Myrtle ford mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myrtle ford mystery

Hi everyone. Myrtle May Ford born 1896 apparently went to work on Sept 23, 1922? then disappeared completely. There is an article in a Cornwall newspaper dated 15/1/1923 re an inquest, I dont have a sub so cannot read the whole story.

Have looked for a marriage and death, no luck, she does not appear to have emigrated, nothing on ScotlandsPeople, perhaps eloped to Gretna Green?! Murdered?

Difficult one this, any help would be appreciated, any other interesting details in the newspaper article?
    Thanks.
    Toby.

is this her in 1911

Roskear Crofts Camborne, Camborne, Cornwall, England

Jethro George Ford Head Married Male 40 1871 Tin Miner Camborne Cornwall
    Mary Ford Wife Married Female 40 1871 - Illogan Cornwall
    Myrtle May Ford Daughter Female 14 1897 Tin Stream Work Camborne Cornwall
    Fredrick John Ford Son Male 12 1899 School Camborne Cornwall
    Louie Ford Daughter Female 11 1900 School Camborne Cornwall
    William Ford Son Male 10 1901 School Camborne Cornwall
    Kathleen Maud Ford Daughter Female 3 1908 Camborne Cornwall

Comment

That inquest was on a body washed up on a beach. Mr Ford went to the inquest and asked to see the remains, but was quite sure the remains were NOT of his missing daughter (based on the condition of the teeth.) The coroner thought the remains belonged to a nurse who had also been missing for some time, and whose belongings had been found on a local beach.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-04-19, 00:10.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

where did you find that Janet?

Comment

A newspaper report. Nothing further about what might have happened to Myrtle came up in a search up to the end of the 1920's. Seems to have been rather a strange case - she was employed as a daily servant, left work to go home but never arrived. Lots of searches were carried out; several possible sightings of her, complained to her employer about a headache, wore a bandage and said she's received medical attention, but it transpired that this fact was untrue. Awful for her parents to never know what happened to her.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

yes must have been hard for them.

Comment

I know people could be declared legally "missing, presumed dead" if still not located after seven years. However, I don't know whether or not a death certificate (and registration of death) could be issued - I suspect not. I'm sure forum member Antony M would be able to give us information on that point.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There's some information here about procedures when people are missing and cannot be traced.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thks Val, yes, that is the family in 1911.

Comment

Thks Janet, very interesting, perhaps murdered and thrown down a old mine shaft, will have to remain a mystery.

Comment

um

This marriage?

Name: Myrtle M Ford
                      Registration Date: Jul 1929
                      Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
                      Registration district: Truro
                      Inferred County: Cornwall
                      Spouse: Harold M J Gummow
                      Volume Number: 5c
                      Page Number: 254

and she appears on the 1939 register as well as a death. Truro isn't that far from Redruth/Camborne

Last edited by Darksecretz; 30-04-19, 08:02.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Nice one Julie! Looks good.

OC

Comment

I think that one is this Myrtle MARY Ford b 1903 Julie. Father William.
                          Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

The birth for Myrtle Mary Gummow is given as 1902 on 1939 Register.
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-04-19, 09:24.
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Oh, shame!

OC

Comment

As there were newspaper articles over several weeks, I think that if the "missing" lady had eventually turned up/been found, then that would have featured in the papers. She was allegedly seen walking in woodlands, where there were lots of old mineshafts. These were searched and a local reservoir partially drained, all to no avail. No mention of any physical evidence to suggest that she may have met with foul play - one of the policemen leading the search suggested that she may have fallen into the sea and been washed miles away. There were hints about her mental state possibly being unstable, leading to her wandering around and succumbing to a mishap. And yes, there was another Myrtle Ford who also featured in the newspapers in the late 1920's.

ETA - I have a similar scenario in my tree - "16 Jan 1925 - probate Norwich granted to James Philip Guthrie of no occupation & Hannah Maria Guthrie spinster. Katherine Mary Guthrie died on or since 28 June 1924 effects £1994 - 16s - 10p." Katherine left her home in Yarmouth and went out for a walk. She had had a nervous breakdown and was never seen again.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

wow.. how unfortunate.. to have two with the same name in the same area.. blooming unlucky.

Jay,
                                that must be so horrible.... to be left 'in limbo' :(
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Also found the "other" Myrtle, looked good for a while, but alas!

Comment

Working...
                                  X