Reason for Yorkshire migration to Lancashire - 1880s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
    I was interested to read that your family were cotton mill workers both in Yorkshire and Lancashire. In my experience the Yorkshire mills were mainly woollen mills with some linen, whereas the Lancashire ones were mostly cotton. Might be worth investigating that line if they really were cotton mill workers in Yorkshire because I think that would narrow down which mill it might have been.
    Anne
    That's what I was wondering about! Did cotton mills pay more than wool or linen ones? Or was there any downturn in wool/linen manufacturing in the 1880s that might have encouraged them to make the move?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
      I've always assumed that weaving and spinning was something of a "transferable" occupation, and that they moved to where the money was.
      Yes, that's what I'm wondering. Did cotton pay more than wool or linen, or was there a downturn in wool/linen in the 1880s? Or was cotton simply a bigger industry and therefore offered more mills (and more jobs) to choose from?

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        also a wiki page when some of the mills opened:

I am always disappointed that I never know where my family worked, I know what they did, and where they lived, and that they were employed and not an employer - but not where.
        Thanks, Carolyn! I've seen that list before and the mill my ancestor worked for is indeed on there (it's the Robinson Street Mill owned by Hulmes). I've traced most of the Lancashire side of things - it's just Yorkshire where I need to do some more digging ;)

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          a nice little history on this site re Ashton

I hadn't realised that there was a shortage of cotton due to American civil war. I had wondered if the coming of the ship canal was a factor, but this was much later.
          I was reading about this recently. Despite Manchester's reliance on American cotton (which was grown by slaves), many Mancunians (including cotton workers) were active in the abolition movement. One of the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society's members-only documents is a transcript of an 1807 petition for the abolition of the slave trade. It has thousands of signatures - the Word doc is 71 pages long!

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
            just curious if it had anything to do with the Ashton Canal ? Huddersfield Canal becomes Ashton Canal - only 6 miles long but maybe a Mill owner along the Huddersfield Canal built a mill on Ashton Canal to save transport costs ???
            That's a really interesting idea, Garstonite! The last known address I have for my subject is in Northgate, Elland, about 5 miles from start of the Huddersfield Canal, but the mill they got a job with in Lancashire was on the Ashton Canal. I'll look into this further

Comment

Working...
            X