No announcement yet.

Can anyone decipher the baptism record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone decipher the baptism record?

Hi, is anyone any good at deciphering old writing?
    This is a baptism record for Ellener/Ellenor House

Transcriber has the father as Abrosÿ Fouse - it definately (to me) looks different to Ellener's surname??

Thanks

Could there be Russian/Slavic roots in the family? Look here https://findwords.info/term/amvrosy

Comment

It's probably Ambrose, misspelt.

Filia Abrosij is Latin for "daughter of Abrose". The ij ending is genitive denoting possession!
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Could it be "base daughter of Ales House was baptised 23rd Feb" ?
        Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
          Could it be "base daughter of Ales House was baptised 23rd Feb" ?
          That's a different entry further down. Two girls called Ellener, one House, the other Huse!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks, what do you make of the what looks like to me different surnames though?

Comment

I don't think it is two different surnames. Both look like Houfe (House) to me. But even if there was a difference in spelling I wouldn't be that bothered just like they were not fussed about spelling in those days. I have a document where the writer has spelled his own name three different ways in the same page!

I agree with Elizabeth who says "It's probably Ambrose, misspelt.

Filia Abrosij is Latin for "daughter of Abrose". The ij ending is genitive denoting possession!"

Anne

Comment

Working...
              X