No announcement yet.

Fold 3 on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been offered in hints (but not able to see them) to things such as detailed Naval records and other items, which I'm fairly sure would be available at TNA of you were able to get there. Bit expensive to go from here of course so a sub to Fold3 might be more cost effective if I really needed them.
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I can't decide if Ancestry should have all records, where do fold3 come into it for UK records I am not sure - Vera do you know? Do you have access to fold 3 as a seperate sub?

Carolyn

Cant be certain but think that if Service Records exist they will be on Ancestry, FMP and Fold 3. Fold3 have additional records not found on Ancestry, hence the sometime link.

I have a sub for Fold3. Having first accessed their records via free trial, I was offered a year's sub for £30 which I took up as I had just received a good Ancestry discount.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
        I have been offered in hints (but not able to see them) to things such as detailed Naval records and other items, which I'm fairly sure would be available at TNA of you were able to get there. Bit expensive to go from here of course so a sub to Fold3 might be more cost effective if I really needed them.
        Anne
        Anne

I did get what I thought was a good deal at the time. Maybe still available.

Let me know if you want a look up meantime

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
          Carolyn

Cant be certain but think that if Service Records exist they will be on Ancestry, FMP and Fold 3. Fold3 have additional records not found on Ancestry, hence the sometime link.

I have a sub for Fold3. Having first accessed their records via free trial, I was offered a year's sub for £30 which I took up as I had just received a good Ancestry discount.

Vera
          £30 sounds good, I don't think I have had much on there as a hint, but maybe I should see i there are more things on there that I need
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Carolyn/Anne Just checked Fold3 account. Showing automatic renewal 2020 as Ancestry member 49.50 dollars ie £38

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 14-04-19, 14:46.

Comment

I have not really thought about the records I would need to get a 'full set'. My grandads brother who died in action I have
              Medal roll
              Service record
              soldiers effects

for my grandad I only have William Arthur Hicks
              Medal roll
              - so must be missing service record, he was also injured and lost his foot, so guess that must be recorded.

Reading through the notes it did also some of the records used nicknames and short names, so worth searching for the name they were known as too.
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-04-19, 15:51.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Hello Vera,Carolyn and Anne
                Very interesting reading your replies to this thread . My friend in the US seems to think there may be more documents on fold 3 than there are on Ancestry . However in the case of my 2 grandads there is nothing other than their medals card so I thinking Fold 3 might not have anything either? What I have found on Ancestry is a pensions I think record for Frank Baileys brother Harold . They must have signed up together as Frank is 2870 7th Cheshires then 290808 and Harold is 2871 7th Cheshires then 290809. They were both at Gallipoli and Harold got a gun shot wound which is mentioned in his record . I'm pretty sure Frank was wounded too as we have a photo of him in uniform and he has a wound stripe on his arm . I was hoping to find his record and get more detail . My other grandad William Beddows KSLI was in the Dardanelles , I have his pay book and he is paid in drachmas and then roubles . I would love to find out about his service record . I know my mum told me he was very ill in the war with malaria and dysentery and he never spoke about the war except to say that he was so ill he thought he would die .
                I'm hoping maybe to get a look at Fold 3 if Find my past do one of their free weekends .

Liz
                my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

I have just had another look for my grandads records and can't see them. If 60% was lost guess they were in that lot. But I did feel if they were filed alphabetically then if the names were there around them they should be there. There must have been a whole filing cabinet, not odd documents!
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    Carolyn/Anne Just checked Fold3 account. Showing automatic renewal 2020 as Ancestry member 49.50 dollars ie £38

Vera
                    Thanks for that Vera, and thanks for your offer. I don't need anything just now but I might come back to you if I get a helpful looking hint.
                    Anne

Comment

I found more records in my grandfather's file when they came out on FMP than were in the file on Ancestry .......... including an exchange of letters from him to the powers-that-be asking for early release because he was at home on leave "for financial matters", supported by a letter from his pre-war employer stating that grandfather would be welcomed back.

Those letters were written in January 1919, just after grandfather had arrived back in the UK from "Mesopotamia", ie modern-day Iraq.

I keep double-checking both sites to see if any more little bits appear.
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                      X