Uhthoff with daughter Ida Mary, and her sister Maria Anonia. No Henry so must be away from household, so would he be abroad, or elsewhere in England?
    Ancestry has them transcribed as Upthoff

hopefully this helps
    that should have read I have found Ida in 1911 census with daughter and Sister and henry - enrique!
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-06-19, 14:26.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

1911 census is often quite searchable if you put road name in the keywords and enter the lived in as the area, bit hit and miss - but often works.

Also if you locate other residents nearby you can use them to find the address.

I am assuming he may own some of the properties he has lived in so would check a few out, here is how I look in Ancestry as that is the only sub I have:

I have him at 17 Glazbury Road in 1905 in a directory and could easily find that road, an 1911 Clanton Thomas is living there in 1911, so had moved on from there.

1909 and 1910 I have him in Saxonhurst, Effingham Road Epsom
      here is a resident in the road:

Registration district: Kingston
      Registration District Number: 40
      Sub-registration district: Esher
      ED, institution, or vessel: 7
      Household schedule number: 40
      Piece: 3555

enter piece as exact, effingham in keywords and esher gives you the road, all properties are named and not numbered, so at a quick glance not found property, so need a bit of time on that one, Saxonhurst not showing on a search.

1914 and 1915 He is in Birds Oak, Oxshott, Epsom Surrey

this one is quite searchable, Birds Oak in keywords as exact and oxshott as lived in

and have found Ida Uhthoff with daughter Ida Mary, and her sister Maria Anonia. No Henry so must be away from household, so would he be abroad, or elsewhere in England?
      Ancestry has them transcribed as Upthoff

hopefully this helps

Thank you very much lots to go on - have tried some of those suggestions, hit and miss definitely, and thanks for further tips to try.

I still think Claude has been whisked away the Uhthoffs in the 1901 census/given another name temporarily as Annie was a 17 year old servant when he was born.

Annie regularly visits the US in early 1900s so think Arthur and Claude are there as they are there on 1910 US census

1911 Ida Uhthoff mother was born in Colchester - usually known as Kathleen or in 1939 May.

1911 Think Arthur, Claude step-father has died in New York, perhaps Enrique has gone abroad to be with Claude and Annie.

British Newspaper Archive
      Your search results for "rose harding": 1681 newspaper articles contained information about "rose harding". Filter your results by date, publication, region, county, place, type or public tag

Found this sad story about Rose Harding trying to find a resident of Effingham Road in 1911
      Rose Harding a young lady who lived at Walton On Thames, and whose body was recovered from the river on Friday, is reported to have received a few days previously, a notification of her sweetheart's death in France.

Only politely pointing out - Henry should be Enrique - I'd put Enrique Henry and should have been Enrique Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
        The name has been transcribed on Find my Past as Upthoff as well.
        This is the link for Ancestry:
        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

The electoral registers were about year out of date by the time they were published so the 1911 one for Saxonhurst was probably his previous address.
        Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineK View Post
          Thank you very much lots to go on - have tried some of those suggestions, hit and miss definitely, and thanks for further tips to try.

I still think Claude has been whisked away the Uhthoffs in the 1901 census/given another name temporarily as Annie was a 17 year old servant when he was born.

Annie regularly visits the US in early 1900s so think Arthur and Claude are there as they are there on 1910 US census

1911 Ida Uhthoff mother was born in Colchester - usually known as Kathleen or in 1939 May.

1911 Think Arthur, Claude step-father has died in New York, perhaps Enrique has gone abroad to be with Claude and Annie.

British Newspaper Archive
          Your search results for "rose harding": 1681 newspaper articles contained information about "rose harding". Filter your results by date, publication, region, county, place, type or public tag

Found this sad story about Rose Harding trying to find a resident of Effingham Road in 1911
          Rose Harding a young lady who lived at Walton On Thames, and whose body was recovered from the river on Friday, is reported to have received a few days previously, a notification of her sweetheart's death in France.

Only politely pointing out - Henry should be Enrique - I'd put Enrique Henry and should have been Enrique Anthony
          I had corrected the Henry error in my next post, can't edit after a while, at least you have Ida 1911 census now and know that there is no Enrique, unless he stays elsewhere in the UK?

I didn't look for this:
          1911 England Census
          Arthur Henry Parnall (but could have died 1911 in Manhattan, New York)
          Annie Louisa Parnall born 1880 (maiden name Brookes)
          Claude Henry Parnall/Uhthoff born 1897
          do you have the 1901 details?
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-06-19, 23:25.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

searching the 1911 schedules is easier too, I forgot to mention.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

I had corrected the Henry error in my next post, can't edit after a while, at least you have Ida 1911 census now and know that there is no Enrique, unless he stays elsewhere in the UK?

I didn't look for this:
              1911 England Census
              Arthur Henry Parnall (but could have died 1911 in Manhattan, New York)
              Annie Louisa Parnall born 1880 (maiden name Brookes)
              Claude Henry Parnall/Uhthoff born 1897
              do you have the 1901 details?

