Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caroline morton

caroline morton

can i get help tracing caroline morton please? here is what i know:

caroline morton

b.1820 soho, ch.1826 st anne soho, london dau of stephen morton, shoe maker and anne evans. the next record i have of caroline is the deaths of her parents at 56 monmouth st, st giles westminster in jun 1844. she is the informant, living with them.

i have found this 1851 census:

https://www.ancestry.com.au/interact...&usePUBJs=true

chelsea, london at ?scaford terrace
    caroline morton- mar, 30 b.1821 soho middlesex. nurse.
    thomas e. morton- son. 7, b.1844 st giles middlsex.
    mary morton- dau. 1, b.1850 chelsea middlsex.
    william dacastro- nurse child. 3 mo, b.1851 st georges middlsex.

this is caroline as i got the birth for thomas edward morton on 24 mar 1844 at 56 monmouth st, st giles in the fields, westminster. no father. mother: caroline morton of birth address.

i found a baptism for thomas on 14 jul 1844, of 56 monmouth st at st giles in the fields. parents: edward and caroline morton, cabinet maker.

https://www.ancestry.com.au/interact...nSearchResults

i thought it interesting she lied to the priest about the father, but was honest to the registrar lol
    i can't spot a marriage, so i think she's lying on the 1851.
    i can't find a birth for mary in chelsea, and can't spot the family after 1851 in chelsea. can anyone find them?

Stephen and Ann were living 56 Monmouth Street on the 1841 census but not Caroline. Will keep looking.
    Kat

My avatar is my Grandmother - Ida Lock 1897-1988

I can only see a possible for Thomas Edward in Ontario. He marries in 1872 in Ontario to Kate Ann Br?ton. He is a Painter. Gives father as Frederick, mother Caroline. Later census 1901 with wife Kate has him arriving 1855. Thomas E dies a Widower 1910.

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 18-04-19 at 18:51.

I've tried all I can think of, cannot even find that Mary's Birth

Val

????????????

another child. No further information on the image, but it could be why she is not on the 1841 Census with her parents.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...off=&ml_rpos=7

Emma Morton Baptism Born: 20 May 1841 Baptised 4th Jun 1841
    St Leonard, Shoreditch, Hackney, England
    Mother: Caroline Morton
    Illegitimate

???? Emma died December quarter 1841, registered Shoreditch District
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 19-04-19 at 07:09. Reason: bapt date amended
    St Mary's Church, Bruera, Cheshire. This part of the church dates back to Norman times.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

For information ......

the 1841 Census was taken on the night on 6 June 1841

Caroline Morton, servant, age 20 and Emma Morton age 3 weeks are on the 1841 Census, in the Shoreditch Workhouse .......... caroline probably went in to the hospital section to have Emma

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...off=&ml_rpos=2
    St Mary's Church, Bruera, Cheshire. This part of the church dates back to Norman times.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Caroline and Emma entered the workhouse on 20 May 1841 and were discharged on 10 June 1841.

Caroline is shown as age 24, b. ca 1817 on these records

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...off=&ml_rpos=3

sorry ....... just noticed I missed out the date of Emma's baptism form the previous post, and it's too late to edit that post.

Here's the corrected version

Emma Morton Baptism Born: 20 May 1841 Baptised 4 Jun 1841
    St Leonard, Shoreditch, Hackney, England
    Mother: Caroline Morton
    Illegitimate

English Select Births does say Emma was baptised in the Shoreditch Workhouse

[bapt date amended on previous post for you]
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 19-04-19 at 07:11. Reason: bapt date

Thank you for the help. I have wondered if caroline had emma in shoreditch. But i forgot about that when finding the rest of this.

Would emma's birth certificate record caroline's address? As she would be born at the workhouse and i assume the informant would be the master?

I had seen that hint for thomas too, and am unsure about it. Not much info on the marriage.