Is it me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me?

Trying to edit on ancestry and it won't let me - the box goes tiny and doesn't allow me to write anything.

Have used desktop and ipad and still the same problem.

Anyone else having the same trouble.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

seems ok for me, you mean the quick edit from either tree, or drop down box on profile?

not on desktop at the moment - but I did have some problems with that a while ago when I went for the new beta version - so reverted to old.

It did work on edge I think but not chrome
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 19-05-19, 12:59.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Both - can't add a marriage or add a note to the profile of an individual

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

just tried on PC and is fine there too. What browser are you using?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I'm having the same problem - I click on edit but the box shrinks into a thin oblong and fails to accept any typing.

Comment

have you got the beta on?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

No haven't changed anything so don't know what's happened.

Comment

are you using Chrome? try Edge on the PC and see if it makes a difference.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

I don't understand why its changed as I haven't done anything. BETA is switched off on ancestry.

Have looked at OH's laptop and its fine there and I can also add details on my desktop using FTM.

I can access Edge but OH doesn't want it as normal browser but it did work on there. So I will have to switch to it when working on ancestry which is a phaff as I can't switch easily between the two browsers if I have different pages open.

Just wish I could get it back to what it was.

Comment

Mine did go wrong when I went to beta version of ancestry so turned it off (I could only do this in Edge!) and have not gone back since.

I don't like Edge, can only assume that Chrome has had an update.

I am on Version 74.0.3729.157 (Official Build) (64-bit)...and now it has just done an update!

edit - I am now on
                    74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit) and seems to be working fine, so maybe check for updates.

Go to the three little dots, help, about google chrome

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-05-19, 14:13.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I cannot access family search site unless I go onto Edge but that happened quite awhile ago.

Wonder if there's been an update with my op system too - I'm on windows not chrome.
                      Last edited by JBee; 22-05-19, 17:15.

Comment

Windows is the operating system, chrome is the browser. So if not using Edge will be Mozilla/Firefox maybe? - I have just tried that and it seems ok

I think Internet Explorer (IE) is still available on win 10 but I don't have that installed to test.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Yes it would be Internet Explorer as we have windows 10.

Comment

I can't access it anyway because it does not recognise me or my password and just sends me round in an eternal loop.

OC

Comment

I did have it installed I thought they hadn't bothered on new PCs due to wanting everyone to use edge!

It seems to work OK version is 11.766.17134.0

Might be worth seeing if there is an update?
                              Internet Explorer 11 support ended on June 15, 2022. Switch to Microsoft Edge for a faster, more secure and more modern web browsing experience.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks will tell OH

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                  Mine did go wrong when I went to beta version of ancestry so turned it off (I could only do this in Edge!) and have not gone back since.

I don't like Edge, can only assume that Chrome has had an update.

I am on Version 74.0.3729.157 (Official Build) (64-bit)...and now it has just done an update!

edit - I am now on
                                  74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit) and seems to be working fine, so maybe check for updates.

Go to the three little dots, help, about google chrome

Ancestry had major hiccups a week or so back when they were doing an update to their new tools - during that time which lasted a couple of days, I couldn't use Chrome on Ancestry at all and had to switch to using Opera. Once they'd finished the updates and I had made sure I was using the most up to date Chrome (currently Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and cleared my cache everything was fine again. Apart from then, I've had no issues using Chrome with the new Beta DNA tools. I also make sure to keep Windows 10 up to date too.

Have you tried the BETA since?
                                  I can't reproduce JBee's issues either - though I'm not quite sure what that is, I wonder if you had hit the time when Ancestry plus Chrome equalled useless??
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

It must have been a couple of weeks back (or maybe more) that I had the issue, then I did try again maybe a week ago. I can try again, but as there wasn't much that it was giving me I decided to wait.

I use Chrome as a default.

it did have the same problem as Jbee, which is why I wondered if she had beta on, I had to go into edge to switch it off.

Edit - have just checked and can see I go to the 'tree search' it says BETA in the side opening box, that was what was giving me problems, so I msut have switched it back on.

I have my tree tags on but dna off, will test later on pc
                                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 24-05-19, 09:03.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      I can't access it anyway because it does not recognise me or my password and just sends me round in an eternal loop.

OC
                                      Ancestry keeps on doing this to me, if I want to open a link on one of the trees. It lets me log on and search (shows my user name) but if I click on a link, it asks me to sign in. If I do so, it tells me that my user name or password is incorrect. Been doing this for two or three weeks and is nearly driving me insane. Sometimes once I'm in I'm in for the session; at other times doing a different search means the pantomime starts again. For looking at marriages in a tree, a long, narrow rectangular searchbox appears and I can't view the record.

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                      X