Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mateer Family

Hi,

I am researching my irish roots and am looking for more information regarding 3 ancestors.

William Mateer born 1756 died 1812 - married to Isabella born 1757 died 1803

Alexander Mateer born 1777 died 1846 - married to jane mccaster 1786 died 1854

Hugh Mateer born about 1819 - married Margaret Cavan

Information above was given to be by a distant relative.

any information would appreciated!!

looking for parents and possible siblings for William

siblings for alexander and siblings of hugh if possible plus any information about any of them really would be fantastic!!

cheers people your help is really appreciated

forgot to mention they are all from Ireland - belfast area i believe

Comment

quite a lot of records for Mateer on FMP website

Comment

what is fmp website? i cant say i have heard of that

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
        quite a lot of records for Mateer on FMP website

Comment

It's Find My Past. Sometimes you can get free access to that or Ancestry via your local library, it differs from county to county, but worth looking into.

Comment

You can search for both civil and church records for free here:

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

The 1901 and 1911 censuses are here:

Last edited by Katarzyna; 09-05-19, 10:56.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

If you know the parish you can search the R C registers here:

This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

Church of Ireland Project - ongoing

The Anglican Record Project, which is the work of Mark Williams, is an ongoing endeavour to make the registers of baptism, marriage and burial from Church of Ireland parishes available in a digital format (ie as indexed transcripts). The Project feeds into the Library’s long–term goal of digitizing and indexing all of its parish registers for a worldwide audience. The online version is hosted by the Representative Church Body Library, which will periodically introduce new transcripts of par1

Public Record Office N I

Edit: Search our Irish pages here for more info:

Last edited by Katarzyna; 09-05-19, 11:33.
              Kat

Comment

The records you need are probably not on-line.

The births, marriages and deaths are all long before the start of civil registration in Ireland (1864, save for non RC marriages which were registered from 1845). So to trace BDMs before that you need to know the exact denomination and roughly where the event took place. Not all churches have records for the dates you are interested in and even where they do they are not all on-line. If they do exist, they are probably in PRONI in Belfast but a personal visit is required to look them up.

I had a look at the 1901 Irish census. There were 298 Mateers in Ireland (plus there will be some variant spellings). Most were in Counties Down and Antrim ie around Belfast. The vast majority were Presbyterian with some Church of Ireland. Very few Presbyterian records are on-line and at present only some Church of Ireland are on. However they do include St Anne’s Shankill the main parish church in Belfast. You could try rootsireland to see if you get any matches but otherwise it'd be a question of going through all the Presbyterian and Church of Ireland records for Belfast in PRONI. That’s about 100 churches though not all were in existence for the periods you need, so the actual number to be searched is probably about 20 -25.

Presbyterians built Belfast and for a long time were the main denomination in that area. They were mainly Scots who arrived in Ireland in the 1600s.
                Last edited by Elwyn; 09-05-19, 13:20.
                Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

alexander mateer married jean mcmaster 2 dec 1807 in presbyterian, boardmills, down ireland according to findmypast but doesnt give me any further info than that.

Comment

You need to work backwards on your tree rather than forward from obscure Mateers that you cannot be sure you are actually related to. What evidence ie, B M D or censuses which show they came from Ireland to UK? You should work backwards from these. How are you related to Alexander and Jean?
                    Kat

Comment

they are my 5x great grandparents

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      You need to work backwards on your tree rather than forward from obscure Mateers that you cannot be sure you are actually related to. What evidence ie, B M D or censuses which show they came from Ireland to UK? You should work backwards from these. How are you related to Alexander and Jean?
                      Last edited by mateer1987; 09-05-19, 16:49.

Comment

Originally posted by mateer1987 View Post
                        alexander mateer married jean mcmaster 2 dec 1807 in presbyterian, boardmills, down ireland according to findmypast but doesnt give me any further info than that.
                        Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church and thereafter she'd normally attend her husband's. So the McMaster family probably attended Boardmills 1st. (That’s near Saintfield, about 20 miles south of Belfast).

This is what records exist for Boardmills 1st Presbyterian in PRONI in Belfast:

Baptisms, 1782-1933; marriages, 1782-1814 and 1823- 1929; session minutes, 1784-1816 and 1849-89; accounts, 1785-93; private censures, 1784-1816 and 1824-42; transfer certificates, 1824-42; financial report, 1917-18.
                        MIC1P/72; D1759/1D/2 (now MIC637/2); CR/5

I can add this info on the Mateer/McMaster marriage, taken from Ros Davies site:

Jane/Jean McMaster of Killaney parish, married Alexander Mateer/ McTeer 2 Dec 1807 at Boardmills Presbyterian Church; mother of Eliner b. 25 May 1808 & Sarah bpt. 5 Aug 1810 & Isabella b. 30 Aug 1811 & Ann b. 22 Feb 1812 & Susan b. 20 Mar 1816 & William b. 14 Aug 1818 & Samuel b. 12 Feb 1820 & Thomas b. 21 Feb 1822 & John b. 25 Dec 1825 & Mary b. 1 Oct 1830 & Alexander Lowry Mateer b. 16 Oct 1833 & bpt. Boardmills Presbyterian Church

Also: Margaret Cavan married Hugh McAteer 3 Nov 1832 at Kircubbin Presbyterian Church. Records for that church in PRONI:

Baptisms, 1778-1949; marriages, 1781-1935; collections and accounts, 1777-87.

So the Cavan family probably attended Kircubbin Presbyterian.
                        Last edited by Elwyn; 09-05-19, 20:18.
                        Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Was there a birth record for Hugh McAteer listing his parents as Jane and Alexander by any chance?

