No announcement yet.

One last attempt to find a marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fmp has them for free, and their transcripts are better. Also i've found a missing child or two in my own family by trawling the known parish register. Found one because the page was damaged and the first half of the surname was gone, but mother had an unusual surname, so proved the entry.

Comment

I haven't been following your thread but regarding your finding in post #40 - you can search Irish Catholic baptisms and marriages for free on findmypast
      I found a possible sibling and a possible marriage for parents. Do the witnesses and godparents' names mean anything to you?

Baptisms 1830 + or - 5 years - look at the images for the two baptisms with mother Cate/Cathe

With Margaret 1825 mother's maiden name is Quin. Not as clear cut for John but again it could be Quin rather than Dunn.
      Then this 1825 marriage:

That's with no variants on surname spelling - more possibilities might come up if you factor that in...

Christine
      Last edited by Karamazov; 22-04-19, 11:28.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks Kyle and Christine.
        I'm losing the plot with this lot - I looked on FMP last week and after your help today, I have just gone back over my searches and see that I had already viewed the John McDonough & Catherine Quinn marriage, and saved it and the two bps in my "McDonough possibles" file!!
        Names of witnesses/godparents mean nothing to me, but then they wouldn't as I've never been able to positively confirm anything pre 1861 census. (Quin & Usher are quite common Irish names and they too feature in the same RC Northumberland PR as the McDonough children.) I did look at earlier Rahoon land holding records at the same time, and discovered that there were indeed McDonoughs in the parish, but I wasn't able to join up any dots.
        I think it was the John McDonough & Catherine DUNN transcription which got me all excited - there was the possibility of one of Catherine's extended family having married her son. If the transcription is duff, then no wonder I couldn't find a marriage or any baptisms!
        Thanks again for reminding me about Irish records on FMP and refocusing me on Quin.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

A slight diversion. Durham Records Online are expanding their coverage of St Mary's RC Church, Sunderland, which should help me with one line of my family where a marriage occurred just before RC marriages were recognised by the civil authorities.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hope you have more success than I've had with my search for RC marriage records, UJ ! :D

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              although the names are wrong too so maybe very unlikely, although another branch of the family?

names Jay posted are: Catherine Dunn (Mrs Patrick Hogan) and Julia Dunn (Mrs Michael McDonough.)
              oh gawd help me! SORRY.. to have got things in a muddle!
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

No worries Julie This lot really have me teetering on the edge

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                  X