The National Archives - TNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: The National Archives - TNA

If anyone has space in their timetable on a visit to TNA, I'd be grateful if you cold help our church & museum in getting more detail about a person buried in our graveyard:
    Albert André François JULLION, who I have found was b 15 Nov 1909 in Calais, and died 12 Jan 1962 Willesden General Hospital.
    He's buried in our churchyard and, after a family member raised a technical query about graveyard rules, I was intrigued and started to research his name.
    I found some theatre references in the British Newspaper Archive (including some acting) - one of which (Worthing Gazette of 24 Sep 1947) suggests that he was with the French Resistance, during WW2. The latter reference is in connection with him having designed the tapestries used in the film “Jassy", starring Margaret Lockwood. His name appears in IMDb as a scenery designer for a number of significant films, with Big Names.
    Our National Archives have a couple of records on him, one of which [TNA HO 405/25261 - the application papers, which probably have much more detail] has an explcitly restricted opening date of 1 Jan 2058 (so I doubt that we'd get access to that), but his naturalisation cert [HO 334/412/48859] seems to be available, but just not digitised yet:
    Naturalisation Certificate: Albert Andre Francois Jullion. From France. Resident in London. Certificate BNA48859 issued 26 November 1957.
    We're just trying to get all our graveyard information up-to-date, especially with regard to honouring those who fought in the two world wars. If anyone can help us by getting us an image of that extra documentation, I'd be very grateful.

I've also got myself an account with the French National Archives, to see if they have anything about this interesting gentleman.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

If someone is planning to head in that direction, I have now found another document of which I should like a copy... This might end up proving to be a store of info on what I want, should I evere get around to visiting there, again, myself!
    These three documents: HO 396/48/358; HO 405/29260; HO 334/194/34493
    They related to Barbara KORNICKER (? KORNICKA), who later changed her surname to KINGSTON.

~~~~
    The French Archives didn't come up with anything about my previous enquiry-name.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

In relation to A A F JULLION and his natiuralisation record... I've just had another look at the Discovery Catalogue entry. On this basis of this info, I really don't think that I stand much chance of anyone getting to see it!
      Closed For 100 years
      Contains sensitive personal information which would substantially distress or endanger a living person or his or her descendants

Comment

And it turns out that there is a similar issue with the naturalisation of Barbara KORNICKER:
        Closed For 100 years
        Contains sensitive personal information which would substantially distress or endanger a living person or his or her descendants
        That puts the JULLION opening date as 2058 and this opening date as 2048. It's unlikely that I'll be around for either!

Comment

Given that your research is bona fide project for people buried in your churchyard who had war service, they might cut you some slack. You probably won’t get hands on but they might give you ancestral details and a sanitised precis of what happened to them / what they did.
          It’s worth a try especially if you could get the support of your MP and the organisation that takes care of the archives of the Resistance - assuming that there is such a thing? Is there a French equivalent of the CWGC?

Comment

Thank you, Galloway Lass. That's certainly a thought.
            It won't wash for Barbara KORNICKER – that's personal research into someone who came over on the Kindertransport (about whose ancestry I'm rather chuffed to say I have found out quite a lot!). It's connected with a descendant but one who doesn't (yet, anyway) want to know about that bit of their tree; I'm collating info because I have the expertise and it might be wanted/needed one day, and then it will be to hand and they won't need to start from scratch.
            BUT, for Albert André François JULLION, it is, as you say, another matter... probably. I haven't found anything that deals with the French Resistance, other than the French National Archives – and that didn't throw up anything. But perhaps I can try a workaround, as you say.
            Our M.P.... Hmm... Oliver Dowden...

Comment

That's just weird! I've just looked at the TNA page for Albert André François JULLION and there's no mention of the record being closed: "
              Open Document, Open Description
              "

Comment

Looked again – I was looking under a different reference. I suspect that the closed file is the one that would have useful and interesting info, because it's the application. The actual naturalization doc will be pretty neutral, I imagine, and that's the one that's open.

Comment

Working...
                X