Thank you for the tips again, shame can't edit posts, can ask moderator to if that makes it easier in the future.

Although can't find, Enrique could have gone to the US in 1911, for work? To see Claude and Annie, if Arthur has died?
              Step-father Arthur I think has died in Manhattan in 1911, Annie is travelling to and from US in 1911, so think Claude is in US in 1911 and Annie is a ship stewardess in 1912

Claude is nowhere to be found in 1901, I think he may be in Switzerland with the Uhthoff family as his grandfather Ludolfe dies there in 1903, father Enrique is not on 1901 census perhaps travelling, perhaps living abroad with his son Claude, as Enrique's father Ludolfe is also on not on 1901 census, Claude could have another name in 1901 or just mistranscribed/misspelt.

Annie I think is a servant in 1901 census in the Precinct Of The Savoy area, I think her parents are Edwin and Jane but without a marriage certificate for Annie and Enrique cannot cross-reference her parents (say they are married on birth certificate and baptism for Claude but they are not married)

Comment

Thank you for the tips again, shame can't edit posts, can ask moderator to if that makes it easier in the future.
                Er no, that isn't possible I am afraid.

You can always pre-type it in notepad and proofread it there or you can always quote the wrong post with the correction underneath it.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                  Er no, that isn't possible I am afraid.

You can always pre-type it in notepad and proofread it there or you can always quote the wrong post with the correction underneath it.
                  Moderator Jill kindly altered my post as someone noticed Enrique's middle name should be Anthony and not Henry.

Yes already type up in Word but can still make human error, was thinking about Enrique's grandfather who was called Henry.

Quoting the wrong post with the correction underneath is probably the best solution as users unable to edit their posts.

Comment

Moderator Jill kindly altered my post as someone noticed Enrique's middle name should be Anthony and not Henry.

Yes already type up in Word but can still make human error, was thinking about Enrique's grandfather who was called Henry.

Quoting the wrong post with the correction underneath is probably the best solution as users unable to edit their posts.
                    Yes, we are aware of Jill's kindness - this is occasionally done as a friendly gesture for brand new members as a helpful one off, but I am sure that you understand that it isn't practical normally. The site is run by volunteers with other things to do with our time.

It is sad that there has to be a time limit on editing but we were forced into this by members who abused the system by editing/deleting their posts later on.
                    Caroline
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Yes of course perfectly understand, but being able to alter the first post myself to correct name Enrique Anthony BUT leaving explanation of Enrique Henry being incorrectly entered in that first post would have been helpful, so you know right at the start the correct name rather than finding out later on.

Best of all try not to make mistakes - but all human!

Thanks for what you all do as moderators. :D

My very first two threads, a moderator once deleted first thread as had put same information on Living Relatives Forum and Dead Ancestor Forum on same site - thought people would focus on living relatives and dead ancestors on the different forums - the moderator deleted one of the threads with some replies on, which the researchers thought I had ungratefully deleted, so had to explain I hadn't deleted their research and had fortunately quite by chance printed so could put back onto the remaining thread - so asked moderator in future could users be contacted first before a thread is deleted, put that thread with research into a holding area, or transfer over the research.

Comment

Yes of course perfectly understand, but being able to alter the first post myself to correct name Enrique Anthony BUT leaving explanation of Enrique Henry being incorrectly entered in that first post would have been helpful, so you know right at the start the correct name rather than finding out later on.

Best of all try not to make mistakes - but all human!

Thanks for what you all do as moderators. :D

My very first two threads, a moderator once deleted first thread as had put same information on Living Relatives Forum and Dead Ancestor Forum on same site - thought people would focus on living relatives and dead ancestors on the different forums - the moderator deleted one of the threads with some replies on, which the researchers thought I had ungratefully deleted, so had to explain I hadn't deleted their research and had fortunately quite by chance printed so could put back onto the remaining thread - so asked moderator in future could users be contacted first before a thread is deleted, put that thread with research into a holding area, or transfer over the research.
                        Having once deleted a thread instead of merging it (in the "back office" so only the moderators were inconvenienced), I can assure you that is all too easy to do - and once done it can't be retrieved.

I think the simple rules of not posting details of possible living people, preparing your text, keeping everything together and also letting people know that requests are repeated elsewhere, and where those places, are helps everyone.
                        Caroline

Comment

Wouldn't even be having this discussion over one word if I could have altered wrong name when other user noticed / if I noticed myself later on - but I can see why you don't let users alter their posts, if others users are deleting posts / altering posts for other reasons.

Text prepared, one name out, everything together, date order.

Lost thread, we're all human, just like I put down wrong name!

Living people weren't posted, asked for living relatives to get in touch.

Thanks

Comment

I have not found any more interesting info.

Do you have ancestry subscription? I see that Enrique and a few others have very many entries for the electoral rolls, have you picked all these up? you can pretty much track his whereabouts for nearly every year. it would be interesting to map these movements and compare with Claude.

There are also some war records for Claude Henry - not sure if any are attributable to him, have you investigated these?

