which will do i order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which will do i order?

i have found the will of an ancestor who died in 1836 in the wills and probate calendar (post 1850's) on ancestry. there are two entries:

1879 "personal estate under 600 pounds. resworn sep 1879 under 1,000 pounds. revoked by registrar's order 24 apr 1880. a will dated 12 nov 1835 proved at the principal registry may 1880".

1880 "personal estate under 1,000 pounds. the administration granted at the principal registry aug 1879 having been revoked".

which will do i order? will i get the whole file if i order one? the only reason i can think for the will taking so long to probate is the eldest son was a lawyer who died in 1872, and his wife inherited his estate for her lifetime, dying in 1877. the family had a few squabbles about money and inheritance during the 1820's. the lady who proved the will is the last known surviving child.

You may have to get both, because the 1880 one is an admon and won't actually give you very much information.

OC

Comment

It's possible that when the will went to probate it was found to be defective or the executor(s) had died, so the estate had to be be administered as if there was no will.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
      X