Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major Brickwall- Trying to find the parents of Silas B. Jones in SE MO about 1830

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Brickwall- Trying to find the parents of Silas B. Jones in SE MO about 1830

Hello. I'm new to this forum and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for research. I've been working on my family tree for about nine years now. My paternal line, however, has been a brick wall that I've been trying to break through since the beginning. My ggg grandfather was Silas B. Jones born (according to his military enlistment papers) in New Madrid, MO about 1831.

I've been able to find an incredible amount of information on him after 1850. I have him on the 1850 census in Cape Girardeau, MO working as a laborer on another family's farm (off the top of my head, I believe the name was Poe). I have his marriage to Evaline Boon(e) in 1853. On the 1860 census, he was still living in Cape Girardeau with his family and enlisted in the 29th Missouri in 1862. I also have copies of the pension files for his widow and and minor children after he died in 1863 which includes the adoption (it doesn't use the word adoption, but that's basically what it was) of his children by Luke Smith (kind of cool story: my parents didn't know it at the time, but they named me after him) who married Evaline in the 1870's. I also have the family eventually moving to Tennessee.

I've searched newspapers, birth and death records, and will and probate records. I've found a couple Jones families in the 1840 census, but unfortunately only the head of household is listed by name. So it's next to impossible to confirm any are Silas' parents.

I've done a DNA test through ancestry and the Y-DNA test through Family Tree DNA. Some of my matches from the Y-DNA test have told me I'm descendant from Jonas Nilsson who was born in Sweden in 1620 and was a founder of New Sweden in PA. I've tried working backwards by researching his children, grandchildren, etc, but the records for many of them eventually become much harder to find.

I'm curious if anyone with more experience than me has worked through issues like this and has any suggestions of other routes I can take to try to find the parents of Silas and fill in that 200 year gap between Jonas and Silas. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Luke Jones
Working...
X