New printer advice please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New printer advice please?

I would welcome some suggestions for a good new printer please. Our Cannon printer's heads have worn out and we want to replace it. Hubby keeps looking at HP but I once had problems with a lovely looking small HP that I had and we also once paid a lot for an HP computer which the screen only lasted for the life of the guarantee. Finally, looking at the problems Val is having with hers I want to avoid the HP but need to convince hubby.

So any suggestions please for a good, reliable printer that will print on printable CD and with a built in scanner?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I don’t know a particular model to recommend Chrissie but I would pick an Epson. I have an old RX640 that is still going strong after all these years. It does everything you have on your list. The only thing it doesn’t have is WiFi. New versions will be WiFi though. I am holding on to the RX640 though because it also had a photo negatives/slides carrier in the scanner lid which newer models don’t have. I was sadly disappointed to learn from Epson that none of their updated WiFi models have this carrier.

Comment

I'd recommend Epson too

Comment

We've only ever had Epsons and they've done well BUT we don't go for expensive ones so, when they eventually stop working we get another. I know, I know, it bad news for the environment and I'm very sorry about that but I need to save my own sanity and the temper tantrums when the printer stops need to be taken into account!!!! On average they have each lasted more than 5 years, so not too bad.
        Anne

Comment

Mine is still soldiering on at 13 years. Now don’t go and jinx it y’all LOL

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. We ended up at Curry's/PC World and asked which models had the facility to print on to a CD and we bought the only model they could find that had it (apparently not many do these days). Guess what it is....the EPSON XP-900 I was so relieved that it wasn't an HP one.

p.s. It took hubby ages to set it up though
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-04-19, 08:32.

Comment

CD players are becoming less popular too, a lot of laptops no longer have them.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

We have an HP Envy, never had any issues with it..

I wish you had mentioned this to me earlier, we have a PrintScanCopy printer upstairs doing nothing [office model] all it needs is ink and it's good to go.

trouble is nowadays that it often costs more in ink than it does to buy a new printer.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I know Carolyn but hubby makes copies of plays/music etc for friends and they can still play them.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    We have an HP Envy, never had any issues with it..

I wish you had mentioned this to me earlier, we have a PrintScanCopy printer upstairs doing nothing [office model] all it needs is ink and it's good to go.

trouble is nowadays that it often costs more in ink than it does to buy a new printer.
                    That's a kind thought Julie

Comment

Gee, I have had HP stuff since the 50286 days and never had the slightest problem with any of them.
                      Probably comes from the fact that all our lab analysis gear was made by them and they were thought as being the Rolls Royce of electronics. The only reason I have got rid of them is to update.
                      However, because I now do very little printing I have gravitated to an Epson XP6000 ink jet printer which does all I need. El cheapo too, only cost 49 dollars Aust. So when and if it wears out it gets the flick.
                      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        That's a kind thought Julie
                        that's ok x
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                        X