Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• watt family

can anyone help i have a thomas watt 1829c place moyadam, antrim ireland
    he married ellen murray in 1854 donegore antrim they had 3 children john james 1855,francis1857, thomas 1860.
    I am trying to find his father and mother where do i look any info would be grate thanks brave

GRONI (General Register Office Northern Ireland) has a marriage 12th May 1854 between Thomas Watts and Eleanor Murray - is that the one?

If so then you can obtain the details directly from GRONI for a few credits, which should include his father's name & occupation. Witnesses may also provide clues.

Comment

As teasie has said, you should get the father’s names from the 1854 marriage certificate. However the couples births are before the start of statutory birth registration (1864) and so you won't find birth certificates for them. You might find their baptisms, if the records survive. And even if they do survive, those records may not be on-line.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, which should be on the marriage certificate (unless it was a Register Office marriage). So you may find her baptism and that of any siblings in those records.

Donegore 1st Presbyterian church has baptisms from 1805, Donegore 2nd from 1848 and Donegore Church of Ireland’s early records were destroyed in the 1922 fire in Dublin, so they have none before 1878. Muckamore Presbyterian has no baptisms before 1861. There are several other churches in the area, so there's quite a choice. Where records do exist, you normally have to go into PRONI in Belfast to look them up.

I had a look in Griffiths Valuation for Moyadam in 1862. There were no Watt(s) households listed. That, and the fact the land was all agricultural, suggests the Watt(s) family may have been labourers. They are always tricky to trace as they tended to move around to follow available work. (In contrast, farmers tended to stay put). The moving around tended to mean they may have used different churches. Moyadam is just on the south side of Parkgate village. Some of it has housing now and some is still agricultural land.

You could search the death records for Thomas Watt’s father, and then if you find it, it should tell you whether his wife had pre-deceased him. If still alive, she might be the informant. Moyadam is in the Antrim civil registration area. Death certs from 1878 onwards are viewable free on the irishgenealogy site (link below). Those for 1864 to 1877 are not free yet and you would need to pay to view them on the GRONI site (link below). Thomas Watt’s father is likely to have been born before around 1809 or earlier, and so that may help eliminate some of the deaths on that site. If he died before 1864, there will be no death certificate, and if he was a labourer, there’s unlikely to be a gravestone. Most couldn’t afford one.

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

You can view the original death certificates 1864 – 1877 on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.
      Last edited by Elwyn; 07-04-19, 15:51.
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

thankyou for all your help

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
        As teasie has said, you should get the father’s names from the 1854 marriage certificate. However the couples births are before the start of statutory birth registration (1864) and so you won't find birth certificates for them. You might find their baptisms, if the records survive. And even if they do survive, those records may not be on-line.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, which should be on the marriage certificate (unless it was a Register Office marriage). So you may find her baptism and that of any siblings in those records.

Donegore 1st Presbyterian church has baptisms from 1805, Donegore 2nd from 1848 and Donegore Church of Ireland’s early records were destroyed in the 1922 fire in Dublin, so they have none before 1878. Muckamore Presbyterian has no baptisms before 1861. There are several other churches in the area, so there's quite a choice. Where records do exist, you normally have to go into PRONI in Belfast to look them up.

I had a look in Griffiths Valuation for Moyadam in 1862. There were no Watt(s) households listed. That, and the fact the land was all agricultural, suggests the Watt(s) family may have been labourers. They are always tricky to trace as they tended to move around to follow available work. (In contrast, farmers tended to stay put). The moving around tended to mean they may have used different churches. Moyadam is just on the south side of Parkgate village. Some of it has housing now and some is still agricultural land.

You could search the death records for Thomas Watt’s father, and then if you find it, it should tell you whether his wife had pre-deceased him. If still alive, she might be the informant. Moyadam is in the Antrim civil registration area. Death certs from 1878 onwards are viewable free on the irishgenealogy site (link below). Those for 1864 to 1877 are not free yet and you would need to pay to view them on the GRONI site (link below). Thomas Watt’s father is likely to have been born before around 1809 or earlier, and so that may help eliminate some of the deaths on that site. If he died before 1864, there will be no death certificate, and if he was a labourer, there’s unlikely to be a gravestone. Most couldn’t afford one.

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

You can view the original death certificates 1864 – 1877 on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.
        when searching I found Thomas watt 1805 marriage Margaret Drennan about 1825 ballybracken antrim
        they had a son francis 1826 a girl mary ann 1828 the Thomas born 1829 was a gardener I hopeing this is his parents I am new to this site so still trying to find my way hope we can keep in touch as my late grandad had irish roots his name was Thomas Harold madden but need to work more on that side of the family thankyou again brave.

Comment

Originally posted by brave View Post
          when searching I found Thomas watt 1805 marriage Margaret Drennan about 1825 ballybracken antrim
          they had a son francis 1826 a girl mary ann 1828 the Thomas born 1829 was a gardener I hopeing this is his parents I am new to this site so still trying to find my way hope we can keep in touch as my late grandad had irish roots his name was Thomas Harold madden but need to work more on that side of the family thankyou again brave.
          Why do you believe that Thomas b c 1829’s father was also named Thomas? Have you checked the 1854 marriage certificate, as teasie suggested? (I think not). If you do, you’ll find his father is named James. So the Thomas who married Margaret Drennan is some other family.
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Working...
          X