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
                          Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church and thereafter she'd normally attend her husband's. So the McMaster family probably attended Boardmills 1st. (That’s near Saintfield, about 20 miles south of Belfast).

This is what records exist for Boardmills 1st Presbyterian in PRONI in Belfast:

Baptisms, 1782-1933; marriages, 1782-1814 and 1823- 1929; session minutes, 1784-1816 and 1849-89; accounts, 1785-93; private censures, 1784-1816 and 1824-42; transfer certificates, 1824-42; financial report, 1917-18.
                          MIC1P/72; D1759/1D/2 (now MIC637/2); CR/5

I can add this info on the Mateer/McMaster marriage, taken from Ros Davies site:

Jane/Jean McMaster of Killaney parish, married Alexander Mateer/ McTeer 2 Dec 1807 at Boardmills Presbyterian Church; mother of Eliner b. 25 May 1808 & Sarah bpt. 5 Aug 1810 & Isabella b. 30 Aug 1811 & Ann b. 22 Feb 1812 & Susan b. 20 Mar 1816 & William b. 14 Aug 1818 & Samuel b. 12 Feb 1820 & Thomas b. 21 Feb 1822 & John b. 25 Dec 1825 & Mary b. 1 Oct 1830 & Alexander Lowry Mateer b. 16 Oct 1833 & bpt. Boardmills Presbyterian Church

Also: Margaret Cavan married Hugh McAteer 3 Nov 1832 at Kircubbin Presbyterian Church. Records for that church in PRONI:

Baptisms, 1778-1949; marriages, 1781-1935; collections and accounts, 1777-87.

So the Cavan family probably attended Kircubbin Presbyterian.

Comment

I have come across my 7x great grandparents - sibion madter and joan phelan. I have no clue where to even begin looking for sibion madter - Im not sure it is even an english name haha

Comment

Was there a birth record for Hugh McAteer listing his parents as Jane and Alexander by any chance?
                              No I have no information on Hugh’s parents. Probably he was baptised in a church whose records are not on-line. Finding his baptism will probably involve a search in PRONI.

Here’s a link to Ros Davies site. It contains various BDMs she has come across but is not a transcription of the church records.

The name Mateer (and its variant spellings) is very common in the area. I am struck by the fact that the Cavan marriage was some way away from the McMaster marriage in Boardmills. (Kircubbin is on the Ards peninsula). As has been already mentioned, you need to trace backwards in a way that ensures you have the right families. Sometimes people just guess which ancestors are theirs, stick the information on Ancestry and it then becomes gospel (for some).

Mateer/McAteer is a Scottish surname and will have come to Co. Down in the 1600s when huge numbers of Scots settled there.

In your next post you mention “Sibion Madter.” In my opinion that’s a name that’s got garbled. I doubt it’s quite correct.
                              Last edited by Elwyn; 09-05-19, 21:03.
                              Elwyn

Comment

thank you so much for your help. what tips can you give me when tracing my family backwards like you say. how can i determine that i have the correct person? things i should be looking out for example

Comment

we can never know if trees are correct - but here is one that might help

Alexander Mateer

Born 30 September 1776 - Ireland
                                  Deceased 21 September 1846 - Shippensburg, Cumberland, Pennsylvania, United States, aged 69 years old
                                  Buried - Spring Hill Cemetery, Shippensburg, Cumberland, Pennsylvania, United States

Spouses and children

Married 2 December 1807, Presbyterian Church, Boardmills, Down, Ireland, to Jane McMaster ca 1768-1854 with
                                  F Eliner Mateer 1808-
                                  F Ann Mateer 1812-
                                  F Jane Mateer 1814-
                                  F Susan Mateer 1816-
                                  M William Mateer 1818-
                                  M Samuel Mateer 1820-
                                  M Thomas Mateer 1822-1908
                                  M John Mateer 1825-
                                  F Mary Mateer 1830-1902
                                  M Alexander Lowry Mateer 1833-1862

Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

thank you!!

The only thing that baffles me is hugh - he is son of alexander and jane yet i cannot find birth/baptism record for him to confirm that he fits in this tree. i have his marriage record which lists him as hugh ‘mcateer’ and thats it

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                                    we can never know if trees are correct - but here is one that might help

Alexander Mateer

Born 30 September 1776 - Ireland
                                    Deceased 21 September 1846 - Shippensburg, Cumberland, Pennsylvania, United States, aged 69 years old
                                    Buried - Spring Hill Cemetery, Shippensburg, Cumberland, Pennsylvania, United States

Spouses and children

Married 2 December 1807, Presbyterian Church, Boardmills, Down, Ireland, to Jane McMaster ca 1768-1854 with
                                    F Eliner Mateer 1808-
                                    F Ann Mateer 1812-
                                    F Jane Mateer 1814-
                                    F Susan Mateer 1816-
                                    M William Mateer 1818-
                                    M Samuel Mateer 1820-
                                    M Thomas Mateer 1822-1908
                                    M John Mateer 1825-
                                    F Mary Mateer 1830-1902
                                    M Alexander Lowry Mateer 1833-1862

https://gw.geneanet.org/claykline?n=...c=&p=alexander

Comment

thank you so much for your help. what tips can you give me when tracing my family backwards like you say. how can i determine that i have the correct person? things i should be looking out for example
                                      The main thing is to double check each piece of information wherever possible. Go back one generation at a time, starting with you or your parents, and use original documents wherever available. Try and check censuses and so on to ensure that the names, locations and occupations all time in.

Don’t rely on anything on a tree on a public site without checking the information on it. There are a lot of trees with wildly inaccurate data which has just been cut and pasted without verification.

Another tip is to employ a researcher.
                                      Elwyn

Comment

Working...
                                      X