Windows Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Updates

Every now and then I get a box pop up saying updates available ,install now or remind me later, I always click on remind me later.
    But when I want to install them, and I go to updates, it always says I am up to date?

It might install them later when you shut down and switch on again? Sneaky!
    Anne

Comment

oh really ? but only got the same message about half an hour ago? its really odd

Comment

is this win 10?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

yes it is

Comment

Yes it will do that. If you choose shut down and you get update and shut down or update and restart options, that is another way of them telling you an update is due. If you choose the update/shut down option it will take a wee bit extra time to shut down and when you switch on again, it finishes the update process. Your “remind me later” option has the same effect. It will download the update in the background ready to install when you next switch on.

Comment

hi I sort of see that ,but after I said to remind me later and I shut down, when I logged on today nothing updated.

Comment

Have you got it set to have a preferred time to update? I think then it will stick to that schedule if you are still using the pc at the time and it will update by itself in the background. Not all updates need a restart so you might not notice it has done one. You can type “updates” in your control panel and see a history of what and when your updates have been.
                I think that if you have shut down your pc a couple of times before the scheduled update time then it will go ahead and start them and when you attempt to shut down again you get the options I described earlier. It will not give in and will get you one way or the other LOL The only way these days to put off updates permanently/pick certain ones you don’t want is to have Windows 10 Professional.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 22-04-19, 17:07.

Comment

Thanks Galloway I did check and the last one was almost 2 weeks ago? next time it asks I shall say yes.;)

Comment

is this where you checked? and can see the history?

win update.JPG
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I have just discovered that if you scroll down the list of view update history, there are more categories and your update is probably there, never really looked before, click on

click on the arrow to un-expand the list and check the others.

win update.JPG
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Now dont laugh but, I just realised its not windows updates but Dell, and it seems a lot of people are moaning about it, so I have uninstalled the Dell Support programme that should do it.
                        I said dont laugh

Comment

hee hee mystery solved
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

ROF - not laughing, honest... ;)
                            Last edited by GallowayLass; 24-04-19, 00:59.

Comment

Know who my friends are

Comment

well it popped up again last night, said an update was available ,so clicked on to install it, looked like it was doing so, said successful, but when I looked the last date it had an update was March, yet there were no new updates showing as outstanding, really weird.

Comment

is this windows or dell updates? I am now confused
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Dell, its really odd ,as the help thing said to uninstall Dell Support, and it would not happen again but it has.

Comment

Working...
                                    X