Australia Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia Research

I am trying to find a death for a Reginald Kenneth Saunders born on 23rd July 1918. Lewisham London England. He went to Australia in 1951 and took Australian citizenship about 1961 He travelled with Barbara Saunders (wife) born 1922 nee Edwards He departed from Glasgow Scotland on 13th November 1951 ship name Cameronia ( P and O ). Is it possible to find a death date or death notice ? How can I find out about his life in Australia or electoral registers, His Occupation was Electrician. I would like to find out if he had any children born after he arrived in Australia. Destination was Melbourne . Any help of any kind would be much appreciated Is it possible to buy a Death certificate for him just as we would in UK I have a copy of his Birth certificate. Thank you Pam in UK

Why do you think they were bound for Melbourne? The passenger list says they were both bound for Sydney.
    Both Victoria and NSW online death indexes presently only cover deaths up to whatever today’s date is 1989. Today I can search up to 15 May 1989 for example. There are no matching entries for either of them in both of the states.
    I haven’t found any matches either on electoral rolls on ancestry or FindMyPast. The ones online are too early for this couple.
    There is this one but the wife is Dianne Margaret, maybe a further marriage?
    Name: Reginald Kenneth Saunders
    Electoral Year: 1980
    Subdistrict: Castle Hill
    State: New South Wales
    District: Mitchell

Maybe someone can find a funeral notice on Trove for you. I am absolutely hopeless finding things on there.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-05-19, 19:49.

Comment

Not good at searching Trove either but what I could see was for newspaper records up to about mid 50's.

Cant see a naturalization record for 1961. There is one with an 1961 date but for Reginald Kenneth Saunders b 23/07/1918, a Navy man who applied in 1946.

Vera
      Last edited by vera2013; 15-05-19, 20:18.

Comment

A Reginald K married Barbara Edwards 1951 in Salisbury, Wilts. He is the one as you say who travelled out in 1951

There is also a Reginald K who married in Lewisham 1941 to May/Mary Grimshaw. He is the navy man who applied for citizenship in 1946.

Vera

Comment

Looks like he had a son, *****.

[SAUNDERS, Reginald Kenneth (Navy Service No.: C/MX 78953) born in London on 23 July 1918; Wife: May Ellen SAUNDERS; Son: ***** SAUNDERS - Application dated: Sydney, 17 January 1946]
          Last edited by Jill on the A272; 16-05-19, 06:05. Reason: potential living person removed
          Jacky

Comment

This marriage tallies with the above......If this is your man?

Name Reginald K Saunders
            Event Type Marriage Registration
            Event Place Lewisham, London, England
            Registration District Lewisham
            County London
            Registration Year 1941
            Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar
            Page 1802
            Affiliate Line Number 22
            Volume 1D
            Spouse Name (available after 1911) Grimshaw
            Possible Spouse May E Grimshaw
            Jacky

Comment

Some sites for you ............

Entering Reginald Kenneth Saunders, 1940-1980, choosing All records

A12288 2/650 [SAUNDERS, Reginald Kenneth (Navy Service No.: C/MX 78953) born in London on 23 July 1918; Wife: May Ellen SAUNDERS; Son: ***** SAUNDERS - Application dated: Sydney, 17 January 1946]
              Access status: Open Location: Canberra 1946 - 1946

ie, as posted by TillyMint

If you click on Open, you are able to get a copy of the records

You can then do another search by clicking on Passenger Listing, search for Saunders, 1945-1952, Cameronia.

The record will come up, and you can click on the digital copy of the Passenger List

Reginald is apparently going to 13 Audrey Street, Balgowlah, Sydney, NSW, as is a Barbara Saunders
              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 16-05-19, 06:06. Reason: potentially living person removed
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

NSW bmds ........

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

Click on Family History Research ......... Births over 100 years ago, Deaths over 30 years ago, Marriages over 50 years ago

The Ryerson Index is to death notices and obituaries in Australian newspapers ......

An index to death and funeral notices, and other death-type information, published in Australian newspapers from 1803 to the present

Australian Cemeteries Index .......

????????
                Family Name Given Names Birth Death Age Details Cemetery Row, Plot
                Saunders Reginald Kenneth 1918? 21 Aug 1996 78 Centennial Park SA

I also found a Barbara Saunders and a Barbara Isobel Saunders, but buried in different states

Genealogy South Australia ............

Newspaper Death Notices
                Source Surname Given Name Publication Year Find out more
                Advertiser SAUNDERS Reginald Kenneth (Reg) 1996 Find out more...

BUT it will cost you Aust$17.60 to see details.

Trove is an online database of Australian publications .........

Australia’s free online research portal. Trove is a collaboration between the National Library of Australia and hundreds of Partner organisations around Australia.

You then have to play around and see how it works!
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

???????????????

from Trove

found by clicking on Advanced Search (under the big green search button), then entering his full name, and choosing "the phrase" in the box next to the Keyword

There are 3 entries (says 4 but I could only find 3) between 1993 and 1996, all in Queensland regarding bankruptcy .....

Bankruptcy Act 1966 INTENTION TO DECLARE DIVIDENDS
                  Commonwealth of Australia Gazette. Business (National : 1987 - 2004) Tuesday 1 February 1994 p 309
                  Government Gazette Private Notices
                  ... separate estate of Reginald Kenneth Saunders, marketing consultant, of Unit 1137, Hillside Terraces, Laguna ... 384 words

Queensland bmds ..........

Discover your family history. This helpful search index is a great start when you are researching your family history in Queensland.

choose family history research

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. The marriage to May E Grimshaw ended after he applied to go to Australia with her and son *****. He then married Barbara Saunders in 1950 in Salisbury Wiltshire. They have the same London address on the Passenger list details . I did spot a death for a Reginald Kenneth Saunders for 2002 but don't know if that's my man I can confirm his birthdate is 23 July 1918. Thanks Pam
                    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 16-05-19, 14:56.

Comment

The son is potentially still alive so I have had to remove his name where three members have named him.

Comment

There seems to be endless confusion on ancestry trees, all of them public re: Reginald Kenneth Saunders. There are actual birthdates to match the one you have certified. Also a couple as 09/18 which I suspect is just the birth index reference.
                        But - he is shown variously with three wives, the third being Monica Gordon Ryan 1924 - 2015. There is a tree entry for a female child to this marriage. Annoyingly , no tree shows more than one wife.
                        This female child married and had children presumably to a Mr Wilders, this fact deduced from the tree as the name and full birth and death dates of a two year old boy are in that public tree.
                        One has Reginald dying 2001 in Australia but no source. Another has his him supposedly in a 1939 London telephone book but I can’t see why they think that is him as the address is for a Reginald C. Saunders.
                        The only consistent things that I can see are the deaths of his brother Edward Kitchener Saunders in 1986 and sister Audrey Maud Saunders in 1996. Audrey was married but no children shown and her husband is also deceased.
                        Edward Kitchener Saunders was married to Marie T Nickells also now deceased and they had a son Edward Charles who died in 2003. He was married and according to the tree his wife is living.
                        I think your best bet would be to try to find this lady from marriage indexes and use electoral search to see if you can find her whereabouts. Perhaps she knows where/when Reginald died?
                        Or you could trace the children of the daughter of Reginald and Monica Gordon Ryan as in another of the trees.
                        The son of Reginald and May E Grimshaw is actually named in the Grimshaw tree. Although his death date says unknown, the tree owner must have marked him as deceased for his name to show publicly. Maybe the tree owner could help you?

Comment

Working...
                        X