Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing Beaumont

Hello there,

I've been trying for years to get over my brick wall, without success. I thought I´d try from a different angle. Mr John Beaumont born 1775 in England, possibly Yorkshire. Went to work in Haddington, Scotland as a gardener. He was there in the 1841 census, I can only find one child, George Beaumont born 1818. I cannot find any trace of a marriage, and no mother was on the death certificate of son George. John Beaumont died a pauper in Haddington in 1845.
    I was wondering if there is anyone out there who are researching the Beaumont family, and perhaps found a relative who moved to Scotland.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this, any help would be welcome.

the child you have found, where were they born? when did they die?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

wrong....
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-04-19, 16:08.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

is this them in 1851
        1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census

3, East Richmond Street, St Cuthbert's, Barony of Canongate, Midlothian, Scotland

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
        George Beaumont Head Married Male 31 1820 Slater Haddingtonshire (East Lothian), Scotland
        Elizabeth Beaumont Wife Married Female 30 1821 Haddingtonshire (East Lothian), Scotland
        George Beaumont Son - Male 11 1840 Scholar Haddingtonshire (East Lothian), Scotland
        Helen Beaumont Daughter Female 7 1844 Scholar Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
        John Beaumont Son Male 1 1850 Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
        Mary Paterson Lodger Female 3 1848 Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

Comment

ScotlandsPeople_OPR709_000_0080_0013Z.pdf
          found this marriage may be them
          John Beumont spelt slightly differently
          Marrying a Margaret Murray 21 Apr 1822 Haddington

Comment

this one looks interesting - no images for Scotland on Ancestry - I hadn't realised - says he is son in law
            Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

I was thinking that he died young as "no mother on death cert" so this is probably a complete red herring, and born in England
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-04-19, 17:02.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]20085[/ATTACH]
              found this marriage may be them
              John Beumont spelt slightly differently
              Marrying a Margaret Murray 21 Apr 1822 Haddington
              Looking at the record, it is notable that a Stewart BEAUMONT [BEUMONT] is a cautioner for the marriage [i.e. providing surety in case the marriage did no go ahead] - poss. brother?

Comment

An interesting baptism:

Name Margaret Murray Beaumont
                Gender Female
                Christening Date 12 Jan 1834
                Christening Place , HADDINGTON, EAST LOTHIAN, SCOTLAND
                Birth Date 03 Dec 1833
                Father's Name James Beaumont
                Mother's Name Janet Goodale

But perhaps a different family

Comment

There is more information here:

Which is the poster's previous thread (note to poster: it is helpful to place all you know in your post, including previous research requests, as it means those who want to help you can avoid wasted effort!)

Comment

oh how frustrating, but I've got to confess ,I have posted a thread forgetting I had posted it some time ago.
                    And I used 6 of my Scotlands People credits:(
                    Last edited by Guest; 14-04-19, 19:16.

Comment

I am a bit confused reading the thread on Roots chat if the mother is known or the one mentioned has been dismissed and not his wife at all.

there seems to be spelling Beamont too
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

I'm confused too

Comment

from rootschat: "I don´t have a lot of info about the Beaumonts unfortunately. I am trying to go back to find out more about them. I know that John had a son, George b: 1818 in Haddingtonshire. He married Elizabeth Marr in 1837. They moved from Edinburgh to Glasgow in 1853 after she was released from a prison sentence for culpable homicide. They had 8 children, only two survived and one of them was my G Grandfather John b: 1850 d:1916. George his father died in 1858, and there was no mother´s name on the death certificate. Their only daughter Eleanor b:1842 did live into adulthood and was married to a James Scott who was a pawnbroker. She died young though. So I really don´t have much to go on. This is one branch of my family tree that has given me the most work, and the least info.
                          Hope there is someone out there looking for the same family."

....so wife mentioned is Georges wife so John wife still unknown
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-04-19, 22:08.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

there are several marriages in York, why do you think he maybe from Yorkshire? and could any of them be the one?

2 likley are to Dorothy armitage and sarah goodland
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-04-19, 09:07.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Please provide the 1841 and other census details for us to see.

I can find no baptism details for George in Scotland but there are possibilities in Yorkshire and elsewhere.

Have you investigated this marriage?:

JOHN BEAUMONT
                              HENRIETTA NEILLINGS
                              13/08/1837
                              709/80 138
                              Haddington

This might be a second marriage. The earlier Haddington marriage does not fit with George's birth but could, nevertheless, be a valid one for John [making it a 3rd marriage possibility assuming he did marry before the birth of George].

Given the lack of suitable evidence in Haddington before c.1819 was John married and fathered George in Yorkshire then went to Haddington at a later date?
                              Last edited by Bertie; 15-04-19, 09:19.

Comment

I think this must be the one that is meant -
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  I think this must be the one that is meant -
                                  https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...off=&ml_rpos=4
                                  Thanks Chrissie but I cannot see it [no current sub]!

I can see George in 1851 in Edinburgh stating he was born Haddingtonshire. However, per above posts, if he was born in Yorkshire and moved to Haddington while young he may have believed he was born in Scotland [it's not that unusual in my experience]
                                  Last edited by Bertie; 15-04-19, 10:00.

Comment

Name: John Beamont
                                    Estimated birth year: abt 1775
                                    Where born: England
                                    Civil Parish: Haddington
                                    County: East Lothian
                                    Address: Market Street
                                    Parish Number: 709
                                    Household Members:
                                    Name Age
                                    John Beamont 66
                                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

John Beaumont died a pauper in Haddington in 1845

Where did you find this information please? I can't find it on Scotland's People using various options i.e. surname fuzzy, all churches etc.

p.s. I can't find the birth for George in Haddington either.
                                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-04-19, 10:37.
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                        John Beaumont died a pauper in Haddington in 1845

Where did you find this information please? I can't find it on Scotland's People using various options i.e. surname fuzzy, all churches etc.

p.s. I can't find the birth for George in Haddington either.
                                        Re. John's death - as you know civil registration did not occur in Scotland until 1855, and in many parishes in Scotland the earlier burial / mortcloth records do not exist or are extremely patchy: Haddington is such a parish: all in all there is no official burial record for him. Nor can I find any newspaper article for him. I imagine the poster must have some pretty specific and accurate information regarding this

Re. George see my post #15 - I think it likely he was born inn England as there are none in Scotland

Comment

Working...
                                        X