Like previously mentioned there are wills for various members so might be worth getting one or more.

Enrique had quite a few siblings, did you track these to see if they ever link back to him or his family?

I don't have a worldwide sub, but like you have found there are passenger lists back and forth for them and the wider family, so very likely that any were out of the country for census and death.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you Carolyn

Yes I thought Claude might have been staying with Enrique's siblings but no joy there either in 1901.

Claude's step-father Arthur died in 1911 and Annie died in 1914, his World War One and World War Two documents don't bring up anything about family, would be interesting if they had listed any Uhthoffs or Parnalls or Brookes.

I think for 1911 Claude and Annie are either in the US or travelling.

Claude is in a US boarding school in 1905, the first time he is travelling with Annie is 1903, the year his grandfather Ludolfe died, perhaps he was abroad with his grandfather and father from his birth in 1897? I think we'll just never know.

My interest in Claude is that he was baptised with our relatives Horace and Violet - and I believe there was a scandal in late Victorian times in the Kensington area involving wealthy people, the clergy, illegitimate births and baptism - Claude and his parents lived at 133 Finborough Road with Horace and Violet - Mrs May Jezard their grandmother rented apartments (known under many other names Priscilla Thrasher, Priscilla Jezard, Priscilla Torplow/Triplow. born Priscilla May Pope in 1840 Hartest) - Violet and Horace were both illegitimate with false names on their birth certificates and baptisms and the family were theatrical.

Comment

I have to say I am struggling to understand what kind of scandal could be attached to baptism. What would be the point of any wrong doing?

OC

Comment

The baptism register does not show Claude being baptised with anyone called Horace or Violet, he was bapt 1st Aug 1907 at St Philip, Kensington and on the same day Mary Eleanor Connett and Bertie Edmund Pullin.

Comment

Thank you Carolyn

Yes I thought Claude might have been staying with Enrique's siblings but no joy there either in 1901.

Claude's step-father Arthur died in 1911 and Annie died in 1914, his World War One and World War Two documents don't bring up anything about family, would be interesting if they had listed any Uhthoffs or Parnalls or Brookes.

I think for 1911 Claude and Annie are either in the US or travelling.

Claude is in a US boarding school in 1905, the first time he is travelling with Annie is 1903, the year his grandfather Ludolfe died, perhaps he was abroad with his grandfather and father from his birth in 1897? I think we'll just never know.

My interest in Claude is that he was baptised with our relatives Horace and Violet - and I believe there was a scandal in late Victorian times in the Kensington area involving wealthy people, the clergy, illegitimate births and baptism - Claude and his parents lived at 133 Finborough Road with Horace and Violet - Mrs May Jezard their grandmother rented apartments (known under many other names Priscilla Thrasher, Priscilla Jezard, Priscilla Torplow/Triplow. born Priscilla May Pope in 1840 Hartest) - Violet and Horace were both illegitimate with false names on their birth certificates and baptisms and the family were theatrical.
                                    So Claude (and the Uhthoffs) are not your family at all, just parents using the address as their abode, and it is 133 Finborough Road you are interested in?

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    I have to say I am struggling to understand what kind of scandal could be attached to baptism. What would be the point of any wrong doing?

OC
                                    Me too - how do you know that they are false parents?

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                    The baptism register does not show Claude being baptised with anyone called Horace or Violet, he was bapt 1st Aug 1907 at St Philip, Kensington and on the same day Mary Eleanor Connett and Bertie Edmund Pullin.
                                    They were baptised in July 1896 - but parents both have listed 133 Finborough road as their address. (I think you meant 1897 not 1907)
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

I have just found 133 Finborough road in 1901 census - and it is unoccupied, along with 131

London --> Kensington -->Brompton --> District 17 Page 40

you also get a lot of the elec reg by putting in 133 finborough road in the keywords. I added Earls Court as lived in

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]

[/COLOR]
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

They were baptised in July 1896 - but parents both have listed 133 Finborough road as their address. (I think you meant 1897 not 1907)
                                        Yes, a typo on my part, thank you for spotting it.

Comment

I have just found 133 Finborough road in 1901 census - and it is unoccupied, along with 131

London --> Kensington -->Brompton --> District 17 Page 40

you also get a lot of the elec reg by putting in 133 finborough road in the keywords. I added Earls Court as lived in

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]

[/COLOR]
                                          Thanks Carolyn for your excellent instructions, haven't been confident enough to use that before - but do now! Priscilla presumably bought the house at auction in 1895 as you find her in the London Electoral Register at that address and is the address on her 1900 death certificate, wonder why the house was sold?

Daughters: Ruth married in 1900 Fulham to Albert Court (as Ruby Jezard and Edward Albert Court), Alice stays in 13 Finborough Road in 1901 census living on own means, Eliza has disappeared (Eliza Priscilla Thrasher born 1868 St Giles), Louisa is a servant at Dorset Mansions in 1901, her married sister Ruby Court is living in the same apartments with her husband Edward.

Comment

Working...
                                          X