Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death on Free BMD but can't find it on Ancestry ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death on Free BMD but can't find it on Ancestry ...

... is there a way to look for a BMD on Ancestry with vol & page numbers form freddBMD or GRO?

Thanks

Sometimes some of the pages or quarters are actually missing from Ancestry. I remember people mentioning it before and Ancestry doing nothing about it. Maybe yours is one of those?
    NNW

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
      ... is there a way to look for a BMD on Ancestry with vol & page numbers form freddBMD or GRO?

Thanks
      yes! is the answer you can do that.

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Darksecretz!!

Comment

You're welcome :smilee:
          Julie

Comment

I don't use Ancestry and I don't mean to pick at anyone, but, if you've got all the BMD information you need from the GRO or FreeBMD why do you to also need look it up on Ancestry, am I missing something?

I don't want to start an argument, I'm just curious.
            Margaret

Comment

Rusty,
              To add the actual record to that particular person on my tree on Ancestry. I like to have ALL the records I can per person

Comment

Can you not download the image from FMP to your PC and then upload it to your Ancestry tree, in the same way you would add a photo?

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you Tessie, as I keep all my information on my Laptop and don't have an online tree I just quote my source and add any reference details that I need in case I need to look it up again, if I think I need a copy I can do as Jay suggested and download the image from whichever site I found it on then attach it to my tree.

Thanks for clearing up that little mystery.

Margaret.
                  Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                    Rusty,
                    To add the actual record to that particular person on my tree on Ancestry. I like to have ALL the records I can per person
                    I don't really understand this line of thinking. But maybe it's because i use FMP more than ancestry. FMP just has more records i need, but ancestry is bigger as a company so their dna and family trees are way better. I have a skeleton tree on fmp, but that's because theirs is quite clunky. I have a detailed tree on ancestry, but i won't loose anything if they go under.

99% of the time i will remember where information comes from without needing to make a note. I will make a note if it was mistrancribed or an error though.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

99% of the time i will remember where information comes from without needing to make a note. I will make a note if it was mistrancribed or an error though.
                      Do you keep a note of the source though? or explain how you arrived at that conclusion? what will happen when you are no longer here and whoever takes it on? how will they know where you got the info from?

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      I don't use Ancestry and I don't mean to pick at anyone, but, if you've got all the BMD information you need from the GRO or FreeBMD why do you to also need look it up on Ancestry, am I missing something?
                      I don't want to start an argument, I'm just curious.
                      Margaret,
                      I have several trees on Ancestry and do like to get BMD refs for all where possible, that way when searching it's just a click to add it to my tree, [instead of take screen shot upload it to a hosting site/or laptop then upload it to my tree] [[too much of a faff when I can just click and it is on my tree within ancestry]]
                      Though I suspect in the case of Clara I will either/or take a screen shot and upload it to the tree as well as check out the parish records personally and add the info that way. This then gives whoever takes on my work or whoever is interested in that line the relevant information to take their research further. She will be the exception to the rule, just infuriating that I there isn't a death ref.
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-04-19, 08:06.
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                        If you have a BMD reference from GRO/FreeBMD then looking up the same thing on Ancestry is unnecessary - but remember that they are only indexes and the information in those indexes can be interpreted in different ways, so you don't have all the BMD information available. Unless you have the certificate then you are always working by making assumptions.
                        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                          Do you keep a note of the source though? or explain how you arrived at that conclusion? what will happen when you are no longer here and whoever takes it on? how will they know where you got the info from?
                          No. Because i remember what records led me the conclusions. And where i found them. Or what i need to prove or disprove something. Very rarely do i forget where i found information.

Anyone taking it over (unlikely) will, like i did when i took grandma's research, have mountains of notes and records to go through. My sister has said she will preserve it if i have no fam, but it better be complete as she won't touch it haha

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            No. Because i remember what records led me the conclusions. And where i found them. Or what i need to prove or disprove something. Very rarely do i forget where i found information.

Anyone taking it over (unlikely) will, like i did when i took grandma's research, have mountains of notes and records to go through. My sister has said she will preserve it if i have no fam, but it better be complete as she won't touch it haha
                            Julie

Comment

i put in the info and just put the record in the details, and often the site I found it if I don't have the image.

I have found Ancestry will sometimes pop up later with the record, and then I would probably add it.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                                If you have a BMD reference from GRO/FreeBMD then looking up the same thing on Ancestry is unnecessary - but remember that they are only indexes and the information in those indexes can be interpreted in different ways, so you don't have all the BMD information available. Unless you have the certificate then you are always working by making assumptions.
                                I usually only buy certificates for direct ancestors unless I have problems trying to work out who is who, for everyone else I am happy to just use the quarter dates from the indexes particularly now that I can confirm the mothers maiden name from the GRO index or the information from the 1939 Register.
                                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                X