No announcement yet.

Details of a death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have all been very helpful. I think this was a family secret and my friend just wanted to know what he did and why.
    I will look at the links as I live in Suffolk.
    Secrets are not good
    Regards
    Ann

Comment

Earlier certs may have been more forthcoming over possible suicides and I have a 1931 Death cert which leaves me in no doubt,but these days certs are often wrapped up in a way that you can still be left wondering whether it was suicide or not. I had a possivle suicide in 1966 and although I have the death cert I am still left feeling unsure as the cert states Toxic Myocarditis and Pneumonia. The Toxic bit may be a clue but I cannot be a hundred % sure. I think wrapping it up in medical jargon is done to shield relatives and something done fairly recently. I tried to fond out more by weiting to the hospital,but came up against a 100 year ruling so doubtful you will get details in the paper. I certainly never found anything with mine.

But yes I would certainly start with the death Cert to see what that says.

Janet

Comment

As children in 1949 we heard the family quietly discussing a death and the cause was head in the oven and I did go to a burial . My brothers and I never discussed the incident but a few years back working on family history my aunt said the death was from flu. My brothers agreed that this was not what we remembered so I obtained the death certificate Influenza and chronic nephritis ...the odd thing was that it states that his brother was with him when he died. The relative was only 30 years old and his marriage had recently ended, my aunt gave a brief detail why his marriage failed but my understanding is that his brother was not with him when he died but he was the one they all relied on to " sort things out "

Comment

A young woman in OH's tree committed suicide back in 1851. I found the Coroner's Report by Googling her name .......... and it was all reported in its full gruesome detail, and why they thought she'd done (employer had accused her of stealing).
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks everyone
            Regards Ann

Comment

Any death where there is a suggestion or possibility of suicide will almost certainly go to inquest. So look at the informant column - if there was an inquest, the coroner will always be the informant. But it is true that coroners are reluctant to return a verdict of suicide if there is ANY doubt as to the intention of the person, or suggestion of lack of competency (e.g. through mental illness), even when others may think it is fairly obvious.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

My grandmother walked in on a neighbour with her head in the oven and called an ambulance. She said later that no good came of her intervention, the woman was sent to prison and later to a mental institution and her three children spent the rest of their childhood in care.

OC

Comment

I did wonder about an inquest. Lots of information to follow up on
                  Regards
                  Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    My grandmother walked in on a neighbour with her head in the oven and called an ambulance. She said later that no good came of her intervention, the woman was sent to prison and later to a mental institution and her three children spent the rest of their childhood in care.

OC
                    That happened to me once when three of us discovered a friend in this position in the mid 1950's. We qickly tries to resuscitate him and crossing our fingers everything would be alright. It wasn't the first time he had done this as we knew, although it was the first time I had seen him like this. We just watched over him all night but decided against calling an ambulance for the very reasons you have stated. We were lucky and he recovered but I often wonder what would have happened to us if he had not survived. I did not stay around after that. They were dreadful times to have to decide something that went against the grain to save someone from prison and mental Institution. We have at least moded on in that respect.

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 09-04-19, 20:27.

Comment

Working...
                    X