Ww2 RAF records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ww2 RAF records

Evening im trying to locate my grandfathers war records via National Archives records. Ive printed off the relevant paperwork for the request, but its asking me for his service number and if i dont know it to go to AIR 78/79 in order to locate his Service number. Not knowing the site i can not see or how to find AIR 78/79. If anyone knows their way around the site could you please help. TIA.

Gerald Vivian White born 1915 Heywood, Wiltshire. Joined RAF probably in Dorset as that was where he was living when he got married. I know he had the bronze Africa Star
    bronze Italy Star and the service medal and bronze Star. And was in Aden in 1946/47.

If you google air78/79 you can find a wealth of information on how to look up those two catalogues.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Does anyone have access to the site Forces-war-records.co.uk. Im struggling to find my grandfather and i know full well he was in the RAF.

Comment

I'm not good at searching on there either, but have found this you can change the search details I think

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Comment

Wouldn't they still be with the mod?

Comment

This guide provides a brief overview of Second World War records held at The National Archives. You’ll get a sense of the sorts of records we hold and links to guides with more details and advice on how to find and view specific sets of records. There is also advice on some of the related […]

info here on how to request service records
            https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

I can't see RAF records on here either:
            Search for military records for family, persons, notables and others. The premier site for military history research for genealogists, researchers, history buffs. Military source documents found here.

there are still people alive that were in WW2 would they just publish them. My dad is alive and was on navy during war, must write down his service number as I know he still remembers it.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If by chance he was a serving member of the RAF when he married, his rank and service number may be shown on his marriage certificate.

merleyone

Comment

Im still having very little success, its driving me nuts lol knowing hd was definayely in the RAF and having in my pocession his medals

Comment

why dont you send for them? dont need his service number, might be a long wait but well worth it.

Comment

is this where you got to:
                    1. Why use this guide? Use this guide for advice on how to find records of airmen and officers of the Royal Air Force (RAF). These are predominantly records of service prior to 1939. RAF service records created since the beginning of the Second World War remain in the custody of the Ministry of Defence […]

it says you can search for Airmen (not officers) here:
                    The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

then it takes you to the link from gov uk site that I sent before I think.

Is this what you are after?
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-04-19, 16:51.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Gerald Vivian White - 3140577

Its image 170 here (scroll down to where it says 'preview an image of this record): https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C15625906

Comment

clever you teasie, I'm useless on that site.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          clever you teasie, I'm useless on that site.
                          It's not the easiest, is it? Actually I just looked again and there's another number for him 1100556 noted as 'Militia' whereas the other one said NSA, which I assume to be National Service Act, although I'm quite possibly entirely wrong on that! So were there were two men with the same name or one man with two different numbers?

Its perfectly possible to apply to the MoD for someone's records without their service number. My dad was in the RAF and we obtained his with no problem, and it only took about 3 weeks in total.

Comment

I have got several peoples Army records from the MOD, and your right you dont need their service number.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your help its made a big difference to my research

Comment

hope that the records come quickly.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                X