No mothers maiden name on Birth Reg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No mothers maiden name on Birth Reg

Three siblings births on the GRO with no Mothers Maiden name mentioned, what would the reason be?

I sent for one like that two weeks ago. There was no father's name, even though the person who registered the birth,(a person living in the same house) stated that the mother was a widow.
    Fran

Comment

I have always understood it to mean that no father's name was given. I assume the mother was usually unmarried and the father wouldn't accompany her to the register office?
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for replies

Comment

So the fathers name was on the birth certificate, but not the mothers? But you know who the mother is?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I usually take it to mean that the birth was illegitimate

HOWEVER, there could be another reason in a very few cases ...........

I have a couple who married but both had the same surname (2nd or 3rd cousins) ......... the GRO Index shows one of the births without a mmn

I checked some records ......... parish register shows marriage, that child was theirs, born after marriage, parish register shows baptism. I didn't buy the birth certificate because it was a sibling of my ancestor.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

It normally means there is only one surname on the certificate and that is the surname of the mother, not the father. illegitimate in other words. The certificate will have a blank space for the father's details.

OC

Comment

The GRO do usually put a mmn if the parent's surnames are the same. I have children of cousins with the same surname and they are indexed properly on the GRO site with mmn.
                Anne

Comment

Carolyn this is from the GRO I've not got the certs yet,not much point if it does not say the Fathers name.
                  Thanks everybody

Comment

On the on-line GRO index the maiden name is taken from any name written after "formerly" in the mother's name column, in the majority of cases a blank will indicate a register entry with no father named, but not always (e.g. a birth registered by an unmarried couple together may show the same), and the only way to be sure is to see a copy of the entry by getting a certificate.
                    Last edited by AntonyM; 06-04-19, 15:24.
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      Carolyn this is from the GRO I've not got the certs yet,not much point if it does not say the Fathers name.
                      Thanks everybody
                      ahh right, I see, sorry, I know a few had pointed out that this normally meant mothers name on here, thought it was new news to me

You kind of think if there were 3 children that there would be a different reason like that they were not married. Maybe worth getting one certificate?
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Carolyn

There's always the possibility that there were three different fathers!

In one case I remember, the couple lived together for many years and had numerous children but the father's name never appeared on the birth certificate and I can only think it was because they didn't know it could! On one census return, she is described as "wife" but the enumerator has written "they are not married" in the margin. Smacks of local spite to me!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Carolyn

There's always the possibility that there were three different fathers!

OC
                          ...Didn't like to think that way
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

This one is even worse, we think her Brother fathered the children.

Comment

Oh Val! Why do you think that?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                This one is even worse, we think her Brother fathered the children.
                                I have one of those, only one child, well the rumour was in the family, guess will never proved. :(
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

have been in touch with someone much closer to them than me, and they have always thought that, not sure what proof they have so am checking it out.

Comment

Working...
                                  X