No announcement yet.

Clark Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly the marriage certificate doesnt really help much - says he was a greengrocer at time of the wedding, section for father is blank and the witnesses are lily saunders and s j gentle? i think it says haha. it is confusing because there is 2 arthur g clarks - arthur g clark (1907 - father) and his son Arthur G Clark (born 1934). it is the 1907 im looking for but cannot for the life of me find anything. the only other info on marriage certificate is that they got married in chesterton. i would upload a cropped image just showing info for arthur but dont know how to do it or if it is even allowed

Comment

someone on ancestry has his marriage as:
      15 Aug 1933 • New Road Methodist Church,Peterborough, Northamptonshire, UK
      Gladys Irene Lister
      (1908–1978)
      Not checked if she is correct.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

looking at it record it could possibly be although not sure how i could confirm it, dates seem about right. on marriage certificate it doesn't list his father either. makes me wonder what happened to his mother and father. very puzzling

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        found this on Ancestry, no father so pretty sure not right. Grandfather came from Bedford so not miles away from Cambridge....

and as GR has it this I think, so before May
        CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE -
        GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in WHITBY Volume 09D Page 448

The saddler looks promising not far away in Peterborough - he could have changed profession

Comment

no on certificate marriage was 22 June 1934 in chesterton, cambridge. they had wedding in chesterton registry office

Comment

No father's name on his marriage cert almost certainly means he was illegitimate, in my view.

OC

Comment

possibly, just so confused by it all if im honest. baffles me that there isnt a trace of him

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              No father's name on his marriage cert almost certainly means he was illegitimate, in my view.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by mateer1987 View Post
                Sadly the marriage certificate doesnt really help much - says he was a greengrocer at time of the wedding, section for father is blank and the witnesses are lily saunders and s j gentle? i think it says haha. it is confusing because there is 2 arthur g clarks - arthur g clark (1907 - father) and his son Arthur G Clark (born 1934). it is the 1907 im looking for but cannot for the life of me find anything. the only other info on marriage certificate is that they got married in chesterton. i would upload a cropped image just showing info for arthur but dont know how to do it or if it is even allowed
                I must read this again. Sorry I think I' m the one that is geting it muddled.
                Vera

Comment

sounds like he didn't know father then, maybe the Whitby one - but still not happy with month being incorrect, maybe he just disowned his father so said he didn't know.

Lily the brides relation - but Gentle not helping at all.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

again could be a possibility, there was a post earlier on in this thread that dates seemed about right - link on ancestry from 1911 census that could possibly match but lists him as grandson. so confused haha - so many possibilities

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    sounds like he didn't know father then, maybe the Whitby one - but still not happy with month being incorrect, maybe he just disowned his father so said he didn't know.

Lily the brides relation - but Gentle not helping at all.

Comment

yes that was me that posted.

There are not many Arthur George Clark on GRO, the one in red is the only one that fits the birth date on 1939 register, assume that is the one Vera posted.

One in blue has no mother maiden name, so assume no father, year fits with marriage age.

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE CLARK
                      GRO Reference: 1906 S Quarter in CHRISTCHURCH Volume 02B Page 654

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE COSH
                      GRO Reference: 1906 D Quarter in WEYMOUTH Volume 05A Page 273

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE -

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE BRADE
                      GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 287

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE PARSONS
                      GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in LYMINGTON Volume 02B Page 614

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE PERRY
                      GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in SWAFFHAM Volume 04B Page 319

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE SPINK
                      GRO Reference: 1907 J Quarter in PETERBOROUGH Volume 03B Page 202

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE SADDLETON
                      GRO Reference: 1907 S Quarter in MILTON Volume 02A Page 1022
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Well I don't know if this works, but each Arthur George Clarke - I have tried to find the nearest place in 1939 to their birth and correct quarter, clearly relying on full names, so narrows down the Arthurs.....

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE CLARK
                        GRO Reference: 1906 S Quarter in CHRISTCHURCH Volume 02B Page 654
                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61596/tna_r39_2326_2326d_002?pid=2622501&

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE COSH
                        GRO Reference: 1906 D Quarter in WEYMOUTH Volume 05A Page 273

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE -
                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61596/tna_r39_3235_3235h_011?pid=19656057

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE BRADE
                        GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 287
                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61596/tna_r39_3956_3956d_015?pid=24059217

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE PARSONS
                        GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in LYMINGTON Volume 02B Page 614

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE PERRY
                        GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in SWAFFHAM Volume 04B Page 319
                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61596/TNA_R39_6302_6302D_003?pid=37895397

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE SPINK
                        GRO Reference: 1907 J Quarter in PETERBOROUGH Volume 03B Page 202

CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE SADDLETON
                        GRO Reference: 1907 S Quarter in MILTON Volume 02A Page 1022
                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61596/TNA_R39_1790_1790J_008?pid=16818893
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

or swaffham one could be peterborough one
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Ok, how can i determine which one is my great grandfather? looking at the links that have been sent the peterborough one feels most likely to be him however I am really unsure

Comment

I apologise all, I was just looking back through info I had been given and I have a question mark by it in my notes but I vaguely remember my grandfathers sister saying something about her grandfather being called William Clark? Has anybody come across that name anywhere whilst looking for Arthur? I apologise again its a small piece of info that I missed. Again never been able to prove it to be true or not. Last thing I want is to updset anyone on here. Your help is greatly greatly appreciated!!

Comment

The Clark/Spink birth was inside marriage though, so for him not to put his father's name on his marriage cert indicates that he had washed his hands of his father.

Scenario - Mr Clark senior abandons his wife (the former Miss Spink) and children at some point, making Arthur George (1907) so bitter that he renounces his father for ever! I am toying with another possibility but too tired to follow it through tonight!

OC

Comment

Not seen a William, if he really didn't have a father, it could be a William was a stepfather, and had brought him up?

The list from GRO will be the same regardless of fathers name.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Have just come across a christening record in Necton, Norfolk - christening date 07 April 1907 - Parents William Clark and Sarah. Hmmm I wonder? found it on familysearch.org - never used site before
                                    Last edited by mateer1987; 06-05-19, 22:30.

Comment

that should be the one in Swaffham, and is a likely candidate. but dob on 1939 reg wrong, but sure that is plausible.

it is on ancestry

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61042/4033239_01019?pid=2165039
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

says dob jan 9th

here is a death record for that dob:

and on 1939 register for that dob

so can discount that one, as you have 1939 reg with rose and young arthur
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Ok, how can i determine which one is my great grandfather? looking at the links that have been sent the peterborough one feels most likely to be him however I am really unsure
                                          I think you can only go through each of the candidates and find their records, and hopefully eliminate them. so if you can link birth to the 1939 reg entry you know it isn't them.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X