Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP Trees

might be useful

We’re about to implement a pretty exciting change and thought you should know in advance.

From 1 July, the deceased ancestors in everyone’s trees will become shareable. Which means other members may receive hints about the dead ancestors in your tree. They’ll only be shared between members who have common ancestry – likely, a distant relative. Making family-tree building a more conducive, collaborative experience.

Your privacy is of the utmost importance... Therefore, any information on you or your living relatives will remain private. Equally, no-one else will be able to edit your ancestors’ details or see your tree – just you. So you’ll remain completely in control.

This change is totally optional – if you don't want your ancestors to be shared, just follow the instructions in our FAQs before 1 July. We’ll send you a friendly reminder before that day, just in case.

In the meantime, feel free to have a look at our updated privacy policy.

Best regards,

Wonder if it's going to work a bit like Genes Reunited, I used to like their site and the way you got 'Hot Matches' every so often.
    Margaret

Comment

I hardly ever get any from GR now, think maybe 2 a year, be great if FMP finds any.

Comment

Finding the answer in the FAQ's isn't as simple as it should be. The only thing I found was this:

"To ensure the content remains private, go to the “Tree settings” option in your Family Tree and un-tick the "Public tree” box"

Except there doesn't seem to be a box that says 'Public Tree'. There's one that says 'Share Deceased Ancestors' which seems to be automatically ticked (which I have now un-ticked) - is this it?

I've been burned by 'name gatherers' on the other well known site, so u
        nless how to NOT share is made clearer then I'll be deleting my tree altogether.

Comment

I haven't had an email about this July amendment to their T&S's and by rights surely we should have done???

...and yes you have unticked the right box Val. It certainly is not easy to find that information. With Ancestry you are given the option to make your tree private or not as soon as you upload a new tree.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-04-19, 22:01.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

so basically it is the same as ancestry now - you just need to choose whether you want it private or not. I don't have problems sharing my tree, but personally I would expect it to be off by default, and would have to turn it on.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

just tried importing a updated gedcom into FMP took ages , it got to over 8000 people, then said there had been a problem importing it, and to ask for help.

Comment

The only issue i have with fmp trees, asides from them being quite clunky and visually outdated, is i can't seem to merge individuals. I don'nt know how it happened, but i doubled up on a few people and merging them would be easiest.

Comment

I personally think it is going to be much more like Ancestry, where you keep getting those hints and leaves, many of which have nothing to do with your ancestors!

GR has not done Hot Matches or anything like that for several years ......... they barely keep the site maintained.

But, again, I personally think that FMP might also make this new development available over there .......... in which case, anyone who has a tree on there should watch out.

I still have my small tree on GR, and another slightly larger one on Ancestry, but have never put one on FMP. I still have the vast majority of my tree not on any public site.
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I have only just taken out a subscription with fmp and am building a tree on there but decided to keep it small so only adding on siblings and not partners and their off spring like I have on some other trees I use a they have tended to get to far and wide
                    Last edited by gloryer; 01-05-19, 10:07.

Comment

I put a tree on FMP a few days ago and today got an excited e-mail from them saying that they had found a tree very similar to mine and giving me the matching names, it was indeed almost an exact copy of my tree, but I was only given the chance to merge their tree details into my tree nothing to say who this tree belonged to or giving me the chance to contact anyone.

I asked FMP about contacting the other party and was told that it wasn't possible at the moment but hopefully that was something that will be implemented in the future. This leaves me to think that there will be an awful lot of copying going on without much thought as to if the information is correct or not.

I thought that one of the purposes of finding a matching tree was to collude with the other person to swap details that perhaps aren't on the tree thereby finding remote cousins and (as I know that some of you have done with GR) make friends through the message boards even though there isn't a family connection.

I'm left feeling a bit disgruntled that there is potentially another member of the family out there that I have no way of contacting and swapping family stories with.

Anyone else with a tree on FMP feel like this?
                      Margaret

Comment

I had a similar experience, it does seem a pointless system at the moment
                        My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                          I had a similar experience, it does seem a pointless system at the moment
                          Glad that I'm not the only one.
                          Margaret

Comment

Their family tree program leaves a lot to be desired. Quite a clunky system. I suppose they don't want to be the same as other brands, so playing around behind the scenes more.

Comment

Its rubbish! I love FMP for searching and it has loads of the PR images I need but the tree and hint system is dire. I gave up on the tiny tree I started on there ages ago. Then I started getting email 'hints'. Considering I use the site almost every day they were lagging way behind stuff I had been looking at. Sending me emails saying, you'll want to look at this one. Well, surprise, i already had, several days ago ... keep up FMP!! I turned off email hints in my settings.
                              Anne

Comment

I tried the tree and don't like it at all, so have up. Just use for searching now
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                                X