No announcement yet.

blackwatch service number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only have ancestry sub, but I seem to be finding him on the census each time - only transcriptions, none of them say he is in military, unless I have wrong man, so must be between census.

Following on from Teasie post and checking wiki page and this:
    https://www.theblackwatch.co.uk/hist...istory/empire/ it may have been named 42nd regiment and not black watch?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Can see lots of Dicksons in the Black Watch but no Alexander.
      I cant see Alexander in the 1861 so could possibly have joined up between 1851 and his marriage to Isabella Lawcock in 1865.
      However at the time of his marriage gives occupation as Sawyer (as in 1851) and residence Craigburn. No reference to the military.

Vera

Comment

sorry, I did have a gap in 1861

According to wiki:
        "Enlistments of ten or twelve years were introduced in 1847, but at the end of this prolonged period of service, most soldiers were skilled only for menial civilian occupations and immediately re-enlisted.[2] Re-enlistment was also encouraged by a bounty of several guineas. "

Excerpt of the history of black watch: https://www.theblackwatch.co.uk/hist...istory/empire/
        "Victorian era
        The 19th century saw it fighting in the Crimea (1854-56) and the Indian Mutiny (1857-59), whilst in 1881 the 73rd (Perthshire) Regiment was merged into it. From then on it was officially known as The Black Watch and was the county regiment of Fifeshire, Forfarshire and Perthshire. The regiment then fought in Egypt (1882) and in the Boer War (1899-1902)"
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

yes mine is the one that has a son James Dixon McKerrow. I have not yet established what the connection is with the Dixon family. Although there was something written by my uncle about a half brother and a connection to the old book, Douglas A dangerous castle by Sir Walter Scott.
          I did borrow the book from the library but found it quite tough to read as it was written so long ago.

Comment

This looks like him in 1851 in Craigburn, Douglas (transcript only):
            James Dickson 50 Sawyer born Douglas
            Margta Dickson 50 wife born Douglas
            Elisabeth Dickson 28 Daughter born Douglas
            Walter Dickson 22 Son born Douglas
            Alexr Mckerrow 15 Son born Douglas

1861 at 174 Cowcaddens St, Glasgow (as transcribed on Anc)
            Margt McKenow 73 b Auchinleck, Ayrshire
            Alex McKenow 42 Son Porter b Galston, Ayrshire
            Alex McKenow 25 Grandson Artist Painting b Douglas, Lanarkshire
            Jessie McKenow 9 Grandaughter b Glasgow
            Donald Mcneil 24 Lodger
            Alex Mcneil 18 Lodger

Do you have Alexanders marriage certificate? What was his occupation at marriage?
            Last edited by teasie; 19-05-19, 12:26.

Comment

yes I believe that is him, as I say I still dont know what the connection is with the Dickson Family. If Walter is a half brother maybe margaret Dickson was Margaret Mckerrow. No I dont have his marriage certificate Maybe thats something I should look into.

Comment

So where exactly did the story come from that he was in the Indian Mutiny? He's accounted for in every census, with no indication of military service to be found anywhere.

Your previous post mentioned your mum's cousin having a photograph which you assumed was your GG Grandfather. Is this the photograph from his obituary where he is wearing a medal? If so, is it the one attached? If so then its the other chap, as its from the Dundee Courier 10 October 1927

Also, If you don't have it already, this is him in 1841 (transcribed per Ancestry, Scotlands People has it as Alexander McKurrie)
                Craigburn, Douglas, Lanarkshire
                Janet Mathie 70
                James Dickson 40 Sawyer
                Margart Dickson 40
                Walter Dickson 13
                Mesander McKerrow 5 [Alexander]

McKerrow.JPG

Comment

if the 1861 is him, and looks likely, then can you be in the military for less than 10 years?
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

oops snap! Was trying to search around if you could be in military for less than 10 Years, but can't see it anywhere.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, you can

Comment

Not sure that will bring up cert

Marriage of Alexander Mckerrow and Isabella Lawcock

Parish of Douglas, County of Lanarkshire 1865

Married 28th May 1865 at Easter Toffs, Douglas, Church of Scotland

Alexander McKerrow Bachelor aged 30 Sawyer Residence Craigburn, Douglas
                        Father John McKerrow Woolen Weaver, mother Jane McKerrow m/s Sloan dec

married

Isabella Lawcock Spinster aged 42 Farmer's daughter residence Easter Toffs, Douglas
                        Father Andrew Lawcock, Farmer dec, mother Janet Lawcock m/s Lawcock dec

Witnesses Walter Dickson and James Gold

Have come across William Mckerrow's bap in 1839. Although gives mother as Jean Sloan, gives father as Alexander McKerrow. Will re check it.

William McKerrow is on the 1841 with grandparents Sloan

Vera
                        Last edited by vera2013; 19-05-19, 19:24.

Comment

I can see he is with the Dicksons in 1841 too.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                            So where exactly did the story come from that he was in the Indian Mutiny? He's accounted for in every census, with no indication of military service to be found anywhere.

Your previous post mentioned your mum's cousin having a photograph which you assumed was your GG Grandfather. Is this the photograph from his obituary where he is wearing a medal? If so, is it the one attached? If so then its the other chap, as its from the Dundee Courier 10 October 1927

Also, If you don't have it already, this is him in 1841 (transcribed per Ancestry, Scotlands People has it as Alexander McKurrie)
                            Craigburn, Douglas, Lanarkshire
                            Janet Mathie 70
                            James Dickson 40 Sawyer
                            Margart Dickson 40
                            Walter Dickson 13
                            Mesander McKerrow 5 [Alexander]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20101[/ATTACH]
                            the story comes from mums cousin who has since passed away. he was convinced alexander was in the blackwatch and indian mutiny and crimean. he didnt know what happened to his medals.i wonder if he was confused with this other one.

Comment

i wonder if he was confused with this other one.
                              It does look likely. The photo I posted was from the other chaps obituary.

Comment

Working...
                              X