No announcement yet.

lee birmingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have a john lea blacksmith 28 and wife Elizabeth 25living with family of William and Elizabeth Rodgers in Dartmouth street aston
    on birth certificate of francis lea born 1851 his mothers name is down as simpson [ her maiden name] ,but the marriage certificate of Sophia and francis in 1844 her maiden name is given as Rodgers but the witnesses were William and Elizabeth simpson. but it is more the lees I am looking for.

Comment

We are trying to locate the birth place for Edward and Francis so that we can try and find their parents, I think we are all confused how you know that these 2 are brothers, have you seen documents that tie them together as brothers?

dob 1824 Francis has Worcester city in the 1861 and 1871 census
      dob 1823 to 1828 Edward has Birmingham in census 1851, 1861 and 1881 and Broseley, Shropshire, England in 1871

dob 1813 John Lea can only find 1841 census born in county
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        dob 1813 John Lea can only find 1841 census born in county
        Just for info. I have tracked John Lee and Margaret through the census.
        Dob's vary
        John Lees 48 Smith b Birmingham
        Margaret Lees 40 ?Overey, Birmingham
        Edward Detheridge, 38, Lodger, Labourer b Birmingham - marries Margaret 1873
        Living 3 Lower H? street, Birmingham St Lukes

John Lee dies between 1851 and 1861. There are x 3 possible deaths on FMP.

M Lee Widow, 44 Steel ? Maker b Birmingham
        William Rogers Widower, 89, Wire Drawer b Wales
        Edward Detheridge 42 Boarder, Labourer b Birmingham
        Living Blk 6, Lower ? Fazeley St, Birmingham St John

1873 Marriage of Margaret and Edward Detheridge
        St Peters & St Paul 24/08/1873
        Witnesses Joseph & Mary Smith

1881 Edward Detheridge b 1819 aged 62 dies Aston reg
        1883 Margaret Deatheridge b 1813 aged 70. Birmingham Witton Cemetery

Still nothing obvious to me to link Edward, Francis and John as brothers.

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 01-06-19, 14:42.

Comment

Like you Vera I am not seeing anything to make them brothers apart with sharing same fathers name, I suppose it does mean that they could be cousins. But can't see how Francis can be born in a different place, when ages are so close.

I suppose their deaths won't be able to tell us anything new, unless they outlived their spouses.

Not found a likely death for Edward, can see a milkman, at right age and right place, but that doesn't fit really, unless he had a late career change.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Anything is possible with Edward

Just found Edward and Maria with George and Maria on 1891. Edward b Swindon! and not a mistranscribe.

I did browse Broseley baps. Only one Lee recorded between 1813-1833

If a death can be pinpointed for Edward, Francis and John, the cert may give some clues in the absence of any record so far moving things on

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 01-06-19, 18:19.

Comment

That 1891 puts him at same address as last few census - Summer Hill Street, so rules him out as the milkman!

for info here is the probate I found, wife Maria 71 Grosvenor Street West

kellys
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

was trying to see if Swindon should be something else. I have a relative that was born in chooksberry as written on census....Tewkesbury to the rest of us!
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

That is a tempting one. However a large sum of money for someone who was previously a General Labourer. Oh see you have eliminated.

I can see d Maria as Head living with a Lodger in 1901.
                  Would have expected her to be with parents.

There are 2 deaths for Edward and Maria but dobs way out

Maria buried April, 1894 Witton Cemetery. GRO aged 63
                  Edward buried May 1897 Witton Cemetery. GRO aged 68

If them likely George would be informant

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 01-06-19, 19:27.

Comment

Possible death for Francis. 2nd wife Hannah Haines a widow in 1891.

Francis Lee Dec Q 1883 Birmingham aged 56.
                    Buried Witton Cemetery December 1883.

Vera

Comment

have found this:

"Swindon is a village and civil parish located in Staffordshire, just outside the West Midlands conurbation. The nearest major town is Dudley, approximately five miles eastwards. It stands halfway between the small town of Kingswinford and village of Wombourne."

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 01-06-19, 20:14.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

That does look promising. Will have another look.
                        He may have arrived in Birmingham at a young age. Wonder is that near Worcester

Vera

Comment

it maybe clutching at straws...have marked on maps, including kidderminster, just to get some idea where everything is

.map1.JPG

map2.JPG
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

yes that is all i have to go on i am afraid.

Comment

its not to far away.

Comment

there is a swynnerton in Staffordshire.

Comment

Swynnerton is 40 miles North of Swindon, Staffs. So not too far between the two for back in the day. However note Swindon very close to Dudley.

Pretty sure Francis Lea remarries in 1875 after ?Sophia's death in 1874 to Hannah Haines a Widow. He gives father as Francis on mc a Forger.

FMP have Swindon records but late for parents marriage or bap of Edward. No death for likely parents either. So they possibly died Birmingham.

Will check out Swynnerton for an Edward bap

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by gracemegan View Post
                                    yes that is all i have to go on i am afraid.
                                    how do you know that Francis and Edward are brothers?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Pretty sure Francis Lea remarries in 1875 after ?Sophia's death in 1874 to Hannah Haines a Widow. He gives father as Francis on mc a Forger.

Vera
                                      So Francis no longer son of John, how odd. Or maybe he was John Francis.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

afraid they have had me baffled for years.

Comment

Working...
                                        X