blackwatch service number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackwatch service number

I was sceptical about subscribing to fmp but it has come up trumps with my 2x great grandfather's service number and confirms he was in the indian mutiny. I just looked on line to find an e-mail address for the blackwatch museum but it doesnt appear to have one. When we visited a few years ago they couldnt find anything on him but now Ihave a service number I was hoping to find a bit more information. so my question is where would the best place be to contact. We believed he was in the blackwatch but it just says 90th foot regiment so I assume that as part of the blackwatch.
    Any help or suggestions where to go next greatly appreciated

I'm pretty sure that the 90th Regiment of Foot is entirely different to the Black Watch, which I believe was the 42nd Regiment.

Comment

I would start by looking at the relevant pay lists/muster rolls to see exactly when he is shown on the strength and where they were on each list.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

The Black Watch research enquiries page

The Black Watch has played a significant part in each of these bloody and mighty conflicts. Discover the history of The Black Watch’s

Chris
        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

getting a little confused now...... been browsing the papers on fmp and found some papers mention the death of Alexander McKerrow 1927, the oldest crimean and indian mutiny veteran, he was from Perth. Didnt mention any family left behind like sometimes they do. But I have my Alexander McKerrow's death as 1909.
          They have theirs as being in 90th Light Infantry Caraoronians. I beleive mine was 90th foot regiment. Looks like 2 Alexander McKerrow fighting in the same wars. I know a few years ago somebody sent me a copy of a signature in an autograph book from a nurse and it was also and Alexander mcKerrow but was dated after the death of mine. I have a picture of his headstone but cant make out the years on it

I think I must be looking at 2 different people

Comment

Not sure if this is two different people as no SN on second one

On Forces War Records (I can e mail record if you wish)

Alexander McKerrow
            Pte SN 3914 90th Ft Perthshire Volunteers

Duty Location ALLAHABAD (E.I)

Archive ref WO 12/9221

Alexander McKerrow
            Pte 90th foot Perthshire Volunteers

Indian Mutiny

Clasp awarded for Defence of Lucknow

Vera

Comment

FMP have a record for Alexander Mckerrow Cameronians [Scottish Rifles], 26th Foot and 90th Foot. Wonder if this is changes in the Regiment' title to 90 Rgt of Ft as cant see any of those Regiments with an Alexander McKerrow attached on Forces War Records

Also

Alex McKerrow
              Sgt 90th [Perthshire Light Infantry] Rgt of Foot
              SN 3914

Duty location Edinburgh

Indexed 1871

Ref WO 12/9232

Vera

Comment

Record on Ancestry Chelsea Pensioner Records of Soldiers being examined for discharge,

Alexander McKerrow SN 3914 Sgt 90th Regiment of Foot served in total 21years 6 months of which he spent time in Malta 1 month, Crimea ??[cant be 100% sure of writing] 11 months, India 12 years 6 months. He was of very good character and had been awarded 4 badges

Alexander McKerrow aged 41
                b 1834
                Spein Hall, Dumfrice ? transcription error
                Examination 06/07/1875

Vera

Comment

mums cousin was convinced he was in the Blackwatch which is why we went to the museum. But looking at it now it looks likely there are 2 Alexander McKerrow both serving in crimean and indian mutiny.

Comment

by papers - you mean newspapers? I can see the one that died in 1927 was 95, so born 1832, I don't have sub

..it has address in the article too, did you see this one?

"The death is announced al 27, Rosecrescent, Perth, of late No. 18G03 Colour- Sergeant Alexander McKerrow, oldest surviving Crimean and Indian Mutiny veteran, of the 90th Light Infantry, Cameronians {Scottish Rifles), in his..."
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Does this record perhaps refer to a member of your family

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

George Alexander son of Alexander and Elizabeth Mary McKerrow. Alexander a Sgt in the 90th Foot LI
                      Born 11th July 1868, baptized 25th July 1868 ? Sabashoo Dagshai Bengal

God parents John Vaughan Lahee
                      Alexander McKerrow
                      Sarah Jane Lahee

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 17-05-19, 16:08.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                        by papers - you mean newspapers? I can see the one that died in 1927 was 95, so born 1832, I don't have sub

..it has address in the article too, did you see this one?

"The death is announced al 27, Rosecrescent, Perth, of late No. 18G03 Colour- Sergeant Alexander McKerrow, oldest surviving Crimean and Indian Mutiny veteran, of the 90th Light Infantry, Cameronians {Scottish Rifles), in his..."
                        yes I do mean newspapers..lol
                        mine was born 1835 but was also living in Perth.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                          Does this record perhaps refer to a member of your family

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

George Alexander son of Alexander and Elizabeth Mary McKerrow. Alexander a Sgt in the 90th Foot LI
                          Born 11th July 1868, baptized 25th July 1868 ? Sabashoo Dagshai Bengal

God parents John Vaughan Lahee
                          Alexander McKerrow
                          Sarah Jane Lahee

Vera
                          no thats definately another one then. Thanks.

Comment

strange as I have an extensive McKerrow tree but some how that one has eluded me...
                            I spent many hours in Edinburgh going through the records adding on what I could find, unless I mistook that one for mine so didnt look any further into him

Comment

what a shame that he is not yours there is a great article all about his military life on Ancestry
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

you did post a long time ago - you probably have forgotten

Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.

not sure if some of the info might help.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn thanks for that link

Gloryer I have continued to look at your Alexander. Just now found who I think is him with the Dickson family.

I have seen the dc for 1909. Informant son, middle name Dickson.

Is it possible, I wonder he used that name in his Army records. Will take another look

Vera

Comment

I just found that on ancestry, but was confused by the 'parents' names.

but you are maybe onto something there is a record here https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...31?pid=1651177 that is Alexander Dickson

Coldstream Guards Crimea War
                                    1st Battalion Coldstream Guards
                                    Regimental Number: 3159

although quite a common name!
                                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-05-19, 20:48.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

...ok ignore me - wrong lot....
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Oh that Alexander Dickson was slightly wounded in 1854, Crimea at the battle of Inkermann

1861 in London. Pte 3159 3rd Foot Guards (Scottish Fusilier)

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X